Georgia transfers explained......sort of.

Wildcat Will

Many are perplexed by the transfer situation in hsfb. There is much confusion as to the rules. The concept that exist is simple enough to understand in the state of Georgia. It is in no way a violation of the rule. 

In Georgia, the rules are clear. One must make a bonafide,verifiable move. The GHSA will, at times, rule on hardship, given the severity of the student/athletes situation. This happens often without any publicity so none of us know, yet we question. 

The main reason for the thread is to point out this, many systems are open enrollment. Open enrollment affords a student the opportunity to attend school outside his or her home school. This is possible if the desired school has space and they are able to provide their own transportation. 

It happens in the metro Atlanta area so often, those outside the loop and without knowledge of the simplest explanation, can not fathom this as relative fact. 

I know this will draw criticism, with a range of differing opinions but the truth is sometimes so simple, it is hard to take.

Thanks for your support.

The Kid's

2 hours ago, Fred said:

Define many.

It is actually required and should be available in ALL systems in Georgia.

Open Enrollment Policies 2022

State Profile - Georgia

March 2022

50-State Comparisons on each data point are here.

Download PDF

OPEN ENROLLMENT POLICIES 2022

Does the state permit intradistrict open enrollment?

Yes.

Citation for intradistrict open enrollment

Ga. Code Ann. § 20-2-2130

Ga. Code Ann. § 20-2-2131

Is intradistrict open enrollment mandatory or voluntary?

Mandatory. School districts must develop policies, including application deadlines, to allow students to transfer within the district. Students are permitted to transfer if space is available at the receiving school. Districts must notify parents annually about this option. Parents must submit a written request to transfer.

The state board of education offers an unsafe school choice option for students attending "persistently dangerous" schools.

Citation for intradistrict mandatory or voluntary

Ga. Comp. R. & Regs. 160-5-4-.09

Ga. Comp. R. & Regs. 160-4-8-.16

Does the state permit interdistrict open enrollment?

Yes.

Citation for interdistrict open enrollment

Ga. Code Ann. § 20-2-293

Ga. Code Ann. § 20-2-294

Is interdistrict open enrollment mandatory or voluntary?

Voluntary. School districts may permit interdistrict enrollment if the sending district does not have space or if the student lives closer to a school in the receiving district. Districts may allow interdistrict transfers if the transportation time to the student's assigned school is 45 minutes longer than the receiving school and the distance to the student's assigned school is at least 15 miles further than the receiving school. Parents must submit a written request and there must be sufficient classroom space at the receiving school. Both local school boards must approve the transfer.

School districts are also allowed to enter into a transfer contract with another district.

Citation for interdistrict mandatory or voluntary

Ga. Code Ann. § 20-2-293

Ga. Code Ann. § 20-2-294

Ga. Comp. R. & Regs. 160-4-8-.16

Are open enrollment programs subject to desegregation provisions?

Yes. Open enrollment may not interfere with any desegregation plans that are or may be in effect.

Citation for desegregation provisions

Ga. Code Ann. § 20-2-294

Which student groups are prioritized in open enrollment programs?

Not specified in state policy. However, districts must admit non-resident children of district employees.

Citation for which student groups are prioritized

Ga. Code Ann. § 20-2-293

Who is responsible for student transportation?

Parents are responsible for transportation. However, school districts may contract with one another for transportation.

Citation for transportation

Ga. Code Ann. § 20-2-293

Ga. Code Ann. § 20-2-294

Does the state have specific enrollment provisions for military-connected youth?

Yes. Districts must allow for advance enrollment and unlimited intradistrict enrollment for military students. Students who attend school for more than half a school year are also permitted to stay enrolled in the school for remainder of the year in the event of a change of residence.

Citation for military-connected youth

Ga. Code Ann. § 20-2-295

Ga. Code Ann. § 20-2-150

Ga. Code Ann. § 20-2-296

Does the state have specific enrollment provisions for students in foster care?

Not specified in state policy. However, students who attend school for more than half a school year are also permitted to stay enrolled in the school remainder of the year in the event of a change of residence.

Citation for students in foster care

Ga. Code Ann. § 20-2-296

• Wildcat Will changed the title to Georgia transfers explained......sort of.

The problem they coaches high school and youth actively recruiting players to go to certain schools and the boosters footing the moving bills. Local businesses and even the schools creating jobs for the parents. 

Seen one school this summer had coaches go on college campus visits with a player that wasn't on their team and the player ended up transferring to then right before the season started. Supposed to be against the rules under their influence rule but ehh ghsa ignored it. 

49 minutes ago, Ga96 said:

The problem they coaches high school and youth actively recruiting players to go to certain schools and the boosters footing the moving bills. Local businesses and even the schools creating jobs for the parents. 

Seen one school this summer had coaches go on college campus visits with a player that wasn't on their team and the player ended up transferring to then right before the season started. Supposed to be against the rules under their influence rule but ehh ghsa ignored it. 

Not always the case. There are a multitude of reasons kids transfer. Number one among them is a desire to play with their friends. 

Don't be naive. 

Being from south Georgia, you need to understand the numbers. The number of kids in Lowndes county 10,500,  is a fraction of the kids in school,say in Gwinnett, who has over 100,000 students. Schools are 7-9 miles apart. It is easy to attend any school.

Read above post.

9 hours ago, Iletteredintrack said:

What does open enrollment have to do with transfers being eligible? Just because a school accepts a student that student isn’t automatically eligible for GHSA events. They still have to meet the eligibility requirements such as the bona fide move if the move was after 9th grade. 

9 hours ago, Iletteredintrack said:

What does open enrollment have to do with transfers being eligible? Just because a school accepts a student that student isn’t automatically eligible for GHSA events. They still have to meet the eligibility requirements such as the bona fide move if the move was after 9th grade. 

10 hours ago, Iletteredintrack said:

I did not make the rule.

It says what it says.

8 hours ago, Wildcat Will said:

I did not make the rule.

It says what it says.

You didn’t answer my question. You made this long post explaining open enrollment but that has zero to do with eligibility with the GHSA. For the most part even schools that don’t specifically say they have open enrollment will accept students from out of district as long as there is room. 

On 9/4/2022 at 7:13 PM, Ga96 said:

Didn't you say you graduated from Lowndes?  Are you proud of that?

10 hours ago, FreeBird said:

Y’all make fun of metro but y’all South Georgia paying kids water and electric bills so the kid plays for your team, orcastraing fake divorces, having kids on school pAyroll making more then the sub teachers 

Orcastraing? That is a new one. Not gonna lie the first time I read it I thought of castrating orcas.

• Haha 4

20 hours ago, Fred said:

Didn't you say you graduated from Lowndes?  Are you proud of that?

I only care for the Lowndes kids. What does that random question have to do with teams cheating? If you are the fred i think you are you know first hand because you actively recruit players to come to grayson. 

6 hours ago, Ga96 said:

I only care for the Lowndes kids. What does that random question have to do with teams cheating? If you are the fred i think you are you know first hand because you actively recruit players to come to grayson. 

The point went flapping over your head.  The spelling and grammar in the post I quote are abysmal even for a football board.  If that's the best example of a Lowndes education, I would hang my head in shame.

Once again you don't know what you think you do about us or me.  I can't speak for others but I have never spoken to another school's player other than to congratulate them or their parents on a game well played.  I am very, very careful to make sure I don't because I could be considered a booster.  You, on the other hand, seem to be actively involved with an activity that has severe conflicts of interest.  Hard to take your accusations of impropriety seriously.