Ambidextrous QB?

Las Vegas_JC

18 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Interesting. Looks pretty smooth with it on the little twitter highlight film. 

We should try keeping up with his stats and see how he makes out in real games. Would be interested to know how much "switching" he does in games as well. 

Interesting, but not sure I see the be benefit? I mean maybe I can see if his right arm gets hurt he can go lefty or vice versa. But it’s not like a pictcher that is going to utilize one side of the other for matchups to their benefit.

1 hour ago, Cossacks said:

Interesting, but not sure I see the be benefit? I mean maybe I can see if his right arm gets hurt he can go lefty or vice versa. But it’s not like a pictcher that is going to utilize one side of the other for matchups to their benefit.

If you can roll out to the left/right and throw equally well with each arm that's a pretty big asset to have and utilize.

I don't really know anything about this prospect though. Most switch hitters in baseball still have a dominant side..... I'm not even sure they have switch hitters anymore. 

19 minutes ago, RedZone said:

If you can roll out to the left/right and throw equally well with each arm that's a pretty big asset to have and utilize.

I don't really know anything about this prospect though. Most switch hitters in baseball still have a dominant side..... I'm not even sure they have switch hitters anymore. 

Yeah I was thinking about the roll out capabilities. But also being a lefty myself, it’s been pointed out to me it’s harder to catch a left handed spin just due to the unfamiliarity.

Also blocking schemes and blind side change. There’s a reason why a left tackle is much more coveted than a right tackle. Now you expose the blind side of your lefty QB with possibly a weaker lineman on his blind side or you have to switch your tackles (obvious tell). I have seen teams have switched their strong side and weak sign lines during a game. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

Yeah I was thinking about the roll out capabilities. But also being a lefty myself, it’s been pointed out to me it’s harder to catch a left handed spin just due to the unfamiliarity.

Also blocking schemes and blind side change. There’s a reason why a left tackle is much more coveted than a right tackle. Now you expose the blind side of your lefty QB with possibly a weaker lineman on his blind side or you have to switch your tackles (obvious tell). I have seen teams have switched their strong side and weak sign lines during a game. 

I was expecting to see some type of weakness or major flaw in one of his throwing arms. But his arms and throws seem to be equally strong. In my case I’m right handed and I can barely do anything with my left hand or arm. I can’t write or draw or throw with my left arm. It must have taken a few years or training to do what he does. I’m not sure. 

I do think that some offensive minded guru can utilize his skills in an RPO offense to their advantage. 

If this kid could pitch effectively with his right or left arm he would make a great baseball prospect. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Interesting. Looks pretty smooth with it on the little twitter highlight film. 

We should try keeping up with his stats and see how he makes out in real games. Would be interested to know how much "switching" he does in games as well. 

Hey ESPN put this kid on TV. If he does switch arms during actual game play that would interesting to watch. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

I was expecting to see some type of weakness or major flaw in one of his throwing arms. But his arms and throws seem to be equally strong. In my case I’m right handed and I can barely do anything with my left hand or arm. I can’t write or draw or throw with my left arm. It must have taken a few years or training to do what he does. I’m not sure. 

I do think that some offensive minded guru can utilize his skills in an RPO offense to their advantage. 

If this kid could pitch effectively with his right or left arm he would make a great baseball prospect. 

I throw left handed. But hit and golf right handed. Same with my younger brother. My dad is right handed but swung bat lefty, golfed righty. I shoot guns left handed, but am right eye dominant and can shoot equally well unsupported right hand just as well. Used to be a able to throw a football 25 + yards right handed. Can write pretty well right handed as well.  So I’m semi-ambidextrous I guess? Really haven’t seen any benefit.

10 hours ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

If he could use a nail gun with both arms you would be all giddy! 😂

Imagine how great a roofer he could make if he could center himself in the center of three shingles and pass the nail gun from one hand to the other. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrup 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

That ain't a big deal.

I can drink margaritas with either hand.  

And YES...I can drink them alternately left to right OR right to left.

(Yawn)

Rufus>>

On occasion it has been known to take both hands.

• Haha 2

Are people typically ambidextrous with both hands and feet? If I tried to drop back as a lefty QB I'd probably fall on my face. But there could be an advantage when rolling out. I don't know a lot about O line, but it would it be an advantage with certain blocking schemes or if there is a much stronger rush from one side? 

Regardless, it's impressive. Apparently only 1% of the population is ambidextrous, and there's a lot of other interesting things associated.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GoBigBlack said:

Are people typically ambidextrous with both hands and feet? If I tried to drop back as a lefty QB I'd probably fall on my face. But there could be an advantage when rolling out. I don't know a lot about O line, but it would it be an advantage with certain blocking schemes or if there is a much stronger rush from one side? 

Regardless, it's impressive. Apparently only 1% of the population is ambidextrous, and there's a lot of other interesting things associated.

That’s @ChimpGripterorrity, he’s sucked a few left and right feet I’m sure.

• Haha 3

I actually figured it was just a matter of until we started seeing this. With more and more parents starting their kids out early like Earl Woods and wanting to break new ground.

Lo and behold I’ve now had an ambidextrous tennis player and a football player brought to my attention over the past week.

FWIW, this topic has always fascinated me because I’m ambidextrous and have wondered why more athletes haven’t tried this.