Early College Game Recaps : Georgia and Michigan struggle at home

reggid

6 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

I think it’s all interesting. Ohio state scored 21 at home on the Notre dame D but Marshall scored 26 on the road against the same ND defense the very next week. Is the Marshall offense better than osu’s? Of course not. We’re celebrating Ohio st dropping 52 at home on a team that lost to Washington state at home?  & are impressed with them putting 70 on Toledo?  Bama’s top 2 receiving options were out with injury in the national championship game and we give them no slack (no problem), but we are supposed to credit Ohio st for managing against a bad ND team without their top receiver? Got it. Lol. Week by week, game by game stuff. If Alabama is at Georgia today the tide wins. Based on TODAYS performances. That’s not how it works. Alabama beat a shitty Vanderbilt team. Ohio state beat a shitty Wisconsin team. Georgia struggled against a shitty Kent st team. Will any of this matter when those three have to play each other? Of course not. 

Ohio State in week one went up against a ND team that had spent several months doing nothing but prepare to face tOSU. And it was week one.

Over the last five years Wisco has the best defensive stats in the P5. They were giving up less than 15 PPG.  The 52 points you mock were the most given up by the Badgers since the Buckeyes dropped 59 on them in December of 2014. It was over 3x what Wazzu scored.

Putting 77 on Toledo IS impressive. It's been over a decade since a team came within two TDs of doing that.

Right now I'd probably put the three teams at tOSU & Georgia tied for best and Bama a bit behind with a substantial drop-off to get to the rest of the field.

1 hour ago, ECHS05 said:

I love everyone analyzing UGAs 39-22 win over Kent St. like its going to mean anything at all in the big picture.

My inside source said this was done on purpose to deflate some egos. I believe mission accomplished.

Sometimes teams dont play well. That happened today with quite a few teams.

Yes, but the difference is that when other teams outside the ESS-UH-SEE struggle against trash teams, especially at home, they get punished for it in the polls. But the ESS-UH-SEE teams get rewarded.  

10 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

No arguments. Did you see Clemson today? I see big holes in that defense. Stroud or Young do big time damage against Clemson. I don’t think SC jumps Clemson but can’t say I’d be shocked if it happens. Regardless, I agree that there are 3 teams, and then everybody else. Playoff will be good. 

It will be hard for anyone to slow down Wake Forest's offense. Clemson had the best win of the day out of the top 10 teams. USC's was a close second imo.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, reggid said:

Michigan needs a late TD to hold on ar home against unranked Maryland, even with friendly refs all day.  First halfway decent team UM has played, and McCarthy was back to looking mediocre.  Have they been exposed?

Meanwhile, Georgia struggles at home against a bottom-feeding team from the MAC.  Led by just 10 in the 4th Q against Kent State.  Kind of embarrassing. Should GA fall a few spots after this awful performance against a really bad team from the MAC?   You can bet they would if they were in any other conference.

It's easy for a ranked team to have a let up at the same time an unranked team is pumped to play a ranked team. As long as they win, the rest does not matter. 

9 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

I think it’s all interesting. Ohio state scored 21 at home on the Notre dame D but Marshall scored 26 on the road against the same ND defense the very next week. Is the Marshall offense better than osu’s? Of course not. We’re celebrating Ohio st dropping 52 at home on a team that lost to Washington state at home?  & are impressed with them putting 70 on Toledo?  Bama’s top 2 receiving options were out with injury in the national championship game and we give them no slack (no problem), but we are supposed to credit Ohio st for managing against a bad ND team without their top receiver? Got it. Lol. Week by week, game by game stuff. If Alabama is at Georgia today the tide wins. Based on TODAYS performances. That’s not how it works. Alabama beat a shitty Vanderbilt team. Ohio state beat a shitty Wisconsin team. Georgia struggled against a shitty Kent st team. Will any of this matter when those three have to play each other? Of course not. 

Marshall scored 19 on the ND defense. ND's defense is solid. Marshall got a pick 6 on top of two other picks that set them up nice. Put it like this, USC is fortunate that they get ND in November instead of October because ND is better than them on both sides of the line. ND's interior line issues have been fixed. North Caroline was just what the doctor ordered.

2 hours ago, concha said:

Ohio State in week one went up against a ND team that had spent several months doing nothing but prepare to face tOSU. And it was week one.

Over the last five years Wisco has the best defensive stats in the P5. They were giving up less than 15 PPG.  The 52 points you mock were the most given up by the Badgers since the Buckeyes dropped 59 on them in December of 2014. It was over 3x what Wazzu scored.

Putting 77 on Toledo IS impressive. It's been over a decade since a team came within two TDs of doing that.

Right now I'd probably put the three teams at tOSU & Georgia tied for best and Bama a bit behind with a substantial drop-off to get to the rest of the field.

False. Michigan has looked good, as has Washington, Ole Miss, and Minnesota.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NYHSFAN33 said:

I suppose it worked out since they converted, but at the time without the benefit of hindsight I did not understand the decision either.  Don’t get the 2 and the game is over. My thinking is always to extend the game but what do I know.

A lot :)  

Some guys just the name shown I want to view the post… you are one of them and for the right reason.  😂 

21 hours ago, GoBigBlack said:

We encountered the same scenario once against Loyola. Coach decided to go for two and we missed with under two minutes left no timeouts (IIRC). Regardless, we needed two more offensive possessions to win at that point. Dumb as &$*%.

I was hoping the conversion failed, so perhaps the HC could answer why he chose to possibly onside kick down 9 vs 8.  Maybe someone asked him anyway?

24 hour rule later, it still makes absolutely no sense to me.   

12 hours ago, GoBigBlack said:

I haven’t let it go after 20 years. I want an answer, damnit.

2016 STA vs BG.  Chip shot FG for the win.  Nope, an illegal move by a defender jumping the line and literally kicking the long snapper karate style.  No flag.  Kick was blocked by him and the ball hit the crossbar!  
Ultimate WTF moment.  
Lost in OT.  * for that game til my last breath 😂 

• Haha 1

On 9/25/2022 at 10:36 AM, ECHS05 said:

I love everyone analyzing UGAs 39-22 win over Kent St. like its going to mean anything at all in the big picture.

Sometimes teams dont play well. That happened today with quite a few teams.

Tell that to all of these high school gurus who think every team ranked should blow out every team they face. Some teams just simply have off weeks or rivalry games come into play. 

19 hours ago, Omaha Vol said:

Tell that to all of these high school gurus who think every team ranked should blow out every team they face. Some teams just simply have off weeks or rivalry games come into play. 

CFB is based on 69 Power 5 schools (65 in conferences) and 131 FBS schools.   There’s a lot of connect the dots throughout the season.  

Not so much in HSFB doing a national poll.  Dissection needs to be more peel the onion style in HSFB imo.  One bad week should be punished and if it’s an OOS game that was the bad one…  you’re left with hyper improvement theory or the reality that the game was played and you have to use the result, week 0,1,2 or 10.  

And don’t let the playoffs season subtract much of the season’s resume.  Plenty of teams that lose earlier are better than teams in a final or holding a trophy.  Some teams get hot at the right time sure, but many others have a dream drawing of a playoff run with no beef.  

It’s an impossible task, but IMO the best way to do it is a team effort…  state voting reps, region voting reps and country voting reps.  Tally it up.  

On 9/25/2022 at 12:06 PM, golfaddict1 said:

I was hoping the conversion failed, so perhaps the HC could answer why he chose to possibly onside kick down 9 vs 8.  Maybe someone asked him anyway?

24 hour rule later, it still makes absolutely no sense to me.   

It’s happening again. Down 23, UW just scored on UCLA and missed the 2pt conversion to now be down 17. There’s still plenty of time with 5 minutes left in the 3rd and I’m sure the “card” says to go for two, I just find it strange. 

The math (assuming that was the reason) doesn’t account for the moral defeat that comes with not only getting stuffed on a 2pt conversion, but knowing you have to score at least three more times instead of two. I’m convinced this is an exception 100% of the time 🤣

But UCLA just scored again in what must have been four plays, so… 

9 hours ago, GoBigBlack said:

It’s happening again. Down 23, UW just scored on UCLA and missed the 2pt conversion to now be down 17. There’s still plenty of time with 5 minutes left in the 3rd and I’m sure the “card” says to go for two, I just find it strange. 

The math (assuming that was the reason) doesn’t account for the moral defeat that comes with not only getting stuffed on a 2pt conversion, but knowing you have to score at least three more times instead of two. I’m convinced this is an exception 100% of the time 🤣

But UCLA just scored again in what must have been four plays, so… 

Wow, it got interesting late!   In this scenario, I’d expect a PAT for the reason you gave (2 score game differential). 

https://www.si.com/college/ucla/football/ucla-football-clings-on-for-high-scoring-upset-win-over-washington

They got better on the 2 pt with practice :).  @15yds4gibberish @PopsNW

@GoBigBlackHarbaugh why?  9 min and change drive and you go for it?  WTF were you thinking?   20-20 game.  Turnover on downs.  Team deflation.  Enter Allen.  One play on the winning drive, Allen had patience to see a receiver route through on the sideline with a perfect touch pass.  
Sweet W @Wooderson I hope that was a national game in Zona.   
Easy Allen touch following the center for the first down conversion made me nervous.  Don’t score!  :) 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

@GoBigBlackHarbaugh why?  9 min and change drive and you go for it?  WTF were you thinking?   20-20 game.  Turnover on downs.  Team deflation.  Enter Allen.  One play on the winning drive, Allen had patience to see a receiver route through on the sideline with a perfect touch pass.  
Sweet W @Wooderson I hope that was a national game in Zona.   
Easy Allen touch following the center for the first down conversion made me nervous.  Don’t score!  :) 

It was the national game, but I was prepared to have the wife drop me off at the Bills bar and pick me up when I had my share of "pecan pie" cocktails 😀

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/1/2022 at 7:42 AM, golfaddict1 said:

Wow, it got interesting late!   In this scenario, I’d expect a PAT for the reason you gave (2 score game differential). 

https://www.si.com/college/ucla/football/ucla-football-clings-on-for-high-scoring-upset-win-over-washington

They got better on the 2 pt with practice :).  @15yds4gibberish @PopsNW

The only people out west that like the Bruins are Bruins; Ditto Trojans with emphasis 

@15yds4gibberish and I shared a grad school but he attended ucla prior while I got into an academic university.    

My hardcore ucla buddy turned down a bet +7 points for todays game in Autzen so I would call the collective confidence fragile — @15yds4gibberish my buddy was chairman of Athenian a few years ago — i’m guessing you know him 

13 minutes ago, PopsNW said:

The only people out west that like the Bruins are Bruins; Ditto Trojans with emphasis 

@15yds4gibberish and I shared a grad school but he attended ucla prior while I got into an academic university.    

My hardcore ucla buddy turned down a bet +7 points for todays game in Autzen so I would call the collective confidence fragile — @15yds4gibberish my buddy was chairman of Athenian a few years ago — i’m guessing you know him 

Ha!  "Academic university..." well done.  But I present you the latest Forbes rankings.  Did you attend one of the 5 above it?  😉

Of course the UCLA collective confidence is fragile...Have you followed UCLA over the years? 

Not a particularly original insight, but probably a high scoring game.  An extra stop here or there might prove the difference.  I'll be interested to see how UCLA starts out -- They haven't exactly played in front of a crowd/stadium like they'll see today.  If I have to guess, maybe something like 42 - 38 Oregon...Here's to hoping for any final score where the Bruins have more than the Ducks...

image.thumb.png.acf496b10da6621f7a787bd069fe64d8.png

1 hour ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Ha!  "Academic university..." well done.  But I present you the latest Forbes rankings.  Did you attend one of the 5 above it?  😉

Of course the UCLA collective confidence is fragile...Have you followed UCLA over the years? 

Not a particularly original insight, but probably a high scoring game.  An extra stop here or there might prove the difference.  I'll be interested to see how UCLA starts out -- They haven't exactly played in front of a crowd/stadium like they'll see today.  If I have to guess, maybe something like 42 - 38 Oregon...Here's to hoping for any final score where the Bruins have more than the Ducks...

image.thumb.png.acf496b10da6621f7a787bd069fe64d8.png

Sorry, besides having a bit of a red ass from the socal schools breaking up the band, my wife is a duck and her mood for fall weeks is very dependent on duck’s saturday performance 

At halftime, my week is looking promising (31-13)😘 — take solace from my happiness