Introducing TheCompPoll.com (Final Rankings Released 2022-12-20)

dntn31

• dntn31 changed the title to 2022 Comp Poll (Updated 09-07-2022)
  • dntn31 changed the title to 2022 Comp Poll (Updated 2022-09-13)
  • dntn31 changed the title to 2022 Comp Poll (Updated 2022-09-20)
  • dntn31 changed the title to 2022 Comp Poll (Updated 2022-09-27)
11 hours ago, ATLien12x said:

Good to see Colquitt finally get some love. Now 21st nationally in the composite. How my 9 point loser aka Bergen Catholic stayed so high despite losing by 24 to a Don Bosco team that hasn’t been good this season is a little puzzling

I notice that bogus poll wasn't in the high school football daily Comp today. xD 

Idk who said something so it was taken out, but, glad someone did. Holcomb trying to maintain credibility isn't a bad move on his part.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Thoughts?   Stumbled upon this doing some HSFB Twitter viewing. 

I've been thinking about this general problem for quite a while now when generating my comp polls. With the internet, anyone can create a poll or ranking that is capable of reaching as many people (or more) than the polls and rankings distributed via magazines and newspapers in the ancient days. On the other hand, you can also have polls and rankings made by anyone with an internet connection that reach hardly anyone. If you're bar is set too low, you run the risk of having hundreds of "official" polls (with very little reach) which can possibly (probably) dilute the importance of more legitimate polls. If your bar is set too high, you run the risk of gatekeeping newer "valid" polls that have actual reach. For now, my criteria is that a poll or ranking needs to have the following properties:

• Must consider every team for inclusion (i.e., no Catholic school only poll, no private school only poll, no public school only poll, no "small school" only poll, etc.)
  • Be generated by legitimate computer algorithm (e.g., CalPreps, Massey, etc. - HSFA currently on probation) OR
  • Be associated with (or formerly associated with) a major media outlet or syndication (e.g., USAToday, SBLive, PrepNation etc.) OR
  • Have wide reach and established pedigree in the HSFB world (MaxPreps, etc.)

Look at something like Blue Star Media. They have been doing HSF rankings since 2012, but as a media source they aren't that well known. Their pedigree comes from Chris Lawlor who was formerly involved with the USAToday Super 25. If I was going to add any poll to my compilation, I'd probably start with them given those credentials (compared to a poll put out by a website - stadiumtalk.com - which I have not ever heard of until literally 5 minutes ago).

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

I've been thinking about this general problem for quite a while now when generating my comp polls. With the internet, anyone can create a poll or ranking that is capable of reaching as many people (or more) than the polls and rankings distributed via magazines and newspapers in the ancient days. On the other hand, you can also have polls and rankings made by anyone with an internet connection that reach hardly anyone. If you're bar is set too low, you run the risk of having hundreds of "official" polls (with very little reach) which can possibly (probably) dilute the importance of more legitimate polls. If your bar is set too high, you run the risk of gatekeeping newer "valid" polls that have actual reach. For now, my criteria is that a poll or ranking needs to have the following properties:

• Must consider every team for inclusion (i.e., no Catholic school only poll, no private school only poll, no public school only poll, no "small school" only poll, etc.)
  • Be generated by legitimate computer algorithm (e.g., CalPreps, Massey, etc. - HSFA currently on probation) OR
  • Be associated with (or formerly associated with) a major media outlet or syndication (e.g., USAToday, SBLive, PrepNation etc.) OR
  • Have wide reach and established pedigree in the HSFB world (MaxPreps, etc.)

Look at something like Blue Star Media. They have been doing HSF rankings since 2012, but as a media source they aren't that well known. Their pedigree comes from Chris Lawlor who was formerly involved with the USAToday Super 25. If I was going to add any poll to my compilation, I'd probably start with them given those credentials (compared to a poll put out by a website - stadiumtalk.com - which I have not ever heard of until literally 5 minutes ago).

Blue Star Media I’ll have a look at.  By name alone, doesn’t ring a bell.  Yea stadiumtalk I also just learned about this am… shared a few articles about Poly and OH TD leaders.  

There’s a poll that had one good season, well almost, as towards the end less contributed.   Our forum poll contribution did succeed and would again… state, region, country, total votes.   

7 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I notice that bogus poll wasn't in the high school football daily Comp today. xD 

Idk who said something so it was taken out, but, glad someone did. Holcomb trying to maintain credibility isn't a bad move on his part.

It's in there. No credibility for Holcomb

https://highschoolfootballamerica.com/mid-season-compilation-of-national-high-school-football-rankings/

28 minutes ago, OldTerrapin said:

Thats Jeff Fisher. We all know hes a GSB nut guzzler already. 

The HSFB Daily is a Georgia newsletter penned by Todd Holcomb the sports writer for the AJC. Its a decent read that newsletter. You have to sign up to receive it. 

• dntn31 changed the title to 2022 Comp Poll (Updated 2022-10-04)
  • dntn31 changed the title to 2022 Comp Poll (Updated 2022-10-11)
  • dntn31 changed the title to Introducing TheCompPoll.com (Final Rankings Released 2022-12-20)
  • dntn31 unpinned this topic