Maxpreps 2022 GOTW article

Las Vegas_JC

2 hours ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

Hamilton owns Gorman at this point. 2-0 vs the Gaels. I’m just hoping that this team does not implode like they did last year vs Hamilton. It should be a good one I’ll be there. 

This team won't be anywhere near as good as last year and Gorman was destroying them before that implosion at the end

• Like 1

13 hours ago, steeler01 said:

This team won't be anywhere near as good as last year and Gorman was destroying them before that implosion at the end

Hamilton has a good deal coming back from last year and IMO is probably better equipped for postseason success than last year (they leaned heavy on the passing game last season which has a wretched record here come postseason). I don't know how that will translate to out of state matchups but this senior class was very highly regarded (and successful) coming up through the lower levels.

55 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Buford having 3 games listed as GOTW is a bit much for my eyes.

There really isn't any science when it comes to high school football. Just throw it out there and people will run with it.

Of course it's only May.

Yeah, the two OOS Buford games are good. Could have done without the Mill Creek game and made room for some other team from somewhere else really. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Yeah, the two OOS Buford games are good. Could have done without the Mill Creek game and made room for some other team from somewhere else really. 

St Joes Philly took 3 losses last year....they are riding with the "name" in 2022....they play a lot of quality OOS games though. They play STA, FL this year too.

SJP 2021

St. Joseph's Prep (Philadelphia, PA)   team preview   trend Pennsylvania Philadelphia Catholic - Red AAAAAA 11-3 3-1 (t 1st) 7-2 55.0 38.9 118-49
WINS: #261 La Salle (Wyndmoor, PA) (35-7), #268 Garnet Valley (Glen Mills, PA) (49-13), #370 Middletown (DE) (24-6), #551 Gonzaga (Washington, DC) (35-3), #835 Freedom (Bethlehem, PA) (24-21), #945 Archbishop Wood (Warminster, PA) (38-20), #945 Archbishop Wood (Warminster, PA) (17-14), #1404 St. Mary's Ryken (Leonardtown, MD) (40-0), #1954 Northeast (Philadelphia, PA) (41-6), #2472 Father Judge (Philadelphia, PA) (21-13), #2866 Roman Catholic (Philadelphia, PA) (44-14), LOSSES: #25 Milton (GA) (28-21), #61 Mt. Lebanon (Pittsburgh, PA) (35-17), #261 La Salle (Wyndmoor, PA) (28-21)

Buford/Thompson is large, in my opinion.....

6 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Hamilton has a good deal coming back from last year and IMO is probably better equipped for postseason success than last year (they leaned heavy on the passing game last season which has a wretched record here come postseason). I don't know how that will translate to out of state matchups but this senior class was very highly regarded (and successful) coming up through the lower levels.

They just lost their best players. Last year was a strong year for Arizona at the top with Hamilton,  Chandler and Saguaro. 

Players they lost

3 Star DE Russell Davies

3 Star QB Nicco Marichol

3 Star OL Grayson Stovall

3 Star TE Michael Masunas

CB Ottawa University Joel Gant

OL Ottawa University Jacob Lozano

WR Ottawa University Dwayne Ross

LB Alabama State Grant Degraffenreid

OL Jacob Jones

DB Tre Tate

DT Dawson Hubbard

I can't see Hamilton being better then last year

1 hour ago, steeler01 said:

They just lost their best players. Last year was a strong year for Arizona at the top with Hamilton,  Chandler and Saguaro. 

Players they lost

3 Star DE Russell Davies

3 Star QB Nicco Marichol

3 Star OL Grayson Stovall

3 Star TE Michael Masunas

CB Ottawa University Joel Gant

OL Ottawa University Jacob Lozano

WR Ottawa University Dwayne Ross

LB Alabama State Grant Degraffenreid

OL Jacob Jones

DB Tre Tate

DT Dawson Hubbard

I can't see Hamilton being better then last year

That doesn't seem like an impressive group of star power.

They probably pick up better players than that this year.

All those Arizona schools out there add to the rosters during the offseason.

50 minutes ago, RedZone said:

That doesn't seem like an impressive group of star power.

They probably pick up better players than that this year.

All those Arizona schools out there add to the rosters during the offseason.

Most of those kids were 2 year starters for Hamilton and a couple they picked up from Colorado after covid. 

They also had a 4 star and 3 star transfer out last year

11 hours ago, steeler01 said:

Most of those kids were 2 year starters for Hamilton and a couple they picked up from Colorado after covid. 

They also had a 4 star and 3 star transfer out last year

They also have their top two rushers back (and their fourth leading one as well), a six-foot-four three star recruit at receiver, a senior safety with nine D1 offers this offseason, two linebackers with a combined ten offers between them, and nine seniors overall with at least one D1 offer. Yes they lost some guys and I'm not saying they'll beat Gorman or win a state title, but for every guy they lost there's a pretty clear replacement at the ready; that's what happens when you have an enrollment of 3500 kids and are in an open enrollment state.

When I say Hamilton is better equipped for postseason success that's a term I use intentionally. Do I think they're more talented than they were last year? No I don't. Based on history though I'm confident in saying that when an Arizona team loses a blue chip quarterback it is overwhelmingly addition by subtraction with respect to postseason success. 

2 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

They also have their top two rushers back (and their fourth leading one as well), a six-foot-four three star recruit at receiver, a senior safety with nine D1 offers this offseason, two linebackers with a combined ten offers between them, and nine seniors overall with at least one D1 offer. Yes they lost some guys and I'm not saying they'll beat Gorman or win a state title, but for every guy they lost there's a pretty clear replacement at the ready; that's what happens when you have an enrollment of 3500 kids and are in an open enrollment state.

When I say Hamilton is better equipped for postseason success that's a term I use intentionally. Do I think they're more talented than they were last year? No I don't. Based on history though I'm confident in saying that when an Arizona team loses a blue chip quarterback it is overwhelmingly addition by subtraction with respect to postseason success. 

Postseason success has a lot to do with opponents as well.  Will Saguaro and Chandler be better?

2020 Hamilton made the finals,  and missed a 24 yd fg to win the state championship. They weren't better then the 2021 version, but they got farther

4 hours ago, steeler01 said:

Postseason success has a lot to do with opponents as well.  Will Saguaro and Chandler be better?

2020 Hamilton made the finals,  and missed a 24 yd fg to win the state championship. They weren't better then the 2021 version, but they got farther

Isn't Chandler the team that got Raiola from Burleson?

On 5/12/2022 at 4:13 PM, RedZone said:

Buford having 3 games listed as GOTW is a bit much for my eyes.

There really isn't any science when it comes to high school football. Just throw it out there and people will run with it.

Of course it's only May.

You think?

yep print them in May and those will bitch

Maxpreps will see your post and learn

Lots of better OOS games 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 7:18 AM, steeler01 said:

In Arizona's top two divisions there have only been two championship teams since 2004 that have ran for less than 200 yards a game. Opponents are a factor but 2021's reality says Chandler had their worst team since at least 2015 (probably more accurate to say since 2013) while the only thing notable about this Saguaro squad versus their previous editions was they had the ability to bench a D1-bound quarterback for the playoffs simply to create a matchup nightmare for their opponents. If anything there's an argument to be made that 2021 was a down year for Arizona football.

In Arizona having a blue chip, Power 5 quarterback has historically been a detriment to championship aspirations (see Spencer Rattler, Jack Miller, Ryan Kelly, and Kyle Allen). I don't look at a team like Hamilton losing their starting quarterback as a significant loss because in our top divisions you're not winning postseason games leaning on that guy. With the other losses you have guys already on the roster that logically make sense to fill those spots (Deuce Davis is probably the most notable departure but the d-end opposite him had 8.5 sacks and 20 TFLs as a junior) or are talking about guys that are going to NAIA Ottawa despite the exposure that comes from playing on a national top 25 team. 

TL, DR - if Hamilton emphasizes running the ball like they did in 2020 I will not be surprised to see them take a step up in 2022.

• Like 1