Rollinson hanging them up after this season

Bodysurf

With firsthand knowledge, replacing a longtime coaching legend and face of the program is extremely difficult.   

My only suggestion is to make an in-house hire already coaching within the program. Someone with intimate knowledge of the inside of the football walls. 

Do not, and I repeat, do not hire an alum and former assistant coach, who hasn’t stepped foot on campus in over a decade—even if that person has had coaching success in a separate state at a fellow Catholic school football powerhouse. 

You might still find yourself in the playoffs, but at a lower division than you’re traditionally accustomed to…over a decade later and multiple staff changes after that coaching legend’s departure. 

But what the hell do I know. 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, MD87 said:

Cue the haters in 5, 4, 3, 2, …

That doesn’t matter. The infrastructure is in place and there are too many valuable pieces already on the coaching staff. No major overhaul coming. That would be a huge mistake and everyone in the community knows it. The changing of the guard will be smooth. 19 starters return to next years team, Rollo is leaving the program in great shape. He’s 73. Things will continue very similar to how they have. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

That doesn’t matter. The infrastructure is in place and there are too many valuable pieces already on the coaching staff. No major overhaul coming. That would be a huge mistake and everyone in the community knows it. The changing of the guard will be smooth. 19 starters return to next years team, Rollo is leaving the program in great shape. He’s 73. Things will continue very similar to how they have. 

Taylor Kelly or Lenny V

• Like 1

1 minute ago, badrouter said:

Very strong staff already in place. Assuming many will stay, and at least one is willing to be HC, they'll be in great shape.

They can keep it in house with Taylor Kelly or Frank McManus. I would be happy with either of them.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Eric Johnson retires also. It would make sense and perfect timing.

3 minutes ago, Bodysurf said:

They can keep it in house with Taylor Kelly or Frank McManus. I would be happy with either of them.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Eric Johnson retires also. It would make sense and perfect timing.

Yeah Johnson was with Rollinson in 1989 and through the 90s (according to my game program haha). Kelly might be headed for a job at a higher level, otherwise he'd be a great hire. Pat Dubar is said to be "Director of Player Personnel", so you'd want to keep him around.

I really got the impression the staff carried the program in recent years. So, they should be well equipped to make the transition. 

kind of a shock since he barely mentioned over a month ago, that he would return for next season:

https://news.scorebooklive.com/national/2022/10/05/mater-dei-coach-bruce-rollinson-plans-to-return-for-35th-football-season-in-2023-report

i wonder if it is still related to the drama of the hazing incident last year?