Cale Gundy pulls a redzone, forced to resign from OU.

HurricaneNick

I think there’s more to it. Must’ve gotten pretty bad internally to go this route. Cancel culture is ridiculous. I also think it’s pretty ridiculous that a college educated grown man couldn’t refrain from reading that word out loud, especially in todays world. We’ll never know the whole story, but the statement from Gundy makes it appear his resignation is solely due to using that word. *IF* that’s true, does the punishment fit the crime? Depends who you ask. 

• Like 1

There has to be more to the story. Gundy said himself that the 'word' he said was not his own as he was only reading it. Yes, he should have had better restraint and refrained from uttering the word. But if this is truly the full story, it seems a bit harsh, even in today's woke cancel culture. 

On 8/8/2022 at 12:03 PM, HurricaneNick said:

I think there’s more to it. Must’ve gotten pretty bad internally to go this route. Cancel culture is ridiculous. I also think it’s pretty ridiculous that a college educated grown man couldn’t refrain from reading that word out loud, especially in todays world. We’ll never know the whole story, but the statement from Gundy makes it appear his resignation is solely due to using that word. *IF* that’s true, does the punishment fit the crime? Depends who you ask. 

What crime?

There's a difference between using the n-word as a slur and reporting its use.

A person who plays a racist in a movie and says the n-word isn't, for that reason, guilty of using a racial slur. 

It was a foolish thing for him to have done (we expect coaches and teachers etc. to avoid uttering a range of bad words: the f-word, the p-word etc.), but it wasn't racist, which is the terrible crime it sounds like he's being accused of. Why else would he have to resign?

9 minutes ago, Ararar said:

Why can’t it be what it is?

A man feeling really bad about what he said and doesn’t want to be a distraction to the team and university.Which he most definitely would be if he stayed 

No he wouldn’t necessarily be a distraction. The only reason we know about the incident is because he quit. He’s brought national attention to this on his own with his letter. 

57 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

No he wouldn’t necessarily be a distraction. The only reason we know about the incident is because he quit. He’s brought national attention to this on his own with his letter. 

You really think this would have stayed a secret? Someone would have talked and then what? The university and coach have to explain why they hushed it up..then it’s a shit show.

what about the players? Would they all feel comfortable with what happened and essentially nothing was done about it?

5 minutes ago, Ararar said:

You really think this would have stayed a secret? Someone would have talked and then what? The university and coach have to explain why they hushed it up..then it’s a shit show.

what about the players? Would they all feel comfortable with what happened and essentially nothing was done about it?

Yeah, every incident is not blabbed to the media like some believe, a lot are but not all. 

it depends on how Gundy handled the issue and how it was addressed with the players. That part we don’t know. Did they see it as a genuine mistake or something else? 

Im not convinced we got the whole story, it seems a little fishy to me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Yeah, every incident is not blabbed to the media like some believe, a lot are but not all. 

it depends on how Gundy handled the issue and how it was addressed with the players. That part we don’t know. Did they see it as a genuine mistake or something else? 

Fair enough 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

If a coach gets fired over using it a player should too. Can't be a 2 way street.

13 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

I agree something else has happened.

If a black coach said it would he be fired? If a black coach said honky would he get fired?

More to this.

Put me in the camp of, there is almost certainly more to it and we will not likely get a clear understanding of what that was. 

Seems like we are getting close to the part of the discussion now when people start talking about who their best friends are.

2 hours ago, Horsefly said:

That’s the thing, Gundy wasn’t fired, he quit on his own. 

Southerners have a hard time with The N-Word.  Not really but fun to give them a pass on ignorance 101. It used to be their everyday vocabulary and now when a supposed slip occurs it's well they are just woke.  If I go in church and read something with the word Muthafucka in it out loud.  I shouldn't expect the congregation to be well it just slipped.  I don't care who wrote it I expect a Coach Black or white to have more polish than a kid.  It's always more to these things.  I bet old Goober Gundy has let out more than I Nigg## in his life.  He quit, that says alot.  If it was so innocent I'm sure he wouldn't have been fired.  I need a few more Southerners the Experts on the N-Word to educate us on what's woke or not.  To hell with Gundy. The truth is they don't want his ass to hurt the black kids going there.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ararar said:

Why can’t it be what it is?

A man feeling really bad about what he said and doesn’t want to be a distraction to the team and university.Which he most definitely would be if he stayed 

Because if he truly is such a great distraction for inadvertently reading a word that somebody else wrote, then our culture is messed up beyond repair. I find this story hard to believe. It seems to me they are killing the messenger in this case.

• Thanks 1