2014 flashback… Josh Bickham & Nathan Cottrell

golfaddict1

Red and I had an interesting exchange in 2014.  He shared a Covington LA athlete’s article, mentioning his powerlifting exploits and that he was a football player, rb as I recall.  He had a 247 profile but no offers.   Was an interesting athlete to follow and years later I decided to.   Looks like he signed with D2 Shaw University for football, but have no details on stats or if he played at all.  I think I noticed a La location with his name with a business title.  So he’s in the real world now likely.  Didn’t see any powerlifting mentions past HS.  

Cottrell I watched on CSS (TN HS) and needless to say, I’m a fan of speed and acceleration in athletics… and my wow factor was tingling.  He had a 247 profile and a few FCS offers.  

Then came Summer 40 yd FBS camps and immediate FBS offers.  The coaching staffs made him run multiple 40’s in disbelief that this thin white kid is bringing it.   He signed with GA Tech and while not choice A, he got the rock often.   Then came an NFL combine, which allowed him to once again rip a 40.  He was practice squaded and eventually made an NFL roster with some kick off returns.  He’s out of the game now I think, didn’t research past NFL period, 2 seasons.  

@954gatorlol.  I had confusion on the 0 star.  Yes, he’s had a good career 😊

87EC9129-BEA4-4E8D-896B-88B494F7178E.png

• Like 1

@Atticus Finchflashback 2012

Corn Elder in HS. :)  CSS channel also?  Maybe ESPN affiliate.  He was discussed on the Rivals board.  TN baller like Cottrell.  

You mentioned the other day about Cord Sandberg.  You correctly saw his potential in football.  

James Wilder jr was discussed as was Derrick Henry. Some good discussions back in the day.  So many lost archive of HS posts of kids now in the pros, some not in the pros.  

@steeler01remembers all this and more.  Any other names come to mind that we discussed back in the day at the HS level?  @DownSouth? Brethren? 

Jabril Peppers was another often mentioned HS player thru Michigan… “0 int’s!”
NFL :).  

22 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Corn Elder in HS. :)  CSS channel also?  Maybe ESPN affiliate.  He was discussed on the Rivals board.  TN baller like Cottrell.  

The comic book writer went after me because I said that Corn Elder would never play a snap at RB while at Miami. He then tried to use his play as a CB against me.

The guy was an idiot.

1 hour ago, golfaddict1 said:

You mentioned the other day about Core Sandberg.  You correctly saw his potential in football.  

James Wilder jr was discussed as was Derrick Henry. Some good discussions back in the day.  So many lost archive of HS posts of kids now in the pros, some not in the pros.  

@steeler01remembers all this and more.  Any other names come to mind that we discussed back in the day at the HS level?  @DownSouth? Brethren? 

Jabril Peppers was another often mentioned HS player thru Michigan… “0 int’s!”
NFL :).  

I remember I was talking to steeler once about that playoff game between Deerfield Beach and MNW some years ago, the one where DFB nearly beat MNW in the final moment (think it was a 19-14 final).

I was mentioning that DFB was very good at the time (used to be a decent threat to STA back then) but was always missing a piece or two that kept them from being on the same level as the most elite teams in the country, but that particular year they had a guy that was going to end up in the NFL at some point.

That guy is Denard “Shoelace” Robinson, spent 4 years with the Jags.

I recall a handful of board convos about playoff games involving Dwyer during years they had Jacoby Brisset (Browns) and Nick O’ Leary (former Dolphin) and Matt Elam (former Ravens 1st Rd pick) too.

• Like 3

Brandon Harris was the main guy when BTW played Cedar Hill in Texas a while back.

Knew he’d make it to the NFL and said as much back then; was a bit surprised he only lasted for 4 years (3 with the Texans and 1 with the Titans) but you could always tell he’d get there.

Geno Smith (Seahawks) was definitely talked about on the Rivals board at the time, because that Miramar team (Stedman Bailey made the NFL too - 3 years with the STL Rams) got their assets handed to them by STA one year (was it 49-2 final score?) in what was supposed to be a solid national game.

- And pretty sure AJ Green was on that Summerville, SC team that Booker T. Beat I guess about a decade ago, he would’ve been that teams main guy and would’ve come up in discussions.

- Marcus Lattimore for sure was heavily talked about back when Pahokee played Byrnes, in South Carolina.

- Kelvin Benjamin from Glades Central for sure came up a few times, pretty sure he was on the roster for a couple of their OOS games (maybe on that team that beat Dallas Skyline?)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DownSouth said:

I remember I was talking to steeler once about that playoff game between Deerfield Beach and MNW some years ago, the one where DFB nearly beat MNW in the final moment (think it was a 19-14 final).

I was mentioning that DFB was very good at the time (used to be a decent threat to STA back then) but was always missing a piece or two that kept them from being on the same level as the most elite teams in the country, but that particular year they had a guy that was going to end up in the NFL at some point.

I recall a handful of board convos about playoff games involving Dwyer during years they had Jacoby Brisset (Browns) and Nick O’ Leary (former Dolphin) and Matt Elam (former Ravens 1st Rd pick) too.

Art Taylor was the HC at DFB at that time (Cooper City HC 2011).  Shoelace was 2-1 vs STA.  As a senior, STA had enough and pounded them after two close losses.   The first of the 3 games might be the only loss STA ever had to a team rated over 1000 by CalPreps.  

8376D2B2-662C-482A-BC67-2FB445E5939D.jpeg

13 hours ago, DownSouth said:

Brandon Harris was the main guy when BTW played Cedar Hill in Texas a while back.

Knew he’d make it to the NFL and said as much back then; was a bit surprised he only lasted for 4 years (3 with the Texans and 1 with the Titans) but you could always tell he’d get there.

Geno Smith (Seahawks) was definitely talked about on the Rivals board at the time, because that Miramar team (Stedman Bailey made the NFL too - 3 years with the STL Rams) got their assets handed to them by STA one year (was it 49-2 final score?) in what was supposed to be a solid national game.

- And pretty sure AJ Green was on that Summerville, SC team that Booker T. Beat I guess about a decade ago, he would’ve been that teams main guy and would’ve come up in discussions.

- Marcus Lattimore for sure was heavily talked about back when Pahokee played Byrnes, in South Carolina.

- Kelvin Benjamin from Glades Central for sure came up a few times, pretty sure he was on the roster for a couple of their OOS games (maybe on that team that beat Dallas Skyline?)

Nice list.  Shame about Lattimore and the knee.  

Reminds me a little bit of Marcus Dupree, who got to fulfill his dream with the Rams after his intense rehabbing, but still a shame as a what if kind of career like Lattimore.  

14 hours ago, DownSouth said:

Benjamin's portrayal in the "Muck City" book was always equal parts hysterical and concerning as 1) it was pretty evident that the author had next to no knowledge of what constitutes being a D1 prospect; and 2) said author seemed to be rooting for Benjamin to be the Boobie Miles of the book.

14 hours ago, DownSouth said:

He was and that game was terrible.

6-0.

The Benjamin who ate his way out of the league was the Benjamin that played at Glades Central. 

Aloof. Uninterested.

12 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

He was and that game was terrible.

6-0.

The Benjamin who ate his way out of the league was the Benjamin that played at Glades Central. 

Aloof. Uninterested.

That score reminds me of the game yea.  

Miss that Rivals board.  Lot of good posters.  OU112 or close to that was a good read from FL and he had a national take also like us.  

15 hours ago, DownSouth said:

That 2007 DFB team did beat state champ STA that year.   They had some weird loss early on that made them look less than they were.

As I corrected the spelling of Cord above in a post, I thought once again of the infamous Manatee/Kinnan/Sandberg shovel pass.   Cord’s shovel pass yardage was probably near 1/3 or more of his passing yardage total, maybe half 😂.  It was effective, but not vs STA.  The 2010 game was like DBP STA 2014 in dominance.  Loved that home game performance.  George Smith retired in style (beating Plant sharply in state final).  

The 2012 win was icing on the cake.  I was shocked they won.  IrishJay told me they would win.  He was right.