4. Aurora Waubonsie Valley

5. Chicago Marist

6. Park Ridge Maine South

7. Elmhurst IC Catholic Prep

8. Carol Stream Glenbard North

9. Springfield Sacred Heart-Griffitn

10. Palatine

What changes would you recommend?

Moving Prairie Ridge down a few notches and moving Marist, Maine South, and Glenbard North up. Also, move Naperville Central into the top 10. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, whiteshoes said:

Bones, help me out here.  I currently have Illinos at:

1. Wilmette Loyola Academy

2. Crystal Lake Prairie Ridge

3. LaGrange Lyons

4. Aurora Waubonsie Valley

5. Chicago Marist

6. Park Ridge Maine South

7. Elmhurst IC Catholic Prep

8. Carol Stream Glenbard North

9. Springfield Sacred Heart-Griffitn

10. Palatine

What changes would you recommend?

I think this year has as many question marks as any year in recent history. But. Lyons looks mighty high up there as does Waubonsie. Also, I cant find it within myself to rank a 3A school that hasnt beaten another highly ranked team (Immaculate Conception will not have the opportunity, but Phillips will).

But I have hesitated to put a ranking together because I have no clue right now.

1 hour ago, Cossacks said:

What has happened to Joilet Catholic the past couple of years? Seems to have fallen off.

Last season? Combination of injuries and conference foes getting better. Recent playoff losses we're due to not being able to beat Montini.

Some JCA fans argue they're not getting the talent they once did, which is possible. The two public schools in Joliet used to be a combined program, that was awful (couldn't tell you when was the last time they won a game). They split in 2010 into Joliet West and Joliet Central. Joliet West was better, but still bad at first and Central was likely worse without the West kids. West has been somewhat competitive since then and has made the playoffs 2x while Central won two games last season breaking a 60+ game losing streak. So the programs are becoming more attractive. Furthermore Joliet is a blue collar town, not a lot of disposable income and tuition is going up.

7 hours ago, Bones said:

I think this year has as many question marks as any year in recent history. But. Lyons looks mighty high up there as does Waubonsie. Also, I cant find it within myself to rank a 3A school that hasnt beaten another highly ranked team (Immaculate Conception will not have the opportunity, but Phillips will).

But I have hesitated to put a ranking together because I have no clue right now.

Best part of following IL hs football... just never know. It also seems like the area has been fertile pickings for IMG.

• Like 1

Yeah IMG has got 5 that I know of... I think. Florida winter vs Chicago winter? No contest. Don't even get me started on the beaches. 

I want to post the week 1 games of interest, but I am trying to wait on the Sun-Times and Tribune rankings to give the games some context.

#3 in Chicagoland according to the Sun Times is Loyola

http://www.suntimeshighschoolsports.com/2017/08/18/2017-football-preview-no-3-loyola/

“If we started the season tomorrow we’d be horrific because of the injuries,” Holecek said. “Seven starters are out including our top three offensive guys. Injuries suck. It’s so frustrating this year.”

Starting quarterback Quinn Boyle will likely miss the first few weeks of the season. Senior Andrew Forsyth, who played a bit in the quarterfinals last year, is one of three contenders to fill in for Boyle.

I know they better not be out here making excuses already.

Week 1 games of interest:

Naperville Central @ Glenbard North - Both are expected to be good and this one figures to be a key game in determining the conference championship. Naperville C has St. Eds (OH) in week 6 while GBN has McCracken Cty out of Paducah, KY in week 4.

Cary Grove @ Prairie Ridge - looks like the defending 6A champs, PR, may be the #1 ranked team in the state and C-G is one of the best programs on their reg season schedule. I don't know how I feel about that, but it is what it is.

Michigan City (IN) vs Homewood-Flossmoor - I look for H-F to handle it's foe from next door even though Mich City will already have a W under their belts

Oak Park @ Simeon - though neither is highly ranked in state (Simeon is ranked) this is the type of games you guys would like; two spread teams with athletes at the skills all over the field. If I find a lank to this one I'll post it.

Lake Central (IN) @ Lincoln Way Central - not big on LWC, but I figure them to vanquish their foe from Indiana

Hinsdale Central @ St. X (OH) - HC hasnt been getting any hype at all this offseason/preseason. I expect the game to be competitive at least for some time before X pulls away

Loyola @ Phillips - the most consistently good program in the state now against the largest collection of talent at a Chicago public school. Both figure to be in the conversation for a state championship, Loyola in 8a and Phillips in 3a (some are not happy about Phillips being in 3a)

Maine South @ Glenbard West - defending 8A champ against the 2015 7A champs; two of the top programs in the state historically.

Providence @ East St. Louis - defending 7A champs squaring off against traditional power and 2014 7A champ. East Side has Evangel (LA) in week 2, while Providence faces Vianney (MO) in week 2.

• Like 2

Hinsdale Central preview

http://football.dailyherald.com/sports/20170818/scouting-the-hinsdale-central-red-devils

The offensive line returns only Roy Fuller, and the quarterback situation still is being settled between Connor Bauer and Matt Rush. It'll take time for the offense to click like it did during last season's West Suburban Conference Silver Division title run.

"We're hoping for one of those quarterbacks to emerge and take the starting spot," Hartman said. "If we're able to run the ball it'll help take pressure off them, but they both have a feel for what we're trying to do."

Linebackers Nik Andrejevic and Aidan Cruickshank combined for 70 tackles, and Nick Biancalana and Max Kuropas return to the secondary. The entire defensive line graduated, leaving the Red Devils thin on experience on both lines.

One thing they're not thin on, though, is experience at winning. As the Red Devils showed in Hartman's first three years, they find a way.

On 8/19/2017 at 6:59 PM, ECHS05 said:

Glenbard North is my #3 in IL... Im really high on them.

1. Loyola Academy

2. East St. Louis

3. Glenbard North

3. Prairie Ridge

5. Maine South

6. Lyons

7. Marist

8. Naperville Central

A bungle-loo after that.

Seems as legit as any and the 2 that are being released as of today.

Chicago Tribune top 5

1. Glenbard West

2. Maine South

3. Waubonsie Valley

4. Lincoln-Way East

5. Prairie Ridge

Chicago Sun Times top 5

1. Prairie Ridge

2. Maine South

3. Loyola

4. Waubonsie Valley

5. Lyons Township

Comcast Sports Net Chicago top 5

1. Prairie Ridge

2. Maine South

3. Loyola

4. Glenbard West

5. Lincoln-Way East

St. Louis Today StL Metro Area top 5

1. Christian Brothers College HS (MO)

2. East St. Louis (IL)

3. Kirkwood (MO)

4. Edwardsville (IL)

5. Eureka (MO)

On 8/19/2017 at 11:41 AM, Bones said:

Week 1 games of interest:

Naperville Central @ Glenbard North - Both are expected to be good and this one figures to be a key game in determining the conference championship. Naperville C has St. Eds (OH) in week 6 while GBN has McCracken Cty out of Paducah, KY in week 4.

Cary Grove @ Prairie Ridge - looks like the defending 6A champs, PR, may be the #1 ranked team in the state and C-G is one of the best programs on their reg season schedule. I don't know how I feel about that, but it is what it is.

Michigan City (IN) vs Homewood-Flossmoor - I look for H-F to handle it's foe from next door even though Mich City will already have a W under their belts

Oak Park @ Simeon - though neither is highly ranked in state (Simeon is ranked) this is the type of games you guys would like; two spread teams with athletes at the skills all over the field. If I find a lank to this one I'll post it.

Lake Central (IN) @ Lincoln Way Central - not big on LWC, but I figure them to vanquish their foe from Indiana

Hinsdale Central @ St. X (OH) - HC hasnt been getting any hype at all this offseason/preseason. I expect the game to be competitive at least for some time before X pulls away

Loyola @ Phillips - the most consistently good program in the state now against the largest collection of talent at a Chicago public school. Both figure to be in the conversation for a state championship, Loyola in 8a and Phillips in 3a (some are not happy about Phillips being in 3a)

Maine South @ Glenbard West - defending 8A champ against the 2015 7A champs; two of the top programs in the state historically.

Providence @ East St. Louis - defending 7A champs squaring off against traditional power and 2014 7A champ. East Side has Evangel (LA) in week 2, while Providence faces Vianney (MO) in week 2.

Naperville Central @ Glenbard North - Naperville Central dominates winning 37-7

Cary Grove @ Prairie Ridge - Prairie Ridge with the come-from-behind win 7-6. I doubt this is the #1 team.

Michigan City (IN) vs Homewood-Flossmoor - H-F demolishes MC 63-21

Oak Park @ Simeon - Oak Park was down big, but eeks out the win late 29-28

Lake Central (IN) @ Lincoln Way Central - LWC impresses with the 41-0 drubbing

Brother Rice Marist - Marist wins this rivalry game 23-14. I may have mentally underrated both of these teams. Should have been in my post originally. @whiteshoes I am still watching this game on DVR, but Marist looks good so far. Gonna be hard to do anything with the two B1G 10 DL in the middle.

Waubonsie Valley vs Lake Park - Lake Park and their 16 returning starters pull off the 36-34 upset. I also was not buying the WV hype.

3 hours ago, MA Fan said:

Maine South 62 Glenbard West 34

it could have been worse, MS chilled out which they usually dont. I thought they were going for 70.

Maine South Glenbard West - Hawks put a tremendous beating on GBW, but I think it was more an indictment on GBW this year.

Hinsdale Central @ St. X (OH) - Red Devils score 1st, then get steam rolled 43-14 as the Bombers use all sorts of cheatcodes

Naperville North Edwardsville - Edwardsville builds a 42-0 lead... then falls 53-49. Don't even ask me how.

Providence East St. Louis - Celtics had an opportunity with a late possession to possibly claim the upset before falling 40-28 to East Side.

Loyola @ Phillips - Missing 7-9 starters Loyola loses on a 4th and goal inside 5 with no time left on the clock 20-14.

Chicago Tribune top 5

1. Maine South (1-0)

2. Lincoln-Way East (1-0)

3. Prairie Ridge (1-0)

4. Naperville Central (1-0)

5. Phillips (1-0)

Chicago Sun-Times top 5

1. Maine South (1-0)

2. Prairie Ridge (1-0)

3. Lincoln-Way East (1-0)

4. Phillips (1-0)

5. Loyola (0-1)

Comcast Sport Net top 5

1. Maine South (1-0)

2. Prairie Ridge (1-0)

3. Lincoln-Way East (1-0)

4. Marist (1-0)

5. Lake Zurich (1-0)

STLToday St. Louis Metro top 5

1. East St. Louis (IL) (1-0)

2. Kirkwood (MO) (2-0)

3. Christian Bros (MO) (1-1)

4. Eureka (MO) (2-0)

5. Vianney (MO) (2-0)

Honestly after seeing the scores and 8 teams this weekend I can't say I like any of these rankings, but can't come up with something until next week.

Week 2 Games of Interest

Lincoln-Way East @ Maine South - the rankings speak for themselves

Prairie Ridge @ Huntley - the only team other than Cary Grove (week 1) who will challenge PR on their schedule

Bishop Amat (CA) vs. Loyola @ New Trier HS - Unsure if any of the 7-9 starters who were out last week will be back for Loyola, but if they lose this missing the playoffs is a legit concern

Simeon @ Detroit Cass Tech (MI) - Simeon dropped a 1 point decision Friday night after leading at half by 2 TD's

Muskegon (MI) @ Stevenson - should be a good one

Evangel Christian (LA) @ East St. Louis - good test to see how good East Side is

Christian Brothers (MO) @ Edwardsville - how you build a 42-0 lead and lose still is beyond my comprehension, but Eddie will want to bounce back from that nightmare.

Vianney (MO) @ Providence - new St. Louis area #5 against a Chicago Catholic League Power

21 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

BA/Loyola loses its luster a bit

Its too bad that's the case... was looking forward to that one. Loyola and a lot of the IL schools for that matter, are not obsessed with the Natl. Rankings. The real focus is hitting the playoffs and getting a state title. After talking with one of guys out there, somewhat familiar with their program, it seems they will not have a lot of guys ready for Amat either, which is a shame. ( Maybe Bones can verify that or get us more information ) By mid season they should have a whole team again and will hit stride and be a load for any team to handle. On most days under normal circumstances, Phillips, which actually has a pretty good public program and imo usually worth a national look for a top 150 or 200 ranking, would not even be in the same universe a Loyola.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gospeeder said:

Its too bad that's the case... was looking forward to that one. Loyola and a lot of the IL schools for that matter, are not obsessed with the Natl. Rankings. The real focus is hitting the playoffs and getting a state title. After talking with one of guys out there, somewhat familiar with their program, it seems they will not have a lot of guys ready for Amat either, which is a shame. ( Maybe Bones can verify that or get us more information ) By mid season they should have a whole team again and will hit stride and be a load for any team to handle. On most days under normal circumstances, Phillips, which actually has a pretty good public program and imo usually worth a national look for a top 150 or 200 ranking, would not even be in the same universe a Loyola.

It was hard to tell in highlights, but in the highlights of BA, i thought they had nice size and can probably give a good game in IL