What's going to happen to DLS?

Elliot Hulsez

51 minutes ago, Rippers said:

They'll be what they have been since about 2010 or so.

They've been two very different teams in that time. In 2010 they had one of their best teams and won a national championship. They won it again in 2015... came really close in 2013. Since 2015 they've consistently performed at a lower level.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, GoBigBlack said:

They've been two very different teams in that time. In 2010 they had one of their best teams and won a national championship. They won it again in 2015... came really close in 2013. Since 2015 they've consistently performed at a lower level.

2010 natty is very very debatable.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

Possibly? I’ve thought the same thing. But is that a truth or a one year abbreviation? Nothing real clearly indicative either way. 

Exactly right. I just don’t see any scenario where De La Salle loses its hold on dominance to anyone else from Northern California. I think this year would’ve been a wake up call if anything. They lost a couple games to teams they shouldn’t have lost to. It happens. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cossacks said:

Possibly? I’ve thought the same thing. But is that a truth or a one year abbreviation? Nothing real clearly indicative either way. 

They’ll be favorites but the mystique is gone. Teams believe they can win now. Fortunately we get to find out early in the season with DLS, Folsom and Serra all playing each other. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, GoBigBlack said:

I agree, and almost all are. But that was a Lad-coached team and they were probably the most talented since the streak. They were far from undeserving, in my opinion.

No they weren't. The 2015 and 2016 teams were more talented. They just faced better teams then the 2010 team

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Extremely Humble said:

Last season showed this is no longer a given. 

Last season was a carryover from the craziness of the pandemic . Team and coaches lost their way in all facets as to the way they prepared . With that said , they should never have lost that game to SF Mountain view nor to Folsom . Folsom game was the spartans were way over confident and playing in the loser's bracket state playoffs . The incentive was just not there for them , thus they weren't prepared in the least . For Folsom it was there biggest game ever probably . Game had two different incentives for both teams  

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Extremely Humble said:

They’ll be favorites but the mystique is gone. Teams believe they can win now. Fortunately we get to find out early in the season with DLS, Folsom and Serra all playing each other. 

I do agree a bit. But remember how much rhetoric we heard in 87’ when MV beat them then St Francis in 89’ (ok Marquee Lockett individually beat them 😂) and again 91’ when PItt beat them. And it was doom and gloom for their program.

But again that was Lad’s program. Different meteoric nowadays for sure. The Almbaugh regime to me is still up in the air and am curious which way they respond.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, steeler01 said:

No they weren't. The 2015 and 2016 teams were more talented. They just faced better teams then the 2010 team

I didn’t see a ton of them those years, but I’ve send a ton of them over the last 25 years. I think you’re forgetting just how stacked that 2010 team was. 

There were four future NFL players on the roster. And Austin Hooper, multi time pro bowler, was a sophomore. He didn’t see the field. The defense was incredible. On the line were a future Boise St starter, a guy with offers from Notre Dame and Oregon, and a future NFL player/multiple time CFL all star. At linebacker were a future Cal starter, future USC starter, and future Boise St starter and NFL player. At DB were future multi year starters at Army and Duquesne, and two others who played at Florida A&M and Arizona. 

The offense was led by only their second QB to make it to the NFL. He threw for 2k yards, unheard of at DLS, and his targets were a starter at UNLV and a 1k yd receiver at Cornell. In true DLS fashion, five defenders went both ways, so they had three future pros starting on offense. The backs had offers from North Dakota and Wazzu. 

They had lots of great teams, but this one was solid across the board, played exceptionally well together, and had loads of future success. You could argue others were better, but that was the best by far from 2003 to 2012, imo. 

• Like 1

Seems like DLS will always be a powerhouse for the most part. They don't seem to be willing to enter the talent arms race that seems to be the new norm for the top 10 to 20 schools these days. 

Anywhere in the top 100 isn't anything to sneeze at. I figure they'll be a staple in the top 100 for the forseeable future. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

Last season was a carryover from the craziness of the pandemic . Team and coaches lost their way in all facets as to the way they prepared . With that said , they should never have lost that game to SF Mountain view nor to Folsom . Folsom game was the spartans were way over confident and playing in the loser's bracket state playoffs . The incentive was just not there for them , thus they weren't prepared in the least . For Folsom it was there biggest game ever probably . Game had two different incentives for both teams  

Couldn't agree more. Also, Terry Eidson leaving made a noticable difference in how the DLS Defense and Special teams were playing. They were unrecongizble to the tradtional Spartan teams

• Like 2

16 hours ago, GoBigBlack said:

I probably know more about DLS history that you do and my statement will most likely end up correct.  They are DLS so they should be what they have been since about 2010, which since you apparently want to take my comment literally season by season, means they have the potential to be either completely dominant or they'll just be very good.   Since you mentioned the only 2 times over the course of 12 years that they were dominant in to attempt to say I am wrong, I'd say my projection is most likely not going to be that far off.