Fryer: Men in Black will bring big, necessary changes to Mater Dei athletics

Slotback Right

3 minutes ago, GoBigBlack said:

If you can’t beat ‘em, just go ahead and throw any semblance of morality and integrity you have out the window, break the rules and recruit an all-star team, and then claim how great you are because of what you “built.” 

Ah yes. Troy Thomas is the poster child for integrity. You know, the guy you ran out a few years back because your donors couldn’t stand him and his antics. Only to bring him and his ways back a few years later. Why? Because you couldn’t win without him. He didn’t fit the “servite way” and was tossed and then brought back because the football program was so bad. Did Troy find the Good Lord during his 1-9 season at Crespi? 3 wins in 35 years. You’re bound to beat MD once in the next few decades!! Just keep holding on brother. 🤞 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

Ah yes. Troy Thomas is the poster child for integrity. You know, the guy you ran out a few years back because your donors couldn’t stand him and his antics. Only to bring him and his ways back a few years later. Why? Because you couldn’t win without him. He didn’t fit the “servite way” and was tossed and then brought back because the football program was so bad. Did Troy find the Good Lord during his 1-9 season at Crespi? 3 wins in 35 years. You’re bound to beat MD once in the next few decades!! Just keep holding on brother. 🤞 

Why would you assume I was talking about Mater Dei?

1 minute ago, GoBigBlack said:

Why would you assume I was talking about Mater Dei?

The entire thread is about Mater Dei. The exact post you quoted was about servite guys leaving to go to MD. Although servite and les fifita have done a good job recruiting & building their version of an all star team recently, I assumed you were speaking about MD. Correct me if I’m wrong. 

Just now, HurricaneNick said:

The entire thread is about Mater Dei. The exact post you quoted was about servite guys leaving to go to MD. Although servite and les fifita have done a good job recruiting & building their version of an all star team recently, I assumed you were speaking about MD. Correct me if I’m wrong. 

I guess we’re both supporting Catholic schools that cheat so “their boys” can beat other boys at a game. 

6 minutes ago, GoBigBlack said:

I guess we’re both supporting Catholic schools that cheat so “their boys” can beat other boys at a game. 

Exactly how has MD cheated? What rule was broken. In 2018 they self-reported that an ineligible player got into the first game of the season and we ended up forfeiting the game. No other rules have been broken. 

6 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

Exactly how has MD cheated? What rule was broken. In 2018 they self-reported that an ineligible player got into the first game of the season and we ended up forfeiting the game. No other rules have been broken. 

No one is cheating. Friar faithful forgets that they started the player transportation by bringing in Inman, fajardo, Kalil bros etc from the inland empire well over a decade ago. There is nothing that Mater Dei does that servite doesn’t or can’t do. Look at what Santa Margarita is building, going to be pretty damn good this year and not breaking a rule. If you can’t get the kids to come in and play you won’t have any success. Servite went all in on winning it all last year. Supported the feeder program, started transfers from other schools, you know all the shit they complain about MD and Bosco doing. There’s only a lack of morals and integrity if you do those things AND win. If you do all those things and lose it’s fine.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

No one is cheating. Friar faithful forgets that they started the player transportation by bringing in Inman, fajardo, Kalil bros etc from the inland empire well over a decade ago. There is nothing that Mater Dei does that servite doesn’t or can’t do. Look at Santa what Margarita is building, going to be pretty damn good this year and not breaking a rule. If you can’t get the kids to come in and play you won’t have any success. Servite went all in on winning it all last year. Supported the feeder program, started transfers from other schools, you know all the shit they complain about MD and Bosco doing. There’s only a lack of morals and integrity if you do those things AND win. If you do all those things and lose it’s fine.

The inaccuracies your post is riddled reveal how ill-informed (or nefarious) you are. You mentioned four players Servite "brought in from the Inland Empire," but there are just a few small problems there. The first guy lived in Yorba Linda and the second in La Habra. That would be Orange County... both cities basically bordering Anaheim. The Kalils did reside in Corona. So maybe you can tell me, since you know everything, who "brought in" Ryan Kalil from Corona? He would be the oldest player you can think of and surely kicked off the whole "Corona pipeline." So who brought him in?

13 minutes ago, GoBigBlack said:

The inaccuracies your post is riddled reveal how ill-informed (or nefarious) you are. You mentioned four players Servite "brought in from the Inland Empire," but there are just a few small problems there. The first guy lived in Yorba Linda and the second in La Habra. That would be Orange County... both cities basically bordering Anaheim. The Kalils did reside in Corona. So maybe you can tell me, since you know everything, who "brought in" Ryan Kalil from Corona? He would be the oldest player you can think of and surely kicked off the whole "Corona pipeline." So who brought him in?

Inman came in from the IE.  I know rajardo played youth ball in Brea but was told he was living in the Ie during high school.  I don’t claim to know everything, get out of your feelings. & servite brought them in champ. The same way they shuttled kids in this past year. If a player of kalils caliber wants to go to school in Anaheim you figure out how to get him there and that’s exactly what you guys did. It’s ok, it’s not cheating. 

• Thanks 1

Went to elementary school with plenty of kids that went to servite. Played at servite and are still connected with the program. The same guys that got me tickets to watch them play 3x during the Covid year, (not open to anyone except parents of players). They can admit what’s going on but big black can’t behind a screen name on the Internet. It is what it is. 

3 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

Inman came in from the IE. Fact. I know rajarshi played youth ball in Brea but was told he was living in the Ie during high school.  I don’t claim to know everything, get out of your feelings. & servite brought them in champ. The same way they shuttled kids in this past year. If a player of kalils caliber wants to go to school in Anaheim you figure out how to get him there and that’s exactly what you guys did. It’s ok, it’s not cheating. 

You're right. If a player of Kalil's caliber wants to go to school in Anaheim it gets figured out. Especially when it was already determined he would go there before he could walk because his father, you know, graduated from there 30 years ago. Only in your world are legacy students "recruited." I guess I can complain that Mater Dei "brought in" Cole Leinert...

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

Went to elementary school with plenty of kids that went to servite. Played at servite and are still connected with the program. The same guys that got me tickets to watch them play 3x during the Covid year, (not open to anyone except parents of players). They can admit what’s going on but big black can’t behind a screen name on the Internet. It is what it is. 

And you can't admit you're full of bad information.

• Haha 1

The fact is that MD, Servite, and Bosco for that matter, have done nothing illegal. All these schools play by the rules. It gets so tiring to hear folks who are in the same boat pointing fingers at another just because they can't compete on an even playing field. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

The fact is that MD, Servite, and Bosco for that matter, have done nothing illegal. All these schools play by the rules. It gets so tiring to hear folks in California who are in the same boat pointing fingers at another just because they can't compete on an even playing field. 

Fixed.

Continue.

6 hours ago, GoBigBlack said:

If you can’t beat ‘em, just go ahead and throw any semblance of morality and integrity you have out the window, break the rules and recruit an all-star team, and then claim how great you are because of what you “built.” 

Huh?  Outside of a couple year speed bump, we've had no trouble beating the Fry Babies and we got back in the win column before the OIAG team streak began.  It's YOU who can't beat US and are coming over in droves, for some reason.  Reading is fundamental.

12 hours ago, Slotback Right said:

Full disclosure...I don't have a source that would satisfy you. My information is second-hand information from someone who also didn't disclose who told this to him.

That doesn't prove it's true, and doesn't prove it's false. But it is a possibility, which could explain what's been going on repeatedly at Mater Dei.

Slot Back Right this is you when you post about MD

40 minutes ago, MD87 said:

Huh?  Outside of a couple year speed bump, we've had no trouble beating the Fry Babies and we got back in the win column before the OIAG team streak began.  It's YOU who can't beat US and are coming over in droves, for some reason.  Reading is fundamental.

Yeah, so is critical thinking. That wasn’t the point, and what you’re suggesting is ridiculous.

On 6/1/2022 at 7:08 PM, GoBigBlack said:

Yeah, so is critical thinking. That wasn’t the point, and what you’re suggesting is ridiculous.

So you dim bulbs at the Anaheim school really think that MD started casting a wider net because of the aberrations (look it up) that the 2009-2011 games were?! LMAO!  Those who are not in denial all know that it was Jason who precipitated that, not you!  We didn't need superstars to resume dispensing L's to you in 2012 with a whopping two ranked players in the classes of '13 and '14.  Hell, you had 5 ranked players in the '14 game to our three and we still won.  We did need a change in philosophy to play with Jason and we're his Daddy now, but please, you had nothing to do with it.

11 hours ago, MD87 said:

So you dim bulbs at the Anaheim school really think that MD started casting a wider net because of the aberrations (look it up) that the 2009-2011 games were?! LMAO!  Those who are not in denial all know that it was Jason who precipitated that, not you!  We didn't need superstars to resume dispensing L's to you in 2012 with a whopping two ranked players in the classes of '13 and '14.  Hell, you had 5 ranked players in the '14 game to our three and we still won.  We did need a change in philosophy to play with Jason and we're his Daddy now, but please, you had nothing to do with it.

You injured our star QB in the first quarter, that's why you won in 2014. Even so, you had to come from behind (with the help of a questionable, generous 4th down spot) to eke out a 3 point win.

6 hours ago, Slotback Right said:

You injured our star QB in the first quarter, that's why you won in 2014. Even so, you had to come from behind (with the help of a questionable, generous 4th down spot) to eke out a 3 point win.

He was hurt playing a full contact sport. Mater Dei didn’t do anything malicious to hurt him. You say we got a questionable call on 4th down, the refs gave you a free touchdown this year when the ball was clearly caught out of bounds. Let’s call it even 😉

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2022 at 12:04 AM, Slotback Right said:

The new administrators have a great deal of work to do to reform Mater Dei’s image.

Black is the new red at Mater Dei.

The recent installment of Servite’s Joel Hartmann as Mater Dei’s executive director of athletics a couple of months after former Servite principal Michael Brennan was named president at Mater Dei makes it look like Servite people are being hired to clean up Mater Dei’s mess.

This is a delicious development for Servite people but nauseating for Mater Dei people who don’t like seeing men in black, Servite’s prominent color scheme, wearing Mater Dei red these days.

Hartmann worked at Servite for 32 years, including the past 18 years as associate athletic director. Brennan was Servite’s principal from 2006 through the 2020-21 school year.

...Changes are coming.

The 2022 season is likely to be Bruce Rollinson’s final season as Mater Dei’s football coach. His departure will have the “on his own terms” look that he deserves but would not get if he left before summer camp begins.

Some will say he should have been ousted last fall when the hazing allegation arose and was followed by more unsavory reports. High school coaches say “if that happened at my school, I’d have been fired in 60 seconds.”

... The past several years have seen high achievement but low behavior. Nobody seemed willing to horse-collar a kid and say “we don’t do that here, and you’re not playing” often enough to make a difference.

...Brennan and Hartmann, with the support of the Diocese of Orange that placed them at Mater Dei, will correct that and more. Essential to that effort will be the coach who replaces Rollinson.

...Lenny Vandermade is a Mater Dei guy.

Vandermade, an assistant coach at USC, was an All-Orange County lineman at Mater Dei in 1997 and ’98. He was Santa Margarita offensive coordinator and offensive line coach in 2016 and ‘17.

And Vandermade will be interested in becoming Rollinson’s successor.

“Absolutely,” said Vandermade, 41.  “That’s home for me. I love the place and I love the community.”

...The men in black were hired to restore balance to the Mater Dei sports galaxy. Vandermade would add just the right amount of scarlet to the palette.

https://www.ocregister.com/2022/05/26/fryer-men-in-black-will-bring-big-necessary-changes-to-mater-dei-athletics/

the 2022 being Rollo's last season as the HC? i doubt that, i can see him remaining the HC until he no longer physically can, i see him being like the late Joe Paterno at Penn State.