Ohio Week 6 Discussion

OdbCle

My power poll after week 5:

1. Moeller - Not surprised by a closer than expected game against rival St. Xavier. Despite the abortion that was the St. X defense on national TV against Loyola, they aren't that bad. 

2. Lakota West - Very impressive performance against what was supposed to be a high-octane Princeton team. Not only did they holm them to 7, but the offense looks to be on the rise as well. Good enough to jump Springfield this week for me. 

3. Springfield - Stomped Beavercreek as they should have. Next 3 weeks against Fairmont, Springboro and Centerville will be good tests. 

4. Archbishop Hoban - Handled Ignatius as Mr. Football candidate Lamar Sperling put up 232 on the ground with 3 TD's. 4th could be too low for this Hoban team. 

5. Massillon - Had to give the Tigers a big bump after continuously coming back against Ed's. Sure, Ed's did all they could to give Massillon life throughout this game, but have to credit the Tigers for making them pay for it. They have a great RB/WR combo in Willtrell Hartson and Ardell Banks, and this Slaughter kid at QB seems to bring his best stuff when playing Ed's. They can't get too high on this victory because Austintown-Fitch comes in at 5-0 and will be looking at this as their statement game. 

6. St. Edward - They have come out on the positive side of the win/loss column the past few weeks despite not playing anywhere near the level they were ranked, but another week of error-prone football was too tall a task. 4 missed FG's, missing wide open receivers for would-be TD's, fumbling away the ball with a chance to put the game on ice.  Can't beat good teams playing this way. We'll see if Lombardo can use this game as a turning point in the season and get this team to its full potential. 

7. Winton Woods - The Warriors may very be be the class of D2 and a top 3-5 team in the state this year, but we won't really know until the post-season. 

8. Elder - Panthers get a bump this week with a nice win over defending Kentucky champs Louisville St. X.   

9. TCC - Holding steady in top 10 with another easy win. 

10. Fairfield - Chance to move up this week as they take on a Princeton team looking to rebound. 

Others (no order): St. Ignatius, Centerville, Princeton, Gahanna-Lincoln, St. X, Glenville, Cleveland Heights, Austintown-Fitch, Wayne, Pick Central, Pick North, Avon, Medina, Painesville Riverside, Dublin Jerome 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, OdbCle said:

My power poll after week 5:

1. Moeller - Not surprised by a closer than expected game against rival St. Xavier. Despite the abortion that was the St. X defense on national TV against Loyola, they aren't that bad. 

2. Lakota West - Very impressive performance against what was supposed to be a high-octane Princeton team. Not only did they holm them to 7, but the offense looks to be on the rise as well. Good enough to jump Springfield this week for me. 

3. Springfield - Stomped Beavercreek as they should have. Next 3 weeks against Fairmont, Springboro and Centerville will be good tests. 

4. Archbishop Hoban - Handled Ignatius as Mr. Football candidate Lamar Sperling put up 232 on the ground with 3 TD's. 4th could be too low for this Hoban team. 

5. Massillon - Had to give the Tigers a big bump after continuously coming back against Ed's. Sure, Ed's did all they could to give Massillon life throughout this game, but have to credit the Tigers for making them pay for it. They have a great RB/WR combo in Willtrell Hartson and Ardell Banks, and this Slaughter kid at QB seems to bring his best stuff when playing Ed's. They can't get too high on this victory because Austintown-Fitch comes in at 5-0 and will be looking at this as their statement game. 

6. St. Edward - They have come out on the positive side of the win/loss column the past few weeks despite not playing anywhere near the level they were ranked, but another week of error-prone football was too tall a task. 4 missed FG's, missing wide open receivers for would-be TD's, fumbling away the ball with a chance to put the game on ice.  Can't beat good teams playing this way. We'll see if Lombardo can use this game as a turning point in the season and get this team to its full potential. 

7. Winton Woods - The Warriors may very be be the class of D2 and a top 3-5 team in the state this year, but we won't really know until the post-season. 

8. Elder - Panthers get a bump this week with a nice win over defending Kentucky champs Louisville St. X.   

9. TCC - Holding steady in top 10 with another easy win. 

10. Fairfield - Chance to move up this week as they take on a Princeton team looking to rebound. 

Others (no order): St. Ignatius, Centerville, Princeton, Gahanna-Lincoln, St. X, Glenville, Cleveland Heights, Austintown-Fitch, Wayne, Pick Central, Pick North, Avon, Medina, Painesville Riverside, Dublin Jerome 

No Kings? They could knock off Winton Woods. Do they play in the regular season? 

16 hours ago, reggid said:

Well, after a brutal schedule to start the year, at least Eds gets a pause and has a sort-of-maybe-fake-school to pound on this week, so they should be able use this as basically a scrimmage and a chance to clean up the offense and score about 200 points.

Looking at their results so far they were unable to score against either Dillard or DeMatha Catholic in their first two games, but "only" gave up 35 and 26 respectively. They've won their last two against St. Marky's Ryken (MD) and Erasmus Hall (NY). The St. Edward offense isn't exactly a scoring machine, so I wouldn't necessarily say this a game where they can name their score. 

Is it just me, or has the quality of football in Ohio taken a serious dive over the past 5-7 years?

I watch some of these "top" teams and think to myself that they wouldn't have stood a chance 10 years ago against some of the teams that rolled through this state.  It's sad to see, no doubt.

What's the reason?  Or am I off completely?

-93CardinalsFan

2 hours ago, 93CardinalsFan said:

Is it just me, or has the quality of football in Ohio taken a serious dive over the past 5-7 years?

I watch some of these "top" teams and think to myself that they wouldn't have stood a chance 10 years ago against some of the teams that rolled through this state.  It's sad to see, no doubt.

What's the reason?  Or am I off completely?

-93CardinalsFan

It’s just you.

On 9/22/2022 at 3:03 AM, reggid said:

It’s just you.

Hmmm....I think you are wrong.  And I wish you weren't.

Participation is down.

Attendance is down...significantly.

Number of officials is down...significantly

Number of Freshman teams are down.

Number and consistency of nationally ranked teams is down...considerably.

The best of Ohio High School football is, unfortunately, behind us.  There are still many good teams and the games are still fun to go to, but to suggest that either the top teams or the depth of teams is the same quality of just 5-7 years ago is just not true.

Would love for you to tell me what I am missing.

-93CardinalsFan

1 hour ago, 93CardinalsFan said:

Participation is down.

The best of Ohio High School football is, unfortunately, behind us.  There are still many good teams and the games are still fun to go to, but to suggest that either the top teams or the depth of teams is the same quality of just 5-7 years ago is just not true.

-93CardinalsFan

The numbers are down for every state. That is just the way the country is going. Depth is still the same as it has always been. The names are beginning to change.

10 hours ago, 93CardinalsFan said:

Participation is down.

-93CardinalsFan

You’re missing yelling at the kids on your lawn.