USC and UCLA to Join B1G in 2024?

concha

Holy shit.

What's next?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/usc-ucla-looking-to-leave-pac-12-for-big-ten-in-2024-though-deal-not-yet-finalized/

USC, UCLA looking to leave Pac-12 for Big Ten in 2024, though deal not yet finalized

A second round of power conference realignment in as many years may be about to begin

Barrett Sallee

21 mins ago1 min read

ucla-usc-line-2015.jpg

USATSI

Pac-12 powerhouses USC and UCLA are involved in discussions to leave the conference for the Big Ten as early as the 2024 athletic season, sources tell CBS Sports' Matt Norlander. Though the move is not yet final and still in the discussion stages, it appears as if the Big Ten is aiming to make a significant acquisition that will change the college sports landscape.

"Everything is on the table," a Pac-12 source tells Norlander.

The transition of USC and UCLA to the Big Ten would be similar to the one that rocked college sports last summer when Texas and Oklahoma opted to leave the Big 12 for the SEC, a move set to transpire ahead of the 2025 season.

That kicked off a realignment bonanza in which the Big 12, American and other conferences saw teams move in and out of their membership. A similar situation will likely occur here if USC and UCLA formalize and announce their intentions to depart the Pac-12.

In acquiring the Trojans and Bruins, the Big Ten would transform from largely a midwest conference to one that extends to the West Coast. It would be a significant shift in the college sports landscape at the Power Five level, which has largely been localized with teams mostly belonging to conferences in their geographic area.

USC and UCLA would bring the Big Ten to a total of 16 teams, the same as the SEC once Texas and Oklahoma enter their fold. It would be a significant coup for fourth-year Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren, the first Power Five boss to cancel the 2020 season amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

The San Jose Mercury-News' Jon Wilner first reported that USC and UCLA were planning to leave the Pac-12 for the Big Ten.

I’ve heard this and going independent pretty regularly for the past few months. Football wise I like it, geographically it makes no sense. I’m sure many players/coaches/fans will enjoy playing November away games in 75 degree weather. It would be wild for USC to play a conference championship game at Lucas Oil. We may be slightly outnumbered fan wise Lol.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

I’ve heard this and going independent pretty regularly for the past few months. Football wise I like it, geographically it makes no sense. I’m sure many players/coaches/fans will enjoy playing November away games in 75 degree weather. It would be wild for USC to play a conference championship game at Lucas Oil. We may be slightly outnumbered fan wise Lol.

75 degree in November... 

Where?

In L.A?

Because not in my Columbus... 

Just now, HooverOutlaw said:

It killed Nebraska. 

Well obviously a gamble and can go either way. Financially probably makes sense. Larry Scott put all those schools back a a decade. I like UCLA, I could realistically give 2 shits what conference they play in.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Just a gut feeling Utah doesnt stick in the pac-12 much longer and neither does ASU... 

It could open the door for BYU to enter a new conference with say Utah, ASU, Oregon. 

Cal and Stanford could really be the outliers here. With UCLA they identified as the high academic Pac12 schools. Stanford is more of a national pull school. Cal has a strong international pull. Not many west coast schools have the same acedemic philosophy and play at a D-1 level. Harvey Mudd, Scripps, Claremont etc ain’t gonna keep up with them in the athletic arena, but could probably split more atoms than any other fuckers around 😂

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

It could open the door for BYU to enter a new conference with say Utah, ASU, Oregon. 

Cal and Stanford could really be the outliers here. With UCLA they identified as the high academic Pac12 schools. Stanford is more of a national pull school. Cal has a strong international pull. Not many west coast schools have the same acedemic philosophy and play at a D-1 level. Harvey Mudd, Scripps, Claremont etc ain’t gonna keep up with them in the athletic arena, but could probably split more atoms than any other fuckers around 😂

BYU is going to Big 12.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, RedZone said:

From a recruiting standpoint it doesn't make much sense .

Neither USC or UCLA make a living recruiting players in the Midwest.

I guess that could change though since they're now buying players. 

That said if it goes through USC and UCLA schedules will improve about 100%.

Instead of playing one or two Top 25 teams every year they will now play possibly five to six.

This only makes sense for football, which of course dictates everything. Although it would suck for SoCal teams to play in Madison, Wisconsin in November 😬

This makes no sense for other sports. The volleyball, golf, track, swimming, etc teams will travel to Rutgers? Do some of these Big 10 schools even play water polo? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bodysurf said:

This only makes sense for football, which of course dictates everything. Although it would suck for SoCal teams to play in Madison, Wisconsin in November 😬

This makes no sense for other sports. The volleyball, golf, track, swimming, etc teams will travel to Rutgers? Do some of these Big 10 schools even play water polo? 

I’m guessing the Bruins and Trojans baseball schedule will have a lot of March and April home games and be very travel heavy on the backend 😂.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, RedZone said:

That said if it goes through USC and UCLA schedules will improve about 100%.

Instead of playing one or two Top 25 teams every year they will now play possibly five to six.

@steeler01 said USC will be competing for national championships in a couple years and the playing field is now level in college football.

I guess we're going to find out.

USC better try to win the Big 10 first. 🙂