Changing of guard in Florida?

Elliot Hulsez

24 minutes ago, Elliot Hulsez said:

I use to follow HS football and wanted to get back into it. I remember when Plant, Manatee, Lakeland, STA, Armwood were the most dominatnt teams in FLorida. STA seems to have remained consistent but the others have not...wtf happened?

The last 5-7 years the same

STA & IMG 

wiener shipped to Toledo 

1 hour ago, Elliot Hulsez said:

I use to follow HS football and wanted to get back into it. I remember when Plant, Manatee, Lakeland, STA, Armwood were the most dominatnt teams in FLorida. STA seems to have remained consistent but the others have not...wtf happened?

the trend towards building super teams favors those in large urban areas. But Lakeland hasn't exactly gone anywhere. The plague hurt them, but that's over now. Armwood is in the outskirts of Tampa, so Plant and Jesuit would have the advantage. They're still good, though. Plant has been hurt by the open enrollment policy, which they can't take advantage of due to being at capacity. Manatee has been hurt by the loss of Kinnan, and the emergence of IMG and Venice as recruiting powers in the area. But, Dade and Broward dominate at the moment.

14 hours ago, badrouter said:

the trend towards building super teams favors those in large urban areas. But Lakeland hasn't exactly gone anywhere. The plague hurt them, but that's over now. Armwood is in the outskirts of Tampa, so Plant and Jesuit would have the advantage. They're still good, though. Plant has been hurt by the open enrollment policy, which they can't take advantage of due to being at capacity. Manatee has been hurt by the loss of Kinnan, and the emergence of IMG and Venice as recruiting powers in the area. But, Dade and Broward dominate at the moment.

Why did Kinnan get chased out of Manatee? From what I recall he was beloved by the community and stayed there for long time

1 hour ago, Elliot Hulsez said:

Why did Kinnan get chased out of Manatee? From what I recall he was beloved by the community and stayed there for long time

Baseball related when he was also AD. 

https://thebradentontimes.com/kinnan-suffers-more-setbacks-in-lawsuit-against-school-district-p21711-158.htm

Manatee and baseball reminded me to check on Cord Sandberg (former Manatee QB and baseball player).  He is no longer at Auburn and played last season at EKU (QB and WR).  

He graduated Manatee HS in 2013… currently a redshirt soph.  :) 

https://ekusports.com/sports/football/roster/cord-sandberg/8597

16 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

https://thebradentontimes.com/kinnan-suffers-more-setbacks-in-lawsuit-against-school-district-p21711-158.htm

Manatee and baseball reminded me to check on Cord Sandberg (former Manatee QB and baseball player).  He is no longer at Auburn and played last season at EKU (QB and WR).  

Gotta love those minor league baseball prospects that take advantage of college football eligibility after a few seasons...

He's not the 1st. (Josh Booty for example).

• Like 1

On 6/5/2022 at 10:12 AM, golfaddict1 said:

Even if Kinnan stayed at Manatee. The opening of IMG right in Bradenton would have hurt them nonetheless.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/6/2022 at 1:33 PM, Elliot Hulsez said:

Even if Kinnan stayed at Manatee. The opening of IMG right in Bradenton would have hurt them nonetheless.

I forgot the name, but a DL trf to IMG right after Kinnan left the football program.   That set the tone right away.

Venice is now the dominant public school in that area as I’m sure you know. 

55 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

I forgot the name, but a DL trf to IMG right after Kinnan left the football program.   That set the tone right away.

Venice is now the dominant public school in that area as I’m sure you know. 

Why don't more Florida teams step up to play Cali teams? The Florida teams have seen a lot of success in their history of showdowns with Cali teams. From a Cali dude

@badrouter  c’mon man… Castle (wonder if Lying zone knows that chess maneuver) needs to up the ante on the sos in 22.  Would be sweet to see them play some OOS marquee names like in the past before he retires.  

Also caught a mention about Bowman in the transfer portal.  Where do you think he ends up?  Edit:   He’s UCF bound.  Just saw a mention on Twitter.  GL to him.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

@badrouter  c’mon man… Castle (wonder if Lying zone knows that chess maneuver) needs to up the ante on the sos in 22.  Would be sweet to see them play some OOS marquee names like in the past before he retires.  

Also caught a mention about Bowman in the transfer portal.  Where do you think he ends up?  Edit:   He’s UCF bound.  Just saw a mention on Twitter.  GL to him.  

I really hope they get one more really big name on the schedule. Either through switching a game already scheduled, or through some sort of bowl game after the playoffs. This team is considerably more loaded than any they've had. My hunch is they've tried to get games against teams within not more than 2-3 hour drive away. So, with that in mind, Armwood, Osceola and CAI aren't a bad three to have on there. But, they're all underwhelming compared to what the team should be able to handle.

I'm not sure exactly what Bowman's isssue(s) has been. Once upon a time, you'd call him a bust. But, with such crazy transferring these days, it's totally possible he eventually puts it all together and has a great career. Have to lean towards bust at this point, though.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, badrouter said:

I really hope they get one more really big name on the schedule. Either through switching a game already scheduled, or through some sort of bowl game after the playoffs. This team is considerably more loaded than any they've had. My hunch is they've tried to get games against teams within not more than 2-3 hour drive away. So, with that in mind, Armwood, Osceola and CAI aren't a bad three to have on there. But, they're all underwhelming compared to what the team should be able to handle.

I'm not sure exactly what Bowman's isssue(s) has been. Once upon a time, you'd call him a bust. But, with such crazy transferring these days, it's totally possible he eventually puts it all together and has a great career. Have to lean towards bust at this point, though.

Beyond my wtf comments during the STA game 😂… I haven’t seen Bowman since.  He had breakaway speed for sure.  Beyond that, I dunno.  Maybe @steeler01knows more insight in following CFB?  

I have no idea if STA has an opening left, but if HC Harriott and Castle want to IM me, if funds are an issue I’ll help as much as I can to see that happen for Lakeland to travel for free.

I wanted to do a bowling outing to fund a Dade squad.  I reached out to Tim Harris months back, Ice’s son to help for BTW. Tim seemed excited and felt his Dad would call me.  Ice didn’t unfortunately.  I wanted to meet Ice and get a feel for the program and write up their season.  @HawgGoneIt I mentioned it to.  

• Like 2

On 6/26/2022 at 12:23 PM, golfaddict1 said:

$ and logistics I assume. 

AHP plays Los Alamitos this coming season.   

The Travel is Definitely an issue…. The only Cali vs FL games I remember were all ESPN games….

DLS vs Lakeland, DLS vs STA (Twice) SJB vs STA and There was a game with LBP vs Miami Northwestern but I don’t think that was on ESPN….

I am pretty sure the Los Al vs AHP game almost fell apart until ESPN stepped in and paid for Los Al’s Travel…. 

High Schools just don’t have the revenues needed to play cross country games….

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Beyond my wtf comments during the STA game 😂… I haven’t seen Bowman since.  He had breakaway speed for sure.  Beyond that, I dunno.  Maybe @steeler01knows more insight in following CFB?  

I have no idea if STA has an opening left, but if HC Harriott and Castle want to IM me, if funds are an issue I’ll help as much as I can to see that happen for Lakeland to travel for free.

I wanted to do a bowling outing to fund a Dade squad.  I reached out to Tim Harris months back, Ice’s son to help for BTW. Tim seemed excited and felt his Dad would call me.  Ice didn’t unfortunately.  I wanted to meet Ice and get a feel for the program and write up their season.  @HawgGoneIt I mentioned it to.  

I think you just have to keep plugging away at stuff like that. Sometimes these guys have people trying to set them up to play a Bishop Sycamore so I can understand why they would be a little stand offish. 

On 6/27/2022 at 3:31 PM, badrouter said:

Why doesn't Castle play more OOS games like they did before?

20 hours ago, Elliot Hulsez said:

Why doesn't Castle play more OOS games like they did before?

I don't have any one answer. They played OOS three times, traveled long distances for all three, and won all three. I do think that much of the motivation for playing these OOS games comes from younger coaches looking to get famous and hop to bigger jobs. Castle isn't that guy now. So then you have to consider all that goes into those games: 1) long, difficult travel which is hard on all; 2) OOS games  (for schools not near a state border, anyway) are expensive endeavors. So much so that local school boards, including Polk county, where Lakeland is, have put very strict restrictions on travel. So, it's not clear what the Polk county school board would/wouldn't permit anyway; 3) if there isn't a return game, you end up with a scheduling problem the following year, given the practice of scheduling two years at a time. 

Private schools have to recruit/market their program to attract students to stay in business. They have that added incentive to play big games that may get on TV. Lakeland has no such need. They just have the need to be fiscally responsible, and be able to continue investing in the program and the facilities. So, I assume they schedule with that top of mind. That means games against teams not more than 2-3 hours driving distance, many of whom have good fan support (helps at the gate). Though I do think some more innovative, 21st century planning would reveal some missed revenue streams with the current approach.

• Thanks 1