Introducing TheCompPoll.com (Final Rankings Released 2022-12-20)

dntn31

On 9/28/2022 at 10:56 AM, dntn31 said:

I've been thinking about this general problem for quite a while now when generating my comp polls. With the internet, anyone can create a poll or ranking that is capable of reaching as many people (or more) than the polls and rankings distributed via magazines and newspapers in the ancient days. On the other hand, you can also have polls and rankings made by anyone with an internet connection that reach hardly anyone. If you're bar is set too low, you run the risk of having hundreds of "official" polls (with very little reach) which can possibly (probably) dilute the importance of more legitimate polls. If your bar is set too high, you run the risk of gatekeeping newer "valid" polls that have actual reach. For now, my criteria is that a poll or ranking needs to have the following properties:

• Must consider every team for inclusion (i.e., no Catholic school only poll, no private school only poll, no public school only poll, no "small school" only poll, etc.)
  • Be generated by legitimate computer algorithm (e.g., CalPreps, Massey, etc. - HSFA currently on probation) OR
  • Be associated with (or formerly associated with) a major media outlet or syndication (e.g., USAToday, SBLive, PrepNation etc.) OR
  • Have wide reach and established pedigree in the HSFB world (MaxPreps, etc.)

Look at something like Blue Star Media. They have been doing HSF rankings since 2012, but as a media source they aren't that well known. Their pedigree comes from Chris Lawlor who was formerly involved with the USAToday Super 25. If I was going to add any poll to my compilation, I'd probably start with them given those credentials (compared to a poll put out by a website - stadiumtalk.com - which I have not ever heard of until literally 5 minutes ago). ↳

It seems like you're going for simplicity on your page, which I like, but you might include a link to these criteria somewhere.

That was my first question when I pulled it up - "Why these polls?"

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

• dntn31 changed the title to Introducing TheCompPoll.com (Updated 2022-12-13)
5 hours ago, BB bos said:

SBlive(Sports Illustrated) has a top 25 that could/should be included.

It is/will be. They stopped releasing weekly rankings back in November. USA Today should release their rankings in about an hour. Once they do, I will update the site and that will include SBLive's final rankings that they released yesterday.

• dntn31 changed the title to Introducing TheCompPoll.com (Final Rankings Released 2022-12-20)

Interesting how USAT put BG at #2 over MD…. Do they realize that MD beat Both BG and SJB this year?…. 🤣

Great example of why these polls are nonsense… MD has better wins then any team in the country and only lost to SJB by 2 points….

MD has a better claim to the MNC then any other team….

8 minutes ago, Omaha Vol said:

I don’t see the No Nonsense poll in there. What the hell is going on around here?! 😎

Remember the old days when "polls" were actually compiled by "polling" a bunch of sportswriters from around the country? Well, maybe we should create a PrepGridiron poll. You and @whiteshoescan be the first two contributors and we can add more willing, qualifed participants. The output would sure to be better than any other "polls" floating around on message boards these days...

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

That list include Shyster Joe's fake poll.

So another shot to the credibility of MaxPreps.

Dude literally crashed their signing day dressed in their colors to give his fake trophy. Trying to play it off as something big.    Takes this picture. lol never seen anyone so desperate to try and belong as this dude.. 

Even they don't wanna take a pic with that fake ass trophy lol

Where the "whole student body and band" to receive this great award? lmao

IMG_2995.jpg

• Haha 2

"Discussing with them tomorrow at their 2022 National Chip Ceremony/Assembly at 10am!! "-GardenStateBaller

Only it's their signing day ceremony so yeah whatever

haha

"Just booked my roundtrip flight to Miami. On Wednesday morning at the school MC will officially be crowned our National Champions. The entire student body including the band will be present for the exciting festivities. The MC administration will be awarded this awesome trophy, as well as a check for $5,000. In the scheme of things they are all that matters!! #playthebest #anyoneanywhere #nocowardsallowed"- GardenStateBaller

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, golfaddict1 said:

Need NASA help for a closeup of that trophy.  :) 

lol.. yeah doesn't look as big as it did in the other tweets..Coach looks thrilled.. Coach be like the shit I got to go through to get a 5000 check.. get this clown off the stage and let's get on with the important shit like kids signing LOI's

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, OldTerrapin said:

lol.. yeah doesn't look as big as I did in the other tweets..Coach looks thrilled.. Coach be like the shit I got to go through to get a 5000 check.. get this clown off the stage and let's get on with the important shit like kids signing LOI's

MC QB signed with FIU I saw.  Thought he was Auburn bound, but something got him back to a local school, perhaps it was Auburn.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldTerrapin said:

Dude literally crashed their signing day dressed in their colors to give his fake trophy. Trying to play it off as something big.    Takes this picture. lol never seen anyone so desperate to try and belong as this dude.. 

IMG_2995.jpg

Dang he is hella short and pudgy. 

• Haha 1

Man you guys are ruthless. Lol. He has done plenty good for the game and has helped broker countless games that everyone has enjoyed. You don’t have to like his style or his personality but you can’t say he hasn’t done a lot of good for the game. Some people take things too personal. Too emotionally invested. Just let buddy do his thing. 😂

1 hour ago, OldTerrapin said:

IMG_2995.jpg

They look miserable!!

• Haha 3

• dntn31 unpinned this topic