Top 25 according to maxpreps

Ga96

1 minute ago, FootballGuy said:

Ahhh... the nitpicking. Well while you're at it, go ahead and list ALL the OOS games they've played in the past decade. And don't think because they lost those 3 games that they didn't do well because if you want to go there, we can. 

Yes,  but name the relevant teams. 

Playing Melbourne Central Catholic isn't gonna help them with the experience of playing teams like Madonna

Just now, FootballGuy said:

List all the OOS teams they've played in the past decade and we can determine if they did well in them or not. 

Myers Park

Madonna

LCA

Deerfield Beach

Melbourne Catholic

International School of Broward

South Pointe

Bishop Timon St. Jude(Buffalo)

Jefferson Davis

Eastern Christian Academy

Trinity Catholic Academy(Best win against a small school power)

Yulee

11 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

Myers Park

Madonna

LCA

Deerfield Beach

Melbourne Catholic

South Pointe

Bishop Timon St. Jude(Buffalo)

Jefferson Davis

Eastern Christian Academy

Trinity Catholic Academy(Best win against a small school power)

Yulee

Okay good. Now outside of all the guaranteed wins, let's break it down:

Trinity Christian: did they play well?

South Pointe: did they play well?

Deerfield Beach: did they play well?

LCA: did they play well?

Myers Park: did they play well?

Chaminade: did they play well?

And if your rebuttal is gonna be "they lost those games," don't even bother to respond. 

11 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

Okay good. Now outside of all the guaranteed wins, let's break it down:

Trinity Christian: did they play well?

I expected them to win this game easily. I had a couple of bets on 5 dimes with them

South Pointe: did they play well?

No,  they let a QB scramble around all game long and lost.  South Pointe's offense was all QB draws.  Was sad to watch this game

Deerfield Beach: did they play well?

Deerfield Beach they should've beaten. Did you see what the two teams that beat DFB did to them that year?

LCA: did they play well?

This isn't a give me game? Really

Myers Park: did they play well?

See above

Chaminade: did they play well?

I think they did just fine 

40 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

I expected them to win this game easily. I had a couple of bets on 5 dimes with them

No,  they let a QB scramble around all game long and lost.  South Pointe's offense was all QB draws.  Was sad to watch this game

Deerfield Beach they should've beaten. Did you see what the two teams that beat DFB did to them that year?

This isn't a give me game? Really

See above

I think they did just fine 

Good post. I'll give you the LCA game. And from the looks of it, it looks like Myers Park had a lot of forfeited wins based on their record. South Pointe? Lost by 6 from big plays. Derion Kendrick was really good. Deerfield? Lost they lead late in the game from a big play. 

Buford has oos experience, so I think they'll be fine vs Thompson because they know what it takes. Thompson can run alabama all day, but when you're going up against someone who played in big time games, it's gone be a different ball game for Thompson. 

1 hour ago, FootballGuy said:

Why not?

In my opinion, no team this year is as good as last season's Collins Hill team. Buford is a good candidate for best in the state, but they've sparsely played 7A competition. Grayson is coming off one of their worser season in the past 5 or 6 years. Mill Creek has Downs but hasn't proven they can reach the finals...ever. There is no clear favorite in my eyes for 7A; every team has some noticeable flaw. Collins Hill was a fringe top 15 team last year and I know each year varies, but I'm not confident about any team being that highly ranked in the preseason. That'll change by week two or three though. I mean, do you really think Buford should be as high as 11th? I certainly don't, at least now.

47 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

Buford has oos experience, so I think they'll be fine vs Thompson because they know what it takes. Thompson can run alabama all day, but when you're going up against someone who played in big time games, it's gone be a different ball game for Thompson. 

I think both teams have the same experience against teams of equal level that they will face that day. 

51 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

In my opinion, no team this year is as good as last season's Collins Hill team. Buford is a good candidate for best in the state, but they've sparsely played 7A competition. Grayson is coming off one of their worser season in the past 5 or 6 years. Mill Creek has Downs but hasn't proven they can reach the finals...ever. There is no clear favorite in my eyes for 7A; every team has some noticeable flaw. Collins Hill was a fringe top 15 team last year and I know each year varies, but I'm not confident about any team being that highly ranked in the preseason. That'll change by week two or three though. I mean, do you really think Buford should be as high as 11th? I certainly don't, at least now.

Well these rankings are based purely off of potential/star power. I don't have a problem with them being ranked that high. Let's go back to 2016. Grayson was ranked as high as number 2 in the preseason. Did you agree with that? Did you agree with Collins Hill being ranked as high as number 3 last season?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FootballGuy said:

Well these rankings are based purely off of potential/star power. I don't have a problem with them being ranked that high. Let's go back to 2016. Grayson was ranked as high as number 2 in the preseason. Did you agree with that? Did you agree with Collins Hill being ranked as high as number 3 last season?

Not really. If these rankings are based purely on stars, then I see the point. If it's based on team production, then I don't think they're top 20. That makes sense now. Stars do attract more attention.

24 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

Not really. If these rankings are based purely on stars, then I see the point. If it's based on team production, then I don't think they're top 20. That makes sense now. Stars do attract more attention.

None of these teams have produced yet though. It’s all based on potential 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RedZone said:

Past O0S games mean doo-doo in 2022. Who cares what a team did 4 or 5 years ago. 

Buford is probably going to handle Thompson.

Whatever Thompson has Buford has and much much more.....including 2 5* game changers in the 2024 class and a great 2025 class in the works also

https://247sports.com/Player/Eddrick-Houston-46113344/

https://247sports.com/Player/Eddrick-Houston-46113344/

Buford may also have the best LB in the nation in the 2025 Class....another 5* most likely......

LB Jaden Periotte offers: LSU, Ohio St, Georgia, Penn St, Texas, and about 25 more.

https://247sports.com/Player/Jadon-Perlotte-46127890/

Thompson on the road loses by 2-3 TDs. 

Thompson did not play one team last year that looked like Buford and they won't this year either. ...Thompson may not score a TD.

17 hours ago, steeler01 said:

Yes,  but name the relevant teams. 

Playing Melbourne Central Catholic isn't gonna help them with the experience of playing teams like Madonna

I always love when people demand respect for certain teams and then bristle when you don't really rate wins over Melbourne Central Catholic, Myers Park, Life Christian, Jeff Davis, Bishop Timon-St. Jude, International School of Broward, etc.

1 hour ago, Atticus Finch said:

I always love when people demand respect for certain teams and then bristle when you don't really rate wins over Melbourne Central Catholic, Myers Park, Life Christian, Jeff Davis, Bishop Timon-St. Jude, International School of Broward, etc.

That's great, but who's your pick in the Buford/Thompson game?

On 8/3/2022 at 8:44 PM, ngdawg said:

Grayson is coming off one of their worser season in the past 5 or 6 years.

Huh?  if you had said 2017, 2018 or 2019, I might agree.  We made it to the semifinals last year which was one better than I really expected.

3 hours ago, Fred said:

Huh?  if you had said 2017, 2018 or 2019, I might agree.  We made it to the semifinals last year which was one better than I really expected.

Last season was worse than 2017, 2018, and 2019 for sure. They made the semifinals, but had a weak road to that point compared to other years. Last year, Grayson lost by 21 to Brookwood, lost to Creekside, survived a par Archer team by 2, only beat Harrison and Newton by 8, and escaped South Gwinnett by 3.

Not very Grayson-esque, which leads me to believe that was their worst team in the past 5 years AT LEAST.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2022 at 12:08 AM, ngdawg said:

Last season was worse than 2017, 2018, and 2019 for sure. They made the semifinals, but had a weak road to that point compared to other years. Last year, Grayson lost by 21 to Brookwood, lost to Creekside, survived a par Archer team by 2, only beat Harrison and Newton by 8, and escaped South Gwinnett by 3.

Not very Grayson-esque, which leads me to believe that was their worst team in the past 5 years AT LEAST.

In the end, *how* you win doesn't matter.  *That* you win is what matters.  We went farther last year than the other years.  Far from the worst team.  You know what they call the team that wins 15 games by 1 point?  State champion.

31 minutes ago, Fred said:

In the end, *how* you win doesn't matter.  *That* you win is what matters.  We went farther last year than the other years.  Far from the worst team.  You know what they call the team that wins 15 games by 1 point?  State champion.

As an analyst, I disagree. For coaches and fans, margin of victory and loss doesn't matter. But I have considered it for the past several years and it has led to more accurate rankings and predictions. Bracket layout matters as well, because Warner Robins playing Cartersville in the 2nd round is a crime. To you, it may seem that another Grayson team was worse. In my opinion, 2021 Grayson was the worst of the ones listed. I just have different methods to back up my claim than you do. 

34 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

As an analyst, I disagree. For coaches and fans, margin of victory and loss doesn't matter. But I have considered it for the past several years and it has led to more accurate rankings and predictions. Bracket layout matters as well, because Warner Robins playing Cartersville in the 2nd round is a crime. To you, it may seem that another Grayson team was worse. In my opinion, 2021 Grayson was the worst of the ones listed. I just have different methods to back up my claim than you do. 

There is a fallacy in attempting to rate teams at the high school level that haven't and never will play each other.  All of the daisy chaining that goes on just doesn't mean squat in the end.  I always chuckle when I see people comparing teams that never played each other and they are using different years even.  I really laugh at that.  Sure, there are those match ups that are laughers from the get go such as Grayson vs the International School of Broward but comparing any decent team really just doesn't hold true.  Teenage hormonal boys playing a game are in general just too inconsistent to be able to make a valid comparison.  There is normally too much of a change in their abilities from year to year and even game to game to compare.

1 hour ago, Fred said:

There is a fallacy in attempting to rate teams at the high school level that haven't and never will play each other.  All of the daisy chaining that goes on just doesn't mean squat in the end.  I always chuckle when I see people comparing teams that never played each other and they are using different years even.  I really laugh at that.  Sure, there are those match ups that are laughers from the get go such as Grayson vs the International School of Broward but comparing any decent team really just doesn't hold true.  Teenage hormonal boys playing a game are in general just too inconsistent to be able to make a valid comparison.  There is normally too much of a change in their abilities from year to year and even game to game to compare.

I think it certainly is possible to compare and make an educated prediction, but there's no way of actually knowing. I'll never try the "Team A beat Team B and Team B beat Team C, so Team A would beat Team C". What I do believe in is margin of victory against opponents. Grayson beating Archer by 3 is very different than Grayson beating Archer by 23. You can consider the strength of that Archer team in its respective years and use that (along with other factors) to make an educated prediction. There is much more analysis I do, but it helped me predict 7 of the 16 state finalists and 4 state champions...in the preseason (last year). I was honestly impressed at myself with the results. That, and it even helped me predict the exact score of two games in the same weekend, the odds of which are extremely small. The more factors you consider, the better your prediction will be.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 2:36 PM, ngdawg said:

Doubt around if Grayson is going to be the same level of a team as they were in 2016 or 2020. Or with Buford consistently handling 7A competition. They've won here and there against 7A competition, like one game or two per year. Now, it's much more consistent pressure.

I’m with you. I think Buford will shit and fall back in it when they face a full season of good teams. When that happens talent will quit flowing to that little hammock and they’ll be an average team in a sea of giants in 5 years. 😉 Lee had those animals beat 2 years ago but ran into some thick air around the goal line to end the game.

Grayson will continue to do Grayson things. They’ll recruit recruit recruit and hit on that magical championship every few years or so. I haven’t seen their recruiting list for this season so I’m not sure if it’s magical or not. 🙄

I want to make it clear. I write based on feelings, hopes, and wishes and in no way should it be taken as gospel. My pay grade ain’t that high. :)

• Haha 2