DC/MD/VA Scores

MA Fan

Does South County (Lorton) compete with Freedom (Woodbridge) for athletes?  Interesting that they didn’t play each other last year.

High school football in the DC area needs games like these (DeMatha, GC, Freedom, South County, Quince Orchard) to compete with the rising popularity of soccer and attracting both fans and athletes.

2 minutes ago, hardhit1 said:

I like the ESPN game

Hopefully you can get it and not pay $20 to see the game😀

Honestly, it’s not the $20-it’s the subscription which can be very difficult to cancel.  Having had several bad experiences I will no longer watch a game which requires a subscription.

2 hours ago, BigDrop said:

Does South County (Lorton) compete with Freedom (Woodbridge) for athletes?  Interesting that they didn’t play each other last year.

Fairfax schools and Prince William schools don't play each other very often, although it happens more than it used to. You're still more likely to see South County play a team from Western Fairfax even though the Eastern PWC schools are closer. IDK if it is still a thing with all the VHSL realignments but they used to have a scheduling committee that set the non-district matchups for the "Northern Region" (Fairfax/Arlington/Alexandria) schools, so nobody ended up stuck with an open date that forced them to look further afield for opponents.

In theory Freedom wouldn't be pulling athletes from South County since you'd have to establish residency in Prince William but who knows. I don't think SC or anyone else in Fairfax is running that kind of program.

• Like 1

John Paul the Great applying to join the WCAC:

https://www.insidenova.com/sports/prince_william/saint-john-paul-the-great-high-school-applies-for-membership-in-the-washington-catholic-athletic/article_a290e2f2-a7dd-11ed-899b-7b1f16a86bf5.html

Right now they are worse than Ireton at football and not that strong at other sports either, but if they want to ramp up their athletics the geographic niche is there.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, MA Fan said:

I thought this was in Massillon, or is this a different event? Another fun VHSL matchup for next year in any case.

It is in Massillon.  In fact Massillon plays Valdosta in the highlight game.  Canton is the Hall of Fame stadium but Massillon is the best hs stadium I’ve ever been in.

16 hours ago, MA Fan said:

I thought this was in Massillon, or is this a different event? Another fun VHSL matchup for next year in any case.

It is... Most teams will stay in a Canton hotel and go to the hall of fame as part of the trip. Massillon and Canton are basically right next to each other and PB stadium is on west side of town towards Canton. Dinwiddie is the replacement for Life Christian who had to bail on it. 

On 2/28/2023 at 6:42 PM, NicholasMalibu said:

Hearing DeMatha is playing D1 Ohio state runner up Springfield in the Ironton Football Classic this fall. 

Springfield had some good wins in 2022, notably against Moeller 28-24 , before losing to St. Edwards 28-14 in the Ohio D1 final. Anyone know what they bring back in ‘23?

They bring back their entire O line most D line a couple receivers & DB’ s 

They will reload with their 3rd QB in 3 years via transfer 

time to catch Ohio teams are the first couple weeks of the season 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Artcle about Freedom-DeMatha game and other nuggets regarding Freedom's schedule. One of their receivers is transferring to SFA, we'll see if others follow:

https://www.insidenova.com/sports/prince_william/defending-class-6-state-football-champ-freedom-woodbridge-to-host-dematha-sept-8/article_3e1a0b6e-c731-11ed-9d38-3bcf44248399.html?utm_campaign=blox&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

6 hours ago, MA Fan said:

Artcle about Freedom-DeMatha game and other nuggets regarding Freedom's schedule. One of their receivers is transferring to SFA, we'll see if others follow:

https://www.insidenova.com/sports/prince_william/defending-class-6-state-football-champ-freedom-woodbridge-to-host-dematha-sept-8/article_3e1a0b6e-c731-11ed-9d38-3bcf44248399.html?utm_campaign=blox&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

I know DM returns their qb and rb but overall how strong do they look for ‘23?  The Ohio game is significant, too.

• 3 weeks later...

Gardner is a running threat and I was very unimpressed with his throwing ability

their RB is very good and I know they will have a great line

GC will probably play mostly weaver but I wouldn’t be surprised to see their backup get some time. They have a very strong RB and WR and OT but are starting a mostly new front 7. 

GZs QB improved immensely from a year but he’s no Caleb Williams and they play hard with what they have

idk about sjc

• 1 month later...