Fryer: Men in Black will bring big, necessary changes to Mater Dei athletics

Slotback Right

The new administrators have a great deal of work to do to reform Mater Dei’s image.

Black is the new red at Mater Dei.

The recent installment of Servite’s Joel Hartmann as Mater Dei’s executive director of athletics a couple of months after former Servite principal Michael Brennan was named president at Mater Dei makes it look like Servite people are being hired to clean up Mater Dei’s mess.

This is a delicious development for Servite people but nauseating for Mater Dei people who don’t like seeing men in black, Servite’s prominent color scheme, wearing Mater Dei red these days.

Hartmann worked at Servite for 32 years, including the past 18 years as associate athletic director. Brennan was Servite’s principal from 2006 through the 2020-21 school year.

...Changes are coming.

The 2022 season is likely to be Bruce Rollinson’s final season as Mater Dei’s football coach. His departure will have the “on his own terms” look that he deserves but would not get if he left before summer camp begins.

Some will say he should have been ousted last fall when the hazing allegation arose and was followed by more unsavory reports. High school coaches say “if that happened at my school, I’d have been fired in 60 seconds.”

... The past several years have seen high achievement but low behavior. Nobody seemed willing to horse-collar a kid and say “we don’t do that here, and you’re not playing” often enough to make a difference.

...Brennan and Hartmann, with the support of the Diocese of Orange that placed them at Mater Dei, will correct that and more. Essential to that effort will be the coach who replaces Rollinson.

...Lenny Vandermade is a Mater Dei guy.

Vandermade, an assistant coach at USC, was an All-Orange County lineman at Mater Dei in 1997 and ’98. He was Santa Margarita offensive coordinator and offensive line coach in 2016 and ‘17.

And Vandermade will be interested in becoming Rollinson’s successor.

“Absolutely,” said Vandermade, 41.  “That’s home for me. I love the place and I love the community.”

...The men in black were hired to restore balance to the Mater Dei sports galaxy. Vandermade would add just the right amount of scarlet to the palette.

https://www.ocregister.com/2022/05/26/fryer-men-in-black-will-bring-big-necessary-changes-to-mater-dei-athletics/

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Slotback Right said:

The new administrators have a great deal of work to do to reform Mater Dei’s image.

Black is the new red at Mater Dei.

The recent installment of Servite’s Joel Hartmann as Mater Dei’s executive director of athletics a couple of months after former Servite principal Michael Brennan was named president at Mater Dei makes it look like Servite people are being hired to clean up Mater Dei’s mess.

This is a delicious development for Servite people but nauseating for Mater Dei people who don’t like seeing men in black, Servite’s prominent color scheme, wearing Mater Dei red these days.

Hartmann worked at Servite for 32 years, including the past 18 years as associate athletic director. Brennan was Servite’s principal from 2006 through the 2020-21 school year.

...Changes are coming.

The 2022 season is likely to be Bruce Rollinson’s final season as Mater Dei’s football coach. His departure will have the “on his own terms” look that he deserves but would not get if he left before summer camp begins.

Some will say he should have been ousted last fall when the hazing allegation arose and was followed by more unsavory reports. High school coaches say “if that happened at my school, I’d have been fired in 60 seconds.”

... The past several years have seen high achievement but low behavior. Nobody seemed willing to horse-collar a kid and say “we don’t do that here, and you’re not playing” often enough to make a difference.

...Brennan and Hartmann, with the support of the Diocese of Orange that placed them at Mater Dei, will correct that and more. Essential to that effort will be the coach who replaces Rollinson.

...Lenny Vandermade is a Mater Dei guy.

Vandermade, an assistant coach at USC, was an All-Orange County lineman at Mater Dei in 1997 and ’98. He was Santa Margarita offensive coordinator and offensive line coach in 2016 and ‘17.

And Vandermade will be interested in becoming Rollinson’s successor.

“Absolutely,” said Vandermade, 41.  “That’s home for me. I love the place and I love the community.”

...The men in black were hired to restore balance to the Mater Dei sports galaxy. Vandermade would add just the right amount of scarlet to the palette.

https://www.ocregister.com/2022/05/26/fryer-men-in-black-will-bring-big-necessary-changes-to-mater-dei-athletics/

Good article

1 hour ago, Slotback Right said:

The latest rumor is that before they bring in Vandermade as the HC, former Servite coach Larry Toner will be brought in to re-establish discipline for a few years.

Based on what I know, there will be some significant changes in the program, but nothing that is likely to impact the success of the football program in a negative manner.  If people are hoping for some major implosion, they’ll be disappointed.  MD will be number 1 next season once more.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Slotback Right said:

The latest rumor is that before they bring in Vandermade as the HC, former Servite coach Larry Toner will be brought in to re-establish discipline for a few years.

Well, we certainly wouldn’t bring in Troy thomas to help in that department. Lol.

I just looked at Toners record - we definitely wouldn’t bring him in to win games, let alone championships. 56% Ouch. 101 wins in 180 games. 

• Haha 2

You are missing the point Nick. When Toner was brought into Servite, it wasn't to win championships. Immediately prior to Toner's hiring, Servite had defeated Mater Dei 13 out of the previous 17 seasons. The Friars had won 4 Angelus League Championships and two CIF Big-5 Championships. There was one other trip to the finals ('78) and two trips to the semi-finals, including the year before Toner arrived, losing by 3 points to eventual CIF D1 Champion Fountain Valley.

But the school was not happy about a perceived lack of discipline by the football team, both on and off the field.

That is why Toner was hired...to change the behavior and the atmosphere at Servite. The school sacrificed winning, in order to achieve that. 

So if they did bring in Toner, or someone like him, it would be to provide the same change in behavior to Mater Dei.

Perhaps that is what the Diocese has in mind.

Just learned that a "lower level staffer" who went over to MD earlier this year, communicated that he was "surprised by the regularity of fights on campus."

Is it possible that anabolic steroids are at play there? Seems like that could explain the high number of problems they have been having there, No?

What is 'roid rage?

'Roid rage, in many ways, I would characterize as a form of loss of impulse control. It provokes overreactions via a stimulus that normally doesn't produce such a severe reaction.

So say somebody says something to you that you don't like. You may put your fist through a wall. The impulse is there; it's overreaction. Forget the 'roid, for the moment. It's a rage ... and that rage is precipitated by the brain being exposed to anabolic steroids.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/facts-and-myths-about-roid-rage/

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Slotback Right said:

Just learned that a "lower level staffer" who went over to MD earlier this year, communicated that he was "surprised by the regularity of fights on campus."

Is it possible that anabolic steroids are at play there? Seems like that could explain the high number of problems they have been having there, No?

What is 'roid rage?

'Roid rage, in many ways, I would characterize as a form of loss of impulse control. It provokes overreactions via a stimulus that normally doesn't produce such a severe reaction.

So say somebody says something to you that you don't like. You may put your fist through a wall. The impulse is there; it's overreaction. Forget the 'roid, for the moment. It's a rage ... and that rage is precipitated by the brain being exposed to anabolic steroids.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/facts-and-myths-about-roid-rage/

Dumb but on brand for you. Such a stupid and pointless post with zero merit whatsoever. We’ve beaten your ass for so long that it must be because the entire campus is hooked on steroids, right? Also, fights aren’t regular on campus. Post the information of the “lower level staffer” that has said this. You won’t, because you made this up. You would have provided a source if you had one. Grown man gossiping like a girl, it’s pretty funny. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

Dumb but on brand for you. Such a stupid and pointless post with zero merit whatsoever. We’ve beaten your ass for so long that it must be because the entire campus is hooked on steroids, right? Also, fights aren’t regular on campus. Post the information of the “lower level staffer” that has said this. You won’t, because you made this up. You would have provided a source if you had one. Grown man gossiping like a girl, it’s pretty funny. 

Go to bed.  It's 5:30am Central Time.

10 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

. Post the information of the “lower level staffer” that has said this. You won’t, because you made this up. You would have provided a source if you had one. Grown man gossiping like a girl, it’s pretty funny. 

Full disclosure...I don't have a source that would satisfy you. My information is second-hand information from someone who also didn't disclose who told this to him.

That doesn't prove it's true, and doesn't prove it's false. But it is a possibility, which could explain what's been going on repeatedly at Mater Dei.

On 5/28/2022 at 4:53 PM, MD87 said:

If you can't beat 'em...

If you can’t beat ‘em, just go ahead and throw any semblance of morality and integrity you have out the window, break the rules and recruit an all-star team, and then claim how great you are because of what you “built.”