Coaches (HS or College) that overachieve with the talent they have

This is sort of a moot point but I also strongly nominate Mater Dei. Mater Dei gets hate but they're nothing like IMG.

Their defense had a corner who was a 5'9 3 star kid. Their main DT had zero stars and offers. They also had some freshman playing I believe and their defense last season was lights out

• Thanks 1

That's very hard there aren't many on any level. Those are the only types of coaches that get my respect. 

For college I would say urban meyer for how well hey did it ohio state. He is a pos human but great college coach. Ryan day is in that boat with the lack of talent total team compared to the likes of uga and bama. Assistant coaches don't get enough credit at the college level.

1 hour ago, Elliot Hulsez said:

Bob Ladouceur of De La Salle

Matt Logan of Corona Centennial.

Gary Joseph of Katy

Gary Joseph does not belong on this list. He is no doubt a great coach but had plenty to work with and refuses to play OOS games.

which is supported by some TX posters since they do not need to play OOS games

So your thread is misleading 

• Thumbs Down 1

3 minutes ago, hardhit1 said:

Gary Joseph does not belong on this list. He is no doubt a great coach but had plenty to work with and refuses to play OOS games.

Ok Wilkinson 

I never get a thumbs down so interested to learn where I was off.

I don’t hide , clear the air. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, hardhit1 said:

How so?

He has never had a roster like North Shore or Duncanville. Not even close and Katy still holds the record for state championships at the 6A level, and still remains one of the most respected & feared programs in the state.

2 minutes ago, SeaShells21 said:

How so?

He has never had a roster like North Shore or Duncanville. Not even close and Katy still holds the record for state championships at the 6A level, and still remains one of the most respected & feared programs in the state.

The thread was most with little 

this is a National HS thread

I already said he was a great coach

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hardhit1 said:

The thread was most with little 

this is a National HS thread

I already said he was a great coach

From what I have seen, hardly any of their players play past college and they don’t win with their talent. They win by being the more disciplined team and executing a nearly perfect game.

They’re just like De La Salle.

11 minutes ago, SeaShells21 said:

How so?

Huh. His last two state title teams - 2015 (c/o 2016) had 7 kids sign division 1 scholarships, & the 2020 state championship team had 11 kids sign division 1 scholarships. Those are seniors only. His championship teams are loaded.

All of this info is available on 24/7. He’s not winning state championships with bums. 11 D1 seniors led his last title team. That’s half the starters being division 1 seniors. I think you and I could have some success with that much talent Lol

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SeaShells21 said:

From what I have seen, hardly any of their players play past college and they don’t win with their talent. They win by being the more disciplined team and executing a nearly perfect game.

They’re just like De La Salle.

No they are not and never will be

Great coach and some great teams 

good night 😀

• Haha 1

Just now, HurricaneNick said:

Huh. His last two state title teams - 2015 (c/o 2016) had 7 kids sign division 1 scholarships, & the 2020 state championship team had 11 kids sign division 1 scholarships. Those are seniors only. His championship teams are loaded.

All of this info is available on 24/7. He’s not winning state championships with bums. 11 D1 seniors led his last title team. That’s half the starters being division 1 seniors. I think you and I could have some success with that much talent Lol

Really? Okay then. 

Maybe they are more talented than I think. There is never really any chatter around them. Everyone seems to only ever talk about North Shore.

Which I guess makes sense because someone else is finally running Houston instead of just Katy.

Sorry @hardhit1 

10 minutes ago, SeaShells21 said:

Really? Okay then. 

Maybe they are more talented than I think. There is never really any chatter around them. Everyone seems to only ever talk about North Shore.

Which I guess makes sense because someone else is finally running Houston instead of just Katy.

Sorry @hardhit1 

Could be the system and the expectation for them to perform at a high level. 
(2020 state champs class of 2021) Florida state, Texas A&M, USC, Baylor, Arizona, Rice, Army (x3), Arkansas state, Sam Houston, & 3 other kids with offers that did not sign (for whatever reason). So I guess 14 seniors with offers. I’d assume he probably had close to 30 kids on the team that would end up playing D1 ball including all classes. No coach is winning a state title without talent. Especially in Texas, California, Florida, Ohio, etc. Joseph is still a great coach. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

Could be the system and the expectation for them to perform at a high level. 
(2020 class) Florida state, Texas A&M, USC, Baylor, Arizona, Rice, Army (x3), Arkansas state, Sam Houston, & 3 other kids with offers that did not sign (for whatever reason). So I guess 14 seniors with offers. I’d assume he probably had close to 30 kids on the team that would end up playing D1 ball including all classes. No coach is winning a state title without talent. Especially in Texas, California, Florida, Ohio, etc. Joseph is still a great coach. 

Touché 🏳

1 hour ago, 954gator said:

Who was the coach at Chandler?   The beating they gave MNW a few years back was impressive.   That's one of those overachieving schools IMO.  

Open enrollment school of 3500 kids and almost always has the most talented team on the field in the games they play. I’d actually say Chandler would be kind of opposite of the overachieving? They do what they should do IMO.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MD87 said:

AZ football fans, what say you?

If we're talking about guys who have done a lot with less D1 talent than Taylor fits the bill. Of course I think that's a short-sighted view of talent in the high school game, as if you have 20 D1 guys paired with a rec league QB that's going to be exploited by better teams. While Centennial has rarely been an express lane to the D1 ranks they have typically had exceptional depth (especially for a public school) and I think it's fair to say that Taylor more often than not gets every drop of talent out of every guy on the roster.

What will be interesting is to see how they recover after a rough 2021 campaign, especially with talent on the westside of Phoenix being more widely distributed than has been the case.

• Like 2