Cutting the Cord

PrepGridiron

On 8/11/2017 at 3:32 PM, PrepGridiron said:

I know this seems like this should go in the OT forum, but alas, the reason I keep my cable/DirectTV is because of the ability to watch HSFB. ESPN games, Fox Sports West Games, Local Comcast broadcasts, Fox Sports games during the postseason especially Thanksgiving and the occasional regular season small class Louisiana games, TX highlight show, etc. Can NFHS, YouTube, paid service subscription (ESPN) and FloFootball sustain you? Has anyone else cut the cord and still able to watch all the HS football they want?

I switched to YouTubeTv earlier this year and it's been phenomenal.  I get pretty much all of the sports channels I got before and can supplement a lot of other California games with NHFS Network.  Too boot, my cable/internet bill got cut nearly in half.  I can watch my YouTubeTv absolutely anywhere.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2017 at 6:52 PM, HawgGoneIt said:

I hadd cut the cord once. Went totally Netflix, NFHS and whatever free streams guys like Caj were sharing on the boards. 

Made it for a year and then eventually got Dish back. Said to myself, America's Top 200 is all I'm getting... Then the guys on here are on about GOT, and I got a free HBO weekend which allowed me OnDemand for GOT. Got hooked and upped to having the HBO premium upgrade too.

Oh Woe Is Me!

C8966C41-85EA-4D55-ABBD-92C49AE4A096.gif

• Haha 2

On 8/11/2017 at 6:32 PM, PrepGridiron said:

I know this seems like this should go in the OT forum, but alas, the reason I keep my cable/DirectTV is because of the ability to watch HSFB. ESPN games, Fox Sports West Games, Local Comcast broadcasts, Fox Sports games during the postseason especially Thanksgiving and the occasional regular season small class Louisiana games, TX highlight show, etc. Can NFHS, YouTube, paid service subscription (ESPN) and FloFootball sustain you? Has anyone else cut the cord and still able to watch all the HS football they want?

You still have cable!!!!!  WTF

Everything is on the internet and you can watch it on any screen in the house. Big small or whatever. 

I cut the cord years ago. Never missed a game. 

It takes some splicing together of the different services but in the end it's cheaper and tailored to what you watch. 

1 minute ago, FolsomPrisonBlues said:

My whole thing is this- by the time you cut the cord, but then pay for all the various streaming services, PLUS Internet, you are back at what cable costs in the first place, if not close.

Am I wrong here?

yes you are wrong. Like another poster said, he cut his bill in half. I easily did the same while increasing my available viewing. 

On 8/11/2017 at 3:32 PM, PrepGridiron said:

Check out directv now. No cable boxes or satellite dish. I pay $60 a month, get everything I need. Then supplement with NHSF during the playoffs. 

3 minutes ago, noonereal said:

yes you are wrong. Like another poster said, he cut his bill in half. I easily did the same while increasing my available viewing. 

Break down pricing for me. This is how I see it:

$60 for Internet

$10 Netflix

$10 Amazon Prime

$20 for other various services

That leaves you at $100 bucks a month right there.

I pay around $110 for Internet and a high cable package together. Netflix is free. Doesn't seem like I'd be saving much, at all.

8 minutes ago, FolsomPrisonBlues said:

Break down pricing for me. This is how I see it:

$60 for Internet

$10 Netflix

$10 Amazon Prime

$20 for other various services

That leaves you at $100 bucks a month right there.

I pay around $110 for Internet and a high cable package together. Netflix is free. Doesn't seem like I'd be saving much, at all.

If your only paying 110 and like your package you are golden  

Im currently using Durex build on Kodi. They have some great pay options in there also. Search troypoint durex build for info.  

Great app to add to fire stick right now is cinema app ( search cinema troypoint for easy directions). It’s a small download and movies work great. It’s same as terriaum tv app that’s not active any longer. The guy retired. 

I purchased the new 4K fire stick few weeks ago and working great. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NorCalRuss said:

If your only paying 110 and like your package you are golden  

Im currently using Durex build on Kodi. They have some great pay options in there also. Search troypoint durex build for info.  

Great app to add to fire stick right now is cinema app ( search cinema troypoint for easy directions). It’s a small download and movies work great. It’s same as terriaum tv app that’s not active any longer. The guy retired. 

I purchased the new 4K fire stick few weeks ago and working great. 

Thanks, that's why I am having trouble switching. It seems like when I add everything up for streaming, I am back to where I was with normal cable and Internet.

5 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Can you assist me with this?   Thx.  PM me if you like.   I assume this means that if I wanted to torture myself by watching a Giants game not televised in my area of Florida,  I could grab possibly a local Fox or CBS affiliate and watch the game?   

They are up to Kodi 17.6 Krypton now, which I am using with an older firestick.   

I highly recommend Kodi-Supremacy setup...  for live TV from network to sports a thumbs up.  Sports is a wow factor (especially for my addiction of sports... my wife said you'll never sleep now lol).   I will have to do some research and see all the options I have and then start finding the scheduling to follow.   Yesterday Poland was playing Czechia (formerly Czech Republic) in a friendly and I wanted to check it out.   Only ESPN+ was carrying the game in the U.S., a monthly $4.99 fee I believe.    I watched the game :).  Thank you SkySports.  EuroSport 1 and 2 in play.  US sports channels as well.   Movies also looks solid, although I haven't spent much time on it yet.  Exodus was the go-to until recently.  

BEIN is available.   Xfinity/Comcast broke contract with them.   Forgot to mention.  

Kodi works ok, until it doesnt. I got tired of conatantly having to find a app that hasnt been shutdown. Between that and "no stream available", I gave up.

I called DISH and threatened to cut the cord, and they cut my bill down from $120 to $85.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2017 at 3:48 PM, Ararar said:

With ESPN app,spectrum app fox sports app and all the mom and pops streams you can watch every thing

Negative.  Fox GO App does not show FoxSports West up here in NorCal.  I HATE missing the games of the week because of it.  So frustrating.  Just another reason to hate FOX. That whole family is dysfunctional.  Is there any other way besides twitter to hear, watch the MD CEN10 game?

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

Negative.  Fox GO App does not show FoxSports West up here in NorCal.  I HATE missing the games of the week because of it.  So frustrating.  Just another reason to hate FOX. That whole family is dysfunctional.  Is there any other way besides twitter to hear, watch the MD CEN10 game?

OMG.  So very frustrating that NorCal gets screwed out of watching games.  Esp when people in other parts of country can watch.  I mean good for them but damn.  If I find anyway to watch it I'll let you know.  Every year it's a scramble on Friday nights to figure out how to watch some of these games.  Sometimes somebody will post a link, which I am grateful, but can't count on it.  

Just now, World Citizen said:

OMG.  So very frustrating that NorCal gets screwed out of watching games.  Esp when people in other parts of country can watch.  I mean good for them but damn.  If I find anyway to watch it I'll let you know.  Every year it's a scramble on Friday nights to figure out how to watch some of these games.  Sometimes somebody will post a link, which I am grateful, but can't count on it.  

Yes!!!  The whole world gets to watch FoxSports West, but thanks to the powers that be in The Trinity, we get squat.  I just read on the game thread for the game that MD streams their games on their facebook page.  Hoping its not fake news, but if true, I am one happy pappy.

6 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

Yes!!!  The whole world gets to watch FoxSports West, but thanks to the powers that be in The Trinity, we get squat.  I just read on the game thread for the game that MD streams their games on their facebook page.  Hoping its not fake news, but if true, I am one happy pappy.

Damn.  I hate Facebook.  Hope you don't need an invite to a group or something.  Idk much about how Facebook does these things.  

But if it is legit, I will be a happy man as well.  

#goodlucktous

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FolsomPrisonBlues said:

Thanks, that's why I am having trouble switching. It seems like when I add everything up for streaming, I am back to where I was with normal cable and Internet.

quick question, don't you already have internet? 

If so, why do you count it as a an expense towards streaming subscriptions when you break down cable vs streaming services? 

That makes no sense. 

3 hours ago, FolsomPrisonBlues said:

With the kodi builds or Cinema app I posted, you pay nothing for unlimited streaming of movies at least. Only pay for live TV hd quality 

2 hours ago, rockinl said:

Kodi works ok, until it doesnt. I got tired of conatantly having to find a app that hasnt been shutdown. Between that and "no stream available", I gave up.

I called DISH and threatened to cut the cord, and they cut my bill down from $120 to $85.

Takes 1-5 mins to add updated program and most good builds have section where all movies there are HD only with active link. Use troypoint as source. Updates best builds and updates as needed. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rockinl said:

Hopefully the Euro sports options continue for awhile.   I was watching ski jumping on Eurosport 2 yesterday.  Having multiple BEIN channels (soccer focus mainly) is also a major plus.  

If anyone digs Cricket, they’ll like this setup.  :)