Why is Saban pissed ?

Wildcat Will

Because a trend is about to begin and it is going to hurt his aspirations for further dominance in college football. This happenstance of top flight players going to HBCU's is real. 

Expect more to come. As a matter of fact, a strong Bama recruit, a top player from Alabama, has put JSU in his top 3, along with Alabama.

Could Saban be scared of the little school embarassing the Tide by coach Prime flipping a 5 star?

It wouldn’t be flipping him if he’s not committed to Alabama. I don’t see a ton of the top players heading to HBCU’s becoming a common thing, even though it should be. Maybe a few every year. Just can’t match the resources at some of these other schools. I just read that Miami is building a brand new $100 Million football facility. How much value would $100M add to an HBCU? Jackson states endowment ($60M) is less than what major football program facilities cost.

Let’s just say Jackson state did pay Travis hunter $1 million to go to school there. How many other players can they go get with $. The NIL market, alumni & donor money just doesn’t compare to these huge schools in bigger markets that get more exposure. Texas a&m had a collective of over $30 million just for this past recruiting cycle. There has to be rules implemented and guard rails to keep this from getting worse but how can you tell a kid to turn down 7 or 8 figures guaranteed, and a free education while playing in the best conference with the most exposure. It just doesn’t make sense. The NIL and collective representatives of these schools are now legally able to give out life changing amounts of money to these kids to come and play there. If HBCU’s can’t match that, then like I said I think they’ll get a couple top players annually but they’ll be no threat to the big P5 teams. Just the unfortunate reality of the situation. Recruits shouldn’t sign to the highest bidder, but since they are now legally allowed to, we know where they’re going to go play. 

7 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

It wouldn’t be flipping him if he’s not committed to Alabama. I don’t see a ton of the top players heading to HBCU’s becoming a common thing, even though it should be. Maybe a few every year. Just can’t match the resources at some of these other schools. I just read that Miami is building a brand new $100 Million football facility. How much value would $100M add to an HBCU? Jackson states endowment ($60M) is less than what major football program facilities cost.

Let’s just say Jackson state did pay Travis hunter $1 million to go to school there. How many other players can they go get with $. The NIL market, alumni & donor money just doesn’t compare to these huge schools in bigger markets that get more exposure. Texas a&m had a collective of over $30 million just for this past recruiting cycle. There has to be rules implemented and guard rails to keep this from getting worse but how can you tell a kid to turn down 7 or 8 figures guaranteed and a free education while playing in the best conference with the most exposure. It just doesn’t make sense. The schools are now legally able to give out life changing amounts of money to these kids to come and play there. If HBCU’s can’t match that, then like I said I think they’ll get a couple top players annually but they’ll be no threat to the big P5 teams. Just the unfortunate reality of the situation. Recruits shouldn’t sign to the highest bidder, but since they are now legally allowed to, we know where they’re going to go play. 

You fail to understand my point. It is simply a matter of athletes realizing that he can go pro from a HBCU just as easy as he could from a power 5 conference, if he is a 5 star and continues to excel on the field. Those charged with identifying taent knows where you are.

A player of color having the opportunity to experience a game between 2 rivals in the MEAC or other conferences with HBCU's, will marvel at the atmosphere. Being able to perform in front of those like you means more than the new stadium in Miami to some.

Remove the thinking of monolithic actions by these athletes.

9 minutes ago, Wildcat Will said:

You fail to understand my point. It is simply a matter of athletes realizing that he can go pro from a HBCU just as easy as he could from a power 5 conference, if he is a 5 star and continues to excel on the field. Those charged with identifying taent knows where you are.

A player of color having the opportunity to experience a game between 2 rivals in the MEAC or other conferences with HBCU's, will marvel at the atmosphere. Being able to perform in front of those like you means more than the new stadium in Miami to some.

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever....

1 hour ago, Wildcat Will said:

Because a trend is about to begin and it is going to hurt his aspirations for further dominance in college football. This happenstance of top flight players going to HBCU's is real. 

Expect more to come. As a matter of fact, a strong Bama recruit, a top player from Alabama, has put JSU in his top 3, along with Alabama.

Could Saban be scared of the little school embarassing the Tide by coach Prime flipping a 5 star?

I don’t see top players going Hbcu until they start schdueling and beating teams like Ohio State  Alabama LSU ND

3 hours ago, Wildcat Will said:

I didn’t fail to understand your point as neither of us mentioned the NFL or ones ability to make the league from D1/2/3 NAIA. I’m talking about the blatant advantages certain schools have over others and how that impacts a family’s decision on where a kid chooses to go to school. Perform in front of those like you? Football fans don’t have a race, I think it’s awesome that sports bring everyone together to root for a team regardless of color. If you think that a black player performing in front of an only black crowd is an important factor in an athletes decision on where he goes to school that’s completely fine. No problems from me on that. I do think you should also factor in the resources and other benefits a student athlete can receive from these bigger schools. 

Of course a player can go pro from an HBCU, not a question. Just as easily? Not even close to true. HBCU’s had 4 players invited to NFL combine this year and zero invited last year. They had to literally create and HBCU combine. There were also 4 total players from HBCU’s drafted in the entire draft. There are single schools doing 3-4 times that amount of players drafted. If Travis hunter has 3 great years at Jackson state he will be drafted in the top rounds, no denying that. He should have an immediate impact because the talent discrepancy is so drastic between him and his teammates/competition. I think it’s great what prime is doing. He signed a great class. 

I’m not dismissing the atmosphere you talk about between HBCU rivals, I’m sure it’s incredible. I also said there should be more top athletes going to HBCU’s, but then gave reasons as to why they don’t. Let’s play the hypothetical, Travis hunter said his mother is single and lives in a 3 bedroom house with his 5 siblings (per his Twitter). If you and your child were in the same position and had schools offering 7-8 figures immediately, more exposure and better resources, and arguably a better education (because most top professors want to be compensated properly, not all but most and the bigger schools can afford to pay more to the top professors, just how it is) would you advise your child to choose the HBCU over guaranteed life changing money, every resource in the world to get you to the league, competing against the best competition, and maximum exposure? I don’t see that as selling out at all, that’s just a smart move. Not that going HBCU is not a smart move, not what I’m saying at all. Some booster is giving you millions at 17 years old? Logically I just don’t see how that makes sense to go the other way especially in the game of football. Cliche or not, one bad injury and you’re done. Not here to argue, just logically make it make sense to me. You can call it monolithic thinking but that would be like someone coming up to me in high school and saying here’s $5 million and every resource you need to succeed to go compete at the highest level or you can go to an all white school and play in front of only white fans. I’m taking the better opportunity, period. I know it’s different, and I’m clearly not trying to make this into a race thing because like I’ve said I do think HBCU’s should be more prominent. Just trying to make that hypothetical from my end because I am not a POC. I hope HBCU’s can level the playing field, there’s just a long way to go.

2 hours ago, Wildcat Will said:

Kids today really don’t care about these things honestly. We’ve heard for decades if Norte Dame locked down every top Catholic athlete they’d be undefeated every year. Yet they don’t nearly get all the top ones. BYU might be the closest to accomplishing this and they don’t even get every top LDS athlete. It’s just not what kids/teenagers are driven by. 99% of them will take the opportunity for big time exposure first and foremost.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

Kids today really don’t care about these things honestly. We’ve heard for decades if Norte Dame locked down every top Catholic athlete they’d be undefeated every year. Yet they don’t nearly get all the top ones. BYU might be the closest to accomplishing this and they don’t even get every top LDS athlete. It’s just not what kids/teenagers are driven by. 99% of them will take the opportunity for big time exposure first and foremost.

That is the traditional view. Do not think for one moment that the societal situation does not shape a person's choice. A player may simply want to play for a certain coach, like coach Prime. That player may have a family histiry of attending a HBCU. 

There are any number of reasons why a kid chooses a school.

Again, stop trying to say athletes are monolithic in their thoughts as to what goes into making a college choice.

28 minutes ago, Wildcat Will said:

That is the traditional view. Do not think for one moment that the societal situation does not shape a person's choice. A player may simply want to play for a certain coach, like coach Prime. That player may have a family histiry of attending a HBCU. 

There are any number of reasons why a kid chooses a school.

Again, stop trying to say athletes are monolithic in their thoughts as to what goes into making a college choice.

Of course there are a lot of reasons why a kid chooses a school. Is it a good fit? Close to home? Does it offer my major? Are you interested in film? USC would be top of your list, sportscasting, yeah you might just gravitate to Syracuse. Sure family legacy as well. But I’ve actually seen some dumb kid say he liked the schools uniforms and that played a big part in his college choice 😂. So that is kind of what we’re dealing with these days.

I do think there is some reinvigorated interest from young athletes toward hbcu football programs. 

It does seem like as far as the mainstream part, it came along with Deion getting a lot of attention in the media. 

Whether or not that will become a trend has yet to be seen. 

Folks are missing point of the social changes in this country that are making HBCUs attractive in every regard. 

if you don’t think these decisions aren’t partially driven by the polarization of our country’s politics then you’re choosing to be blind to those facts  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I do think there is some reinvigorated interest from young athletes toward hbcu football programs. 

It does seem like as far as the mainstream part, it came along with Deion getting a lot of attention in the media. 

Whether or not that will become a trend has yet to be seen. 

Black college football (HBCU) is FCS football and will always be FCS football.

We have two of the best black college football programs in America in Grambling State and Southern University..... both have been ranked in the FCS polls before.

There really is no trend. Black colleges and FCS programs have been picking up transfers from D1 schools for years. The kid Sanders paid x amount of dollars to probably won't even stand out that much.

It is what is.....

The New Orleans Superdome is home to the Bayou Classic every year between Grambling St and Southern every year. It's a huge weekend event here and draws close to 70,000 most years at the dome.

No Louisiana kids are going to go to Southern and Grambling St just to play in that game in front of 70,000 black fans.

3 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Black college football (HBCU) is FCS football and will always be FCS football.

We have two of the best black college football programs in America in Grambling State and Southern University..... both have been ranked in the FCS polls before.

There really is no trend. Black colleges and FCS programs have been picking up transfers from D1 schools for years. The kid Sanders paid x amount of dollars to probably won't even stand out that much.

It is what is.....

The New Orleans Superdome is home to the Bayou Classic every year between Grambling St and Southern every year. It's a huge weekend event here and draws close to 70,000 most years at the dome.

No Louisiana kids are going to go to Southern and Grambling St just to play in that game in front of 70,000 black fans.

I just know that I've never seen a Colquitt kid ask about or tweet or anything about "Where are the hbcu's at?" until this year. 

This coming from a kid with offers from everywhere that's anywhere. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I just know that I've never seen a Colquitt kid ask about or tweet or anything about "Where are the hbcu's at?" until this year. 

Most every kid in Louisiana knows about Grambling St and Southern here. They are quality football options.

They are both actually covered as well as the D1 programs here by the media outlets.

Grambling St has sent many players to the NFL and have a couple Hall of Famers too. I have to check that out, but I believe so.

If black colleges are going to start throwing money at players it could be a game changer for a select few.

1 minute ago, RedZone said:

Most every kid in Louisiana knows about Grambling St and Southern here. They are quality football options.

They are both actually covered as well as the D1 programs here by the media outlets.

Grambling St has sent many players to the NFL and have a couple Hall of Famers too. I have to check that out, but I believe so.

If black colleges are going to start throwing money at players it could be a game changer for a select few.

Matter of fact Southern University had a kid drafted this year.

One more than the Texas Longhorns. 

Be nice, Red. 🙂

16 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

It’s happening in a lot of places, Texas kids tweet that out too. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cossacks said:

Of course there are a lot of reasons why a kid chooses a school. Is it a good fit? Close to home? Does it offer my major? Are you interested in film? USC would be top of your list, sportscasting, yeah you might just gravitate to Syracuse. Sure family legacy as well. But I’ve actually seen some dumb kid say he liked the schools uniforms and that played a big part in his college choice 😂. So that is kind of what we’re dealing with these days.

And I have seen can't miss kids go to power 5 schools with all the trappings and never achieve that lofty status they seek.

Times are changing and the athlete of today has a myriad of choices with incentives, no matter where they go.

6 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

It’s happening in a lot of places, Texas kids tweet that out too. 

Some, if not most, never consider the HBCU's. Some have no knowledge of them. Some have no idea of the greats that came from such schools. Ignorance is at fault just as much as anything. When you see the glitz and glitter and you don't know any better, you rush in. 

Need I say more?

Just now, Wildcat Will said:

Some, if not most, never consider the HBCU's. Some have no knowledge of them. Some have no idea of the greats that came from such schools. Ignorance is at fault just as much as anything. When you see the glitz and glitter and you don't know any better, you rush in. 

Need I say more?

Please do....

Rufus>>

6 minutes ago, Wildcat Will said:

Need I say more?

That’s changing though, many kids of today are learning of the HBCU legacy and considering them as a valid option 

Just now, Rufus69 said:

Please do....

Rufus>>

No problem. The conditions in many homes of the young athlete are not ideal, with most suffering from societal ill's that many are aware of and some  are not aware of. Living in a situation or place that has little prospects of escaping, allows for the mental development of certain thoughts associated with decision making, no matter the subject.