The future of high school football

badrouter

2 minutes ago, badrouter said:

If they were in a league with the teams I listed, that league would have parity. Perhaps they'd finish at the bottom of that league, but that's because someone would have to end up last. Heritage beat them on a FG at the buzzer last year. Their worst outcome by far was a game they trailed STA 26-14 after 3 quarters. CG was better than every 7A and 8A team not named STA. They'd obviously fit better in a league than Davie Nova. 

But if Cardinal Gibbons can be that good than practically anyone can. Let's just stick to like vs. like.

If Cardinal Gibbons can win 3 titles in 4 years then certainly Monsignor Pace can. Archbishop McCarthy could, Cardinal Newman could, Gulliver Prep certainly could. American Heritage-Delray.

The list goes on.

That's just in South Florida and that's not even counting any publics.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, badrouter said:

OK. So, the point of the thread is to discuss ways in which such changes can happen in a way where most everyone benefits, rather than letting shysters come in and make themselves the center of attention at the expense of the schools and kids.

I think everyone would benefit in that scenario.

The national programs that have clearly separated themselves would play each other (of those ~1,000 schools we mentioned in the top 10%) and the rest would get their own system where they could compete with each other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, badrouter said:

So, perhaps some of these schools that drop the real thing will get into 7v7, which is also much cheaper to administrate

...7/7 just isn't that big in Louisiana.

Louisiana will keep doing their thing forever. Without Louisiana High School football there can really be no LSU.

May never have a another national championship team again, but who cares?

Maybe MaxPreps, Calpreps and etc..... some goofy fanboys.

39 minutes ago, badrouter said:

oh, my mistake. 

Sure, 90% sounds about right. But I think the problem arises when they end up having to face those types of teams anyway. I think that 90% mostly wants to play others from the 90%, not get bludgeoned by the 10% loading up on stars. 

That’s very realistic though. 90% of teams over the course of a season will play at least one team who whoops them, whether it happens once or 8 times. 

you say 10% will load up on stars. That’s about 30 teams just in LA. I think most teams would gladly line up against the 30th best team in LA without any issues. Doesn’t mean they will win, but there will be a football game.

now I will give you that there are probably 10% of teams that shouldn’t. They know who they are

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rufus69 said:

I know I'm the weird one...but I started posting as Rufus in 1997 on the old GAVSV boards (Georgia).  And to this day...I have NOT posted under any other login than some sort of "Rufus" combination.  I believe my current login is Rufus69 (reflecting my IQ).

I have posted under Rufus...and under Rufus S DeMann and finally...Rufus69.

I was made to change from Rufus to something with more than 5 digits.  I was made to change from Rufus S DeMann to add some sort of numbers to my login...so if they make me change again...it will more than likely be some sort of "rufus" moniker.

Like I said...I'm the weird one.

Rufus>>

Same screen name since Rivals 2010? forum.  Not weird bro, normal.  

No need to change for me, even with degenerative disk disease in recent years and very little golf being played other than on ultimate golf app.  :)   I started with the screen name 12 yrs ago or so and stand behind every post… and it’s a shame we lost all the archived data from back to Rivals.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atticus Finch said:

I think everyone would benefit in that scenario.

The national programs that have clearly separated themselves would play each other (of those ~1,000 schools we mentioned in the top 10%) and the rest would get their own system where they could compete with each other.

At the moment, it doesn't appear as if anyone other than shysters are thinking ahead on how to make this work. High school coaches focus solely on their teams and their areas. State associations only focus on their own states. There doesn't seem to be any consideration given to the way the game is changing on a "macro" level. NIL, open enrollment, 7v7, and the culture of merging forces to form super teams are all rapidly changing the nature of HS football. 

The 7v7 teams are recruiting players from all over. Two of Lakeland's DBs played for 7v7 traveling teams based in Miami, one of whom won a large national tourney over Cam Newton's sqaud in Las Vegas. Football is getting to be much more like AAU basketball. I think everyone will end up better off if some effort is made to imagine how to manage the sport with these evolving conditions.

9 hours ago, badrouter said:

At the moment, it doesn't appear as if anyone other than shysters are thinking ahead on how to make this work. High school coaches focus solely on their teams and their areas. State associations only focus on their own states. There doesn't seem to be any consideration given to the way the game is changing on a "macro" level. NIL, open enrollment, 7v7, and the culture of merging forces to form super teams are all rapidly changing the nature of HS football. 

The 7v7 teams are recruiting players from all over. Two of Lakeland's DBs played for 7v7 traveling teams based in Miami, one of whom won a large national tourney over Cam Newton's sqaud in Las Vegas. Football is getting to be much more like AAU basketball. I think everyone will end up better off if some effort is made to imagine how to manage the sport with these evolving conditions.

there's just not enough schools on the national level or trying to get there to affect anything. the "national" teams already know who each other are now. We're not changing everything for 15,000 schools because of what 20 do

• Like 2

On 7/28/2022 at 4:53 PM, HawgGoneIt said:

This. Not many people care about IMG or St. Frances, and why would they? They aren't representing much of what most people understand as high school football in general. 

I really don't care about them much myself. If they weren't being posted in polls or pimped by ree rees, I wouldn't even know their name.

When we played Miami Central, the visitor stands wound up being almost full.  When we played IMG, there *might* have been 30 visitors.  There certainly weren't enough to have one parent/fan per player.  I thought it was pretty sad.

• Like 2

On 7/28/2022 at 4:59 PM, Ga96 said:

Been on mine took all but 1 post to know it was that fatass outta lake city Fl. 

If he is on your ignore list, how do you see his posts to respond?

On 7/28/2022 at 5:01 PM, Ga96 said:

I have no problems with them either. My problem is those that do the same but pretend to be regular schools. md sjb grayson lee sta etc...

If you can't tell the difference between IMG and its goals and methods and Grayson, you are far less informed than I gave you credit for and that wasn't much.  IMG's stated goal is to improve athletes' skills to improve their chances of a college scholarship leading to a professional career.  They do this with on campus residential facilities and an academic schedule tailored around the sport skills training and practice.  It costs big bucks to attend.  None of those goals or characteristics apply to Grayson and the fact you don't recognize that is a sad commentary on you.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2022 at 11:04 AM, Rufus69 said:

I know I'm the weird one...but I started posting as Rufus in 1997 on the old GAVSV boards (Georgia).  And to this day...I have NOT posted under any other login than some sort of "Rufus" combination.  I believe my current login is Rufus69 (reflecting my IQ).

I have posted under Rufus...and under Rufus S DeMann and finally...Rufus69.

I was made to change from Rufus to something with more than 5 digits.  I was made to change from Rufus S DeMann to add some sort of numbers to my login...so if they make me change again...it will more than likely be some sort of "rufus" moniker.

Like I said...I'm the weird one.

Rufus>>

I was Fred on the AJC, I've been Fred on every other board except GAVSV because Fred was taken when I signed up.  It's pretty obvious who I am everywhere as I am a Grayson supporter and I write the same way everywhere.  I don't have multiple accounts.  Shoot, I have a hard enough time remembering what I write as Fred much less trying to keep up with multiple accounts.  People's writing styles are hard to disguise or emulate.  That's why those of us who have chatted with Rab for years could recognize that was not the real Rab who was posting as him.  It was close but no cigar for sure.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, SoCalFball said:

I think you could have public and private schools separating sooner then later in Cali 

If any hs athlete has an NIL deal, they can’t use the schools logo or anything related to the high school in the proportion. It’s no different for public/private when it comes to NIL. Not sure why you want the split so bad. You’re beating other public schools by 85 points. If you separate, they’re just going to want to separate from you guys eventually because you and 99.99% of the publics aren’t in the same world.