Maxpreps TOP 25

Antt

8 hours ago, FreeBird said:

Look at Grayson , on Paper they should be the best in state every year with those athletes, but having a team that good is pointless when you can’t get all the players to buy in to the same philosophy 

This is true. They pretty consistently have one of the most talented teams in the state but don't always finish first. I guess the same could be said for other teams as well. Winning a state championship in Georgia (big class) is like catching lightning in a bottle. 

Like @steeler01 pointed out, with the bug heavies being fantastic, it isn't happening. Colquitt can attest to that. 

13 hours ago, FootballGuy said:

More times than not, you're gonna see aquinas struggle vs a public school just as good as them compared to a private school. Period. 

I think you're severely overlooking the number of wins they have against public schools. All of their state championship wins were over public schools. And off the top of my head, all of their district titles were over public schools. I gather that the point you're trying to make is that there are noteworthy losses vs. publics (2-6 lifetime vs. Bill Castle at Lakeland, Centennial etc). It's a fair point. But, their record (including in very big games) against public schools is significantly tilted in favor of wins.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, steeler01 said:

Well that's cause they hardly play privates like them. 

The last 5 privates they've played

Jesuit beat STA

Cardinal Gibbons beat STA

Beat DLS

Beat St. Louis(I wouldn't put them in this category but I'll do it for the sake of this)

SJB overtime game 

DeMatha and Saint Frances victories. Took an L vs Gorman but I still feel like they let Gorman off the hook. They gave them all they could handle in that game. 

19 minutes ago, badrouter said:

I think you're severely overlooking the number of wins they have against public schools. All of their state championship wins were over public schools. And off the top of my head, all of their district titles were over public schools. I gather that the point you're trying to make is that there are noteworthy losses vs. publics (2-6 lifetime vs. Bill Castle at Lakeland, Centennial etc). It's a fair point. But, their record (including in very big games) against public schools is significantly tilted in favor of wins.

Gotcha. I think in recent years we've seen Aquinas underachieve vs schools they should beat (the publics). And it just seems like AZ teams tend to give the southern teams fits hen it comes to stopping them OUTSIDE of the Chaminade/Highland game in the geico bowl. There was a glaring difference as to why that game went how it did if you catch you my drift..lol. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, WILKINSON said:

Deplorable. Langston Hughes one place below North Shore? Might as well put Lowndes up in that list. Shoot, add Bishop Sycamore while we're at it.

Bishop Sycamore would be #1. 

They have multiple Division 1 athletes, probably more than Mater Dei, The Bosco and St Frances combined.

In fact, Bishop Sycamore is so talented, they could play Mater Dei on Thursday, then the Bosco on Saturday and probably win both games.

Most of this information is probably not verifiable but the man who contacted us about Bishop Sycamore stated they were probably legitimate.

• Haha 3

On 6/21/2022 at 1:14 PM, HurricaneNick said:

They got a stud QB transfer out of Texas. I’m seeing they only have 1 top 25 recruit in the state of Arizona for the class of 2023. Maxpreps gonna maxpreps. 

IMO that's the prize Chandler was aiming for this season (an elite, D1-bound quarterback). They've evolved from a team that would punish teams up front and push offensive tempo whether running or passing to a play-calling scheme that seems singularly focused on putting the ball in the air. Their coach has a championship ring and is now focused on building a reputation as a quarterback whisperer.

In my mind Saguaro is your preseason favorite in Arizona while Basha is most likely to be the last man standing (I say that based on my concerns of a 1300 student Saguaro playing a full 6A slate). Chandler and Hamilton are still very talented and have a shot but none of these teams will win the Open without at least 200 yards rushing per game.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

IMO that's the prize Chandler was aiming for this season (an elite, D1-bound quarterback). They've evolved from a team that would punish teams up front and push offensive tempo whether running or passing to a play-calling scheme that seems singularly focused on putting the ball in the air. Their coach has a championship ring and is now focused on building a reputation as a quarterback whisperer.

In my mind Saguaro is your preseason favorite in Arizona while Basha is most likely to be the last man standing (I say that based on my concerns of a 1300 student Saguaro playing a full 6A slate). Chandler and Hamilton are still very talented and have a shot but none of these teams will win the Open without at least 200 yards rushing per game.

Great post!

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t buy the “issue” with saguaros enrollment? 1300 kids but the football program has been rolling. They benefit from open enrollment freshman and have gotten plenty of top transfers including their stud starting QB. Heck, Ringo picked them after moving from the state of Washington. Sanders had it going and Mohns took it next level. Both impressive that after Aguano and Sanders both programs kept it going. 

On 6/23/2022 at 11:33 AM, HurricaneNick said:

Great post!

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t buy the “issue” with saguaros enrollment? 1300 kids but the football program has been rolling. They benefit from open enrollment freshman and have gotten plenty of top transfers including their stud starting QB. Heck, Ringo picked them after moving from the state of Washington. Sanders had it going and Mohns took it next level. Both impressive that after Aguano and Sanders both programs kept it going. 

IMO open enrollment doesn't do much to promote depth, especially when it's the law of the land as it is here (i.e. every metro school in Arizona has kids enrolled and competing that should be elsewhere). Obviously the big powers benefit most from open enrollment, at the same time you're not going to have a long list of kids willing to trade starting roles at lesser-yet-still quality programs like Chaparral, Horizon, etc. to spend a couple years as a support guy before getting a legit starting shot. Open enrollment is great for building a collection of top-tier talent but does not necessarily transfer to building depth in the face of injuries.

Aside from playing bigger schools Saguaro will also be playing better schools; their 2021 regular season slate had four teams who finished with losing records, while 2022 they don't see a 2021 losing team until week 9. The program certainly is rolling, I just can't see them navigating Bergen, Chandler, two other Open qualifiers, and both 6A finalists without getting banged up. If they get through all that reasonably healthy they'll be tough to pick against in the playoffs.

• Like 2

On 6/23/2022 at 12:57 PM, SeaShells21 said:

Bishop Sycamore would be #1. 

They have multiple Division 1 athletes, probably more than Mater Dei, The Bosco and St Frances combined.

In fact, Bishop Sycamore is so talented, they could play Mater Dei on Thursday, then the Bosco on Saturday and probably win both games.

Most of this information is probably not verifiable but the man who contacted us about Bishop Sycamore stated they were probably legitimate.

I think Bishop Sycamore has a high ranking on the other bat channel 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Yeah but the real story is that there are none in the top 6.  Private schools are dominating at the top end. 

50 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Yeah but the real story is that there are none in the top 6.  Private schools are dominating at the top end. 

Guessing/Assuming that the loaded rosters shine best preseason, along with the brand name/rep.  

Zack Poff definitely follows the game well. In the interview with GSB, he was rattling off stats and names like it was the NFL with limited teams to know about.  I was impressed with his homework.  Of course that doesn’t mean he’s talented at doing polls.   Just one man’s opinion.   

Regarding the 2023 senior class, 247 sports has one STA recruit rated in the top 50 in FL (he just verbaled to Penn State yesterday).  0 recruits in the composite 247 top 50.  IMG I need a calculator to do Friday math for IMG top 50 FL recruits.  

• Like 2

Interested to see what Desoto does this year. They should have quite a QB/WR combo on offense.

Their OOS games will be more interesting than Allen's, I'm sure of that.

Kinda wish Westlake or NS would step up a little. Always DFW out here trying to represent.

16 minutes ago, Champa said:

Interested to see what Desoto does this year. They should have quite a QB/WR combo on offense.

Their OOS games will be more interesting than Allen's, I'm sure of that.

Kinda wish Westlake or NS would step up a little. Always DFW out here trying to represent.

WL and NS are focused on winning titles and not parading around with OOS scheduling.  DV has had an open date the last few years because of OOS scheduling issues.  

On 6/22/2022 at 9:24 PM, steeler01 said:

Well that's cause they hardly play privates like them. 

The last 5 privates they've played

Jesuit beat STA

Cardinal Gibbons beat STA

Beat DLS

Beat St. Louis(I wouldn't put them in this category but I'll do it for the sake of this)

SJB overtime game 

Well they beat Gibbons, AHP, and gave St. Frances their only Loss last year.    A SFA team that beat IMG btw.  

52 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

I would say you have the same opportunity whether you're a top public or top private to beat them. 

100% agree. The worst is for for either to schedule and play a game, lose and whine about the unfair advantages the other has. Terrible look.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

100% agree. The worst is for for either to schedule and play a game, lose and whine about the unfair advantages the other has. Terrible look.

True this. If you don't like the way the other operates, don't support what they're doing by giving them a game to begin with. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, steeler01 said:

I would say you have the same opportunity whether you're a top public or top private to beat them. 

No problem with that.   

Just saying the last 5 "power privates" STA has played...

W AHP 33-23   11/6/20

W St. Frances  38-23   8/28/21

L  @Jesuit  21-24   9/3/21

W @AHP   24-16   9/10/21

W  @Gibbons  39-14   10/16/21