MNC Contenders

181pl

9 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

My original "pipe dream" suggestion to improve the FL system would undeniably result in an improved SOS for whatever team emerges from that hypothetical system. Why lash out so strongly against a suggestion that would have actual meaningful impact? Easier to just play the victim?

Because it's exactly that, a pipe dream, and it allows you to ignore the inherent silliness of the current setup.

I have a better idea. Why not improve the current ratings/rankings so that they don't laughably overrate teams like Orange Lutheran?

If you think that stating the truth, bluntly, is playing them victim then so be it. I think that's ridiculous and just another dodge.

4 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

I have a better idea. Why not improve the current ratings/rankings so that they don't laughably overrate teams like Orange Lutheran?

That's a great idea, what suggestions do you have for improving them? I've attempted to do something to that effect by compiling all of them into a single ranking - which I think is an objective improvement over any single ranking taken on its own.

Right, because lumping in a private school with an enrollment of 1,000 with a public school with an enrollment of 1,000 is completely fair and not arbitrary.

There's no reason to believe that a 1,000 enrollment private school would be any better than a 1,000 public school unless you just assume the worst.

Cocoa can play with any private school of that size in Florida.

1 minute ago, Atticus Finch said:

There's no reason to believe that a 1,000 enrollment private school would be any better than a 1,000 public school unless you just assume the worst.

I'm not 100% familiar with FL rules. Do private schools have the same geography-based enrollment constraints as public schools in FL? 

It seems pretty self-evident that a private school that can enroll kids from outside of a local school district would have an advantage over a public school that could not. Is that assuming the worst?

That the MaxPreps/Calpreps industrial complex is so skewed in favor of California that there's effectively no *national* championship race in football anymore.

That might be what you are arguing about and want to argue about. We all get it, you're bitter and that's what you want to focus on.

My argument is that the current FL system results in all of the top teams avoiding each other and that it would be better for FL, from an MNC perspective, if that were not true. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

This is the entire point. Apparently, a system in which the best FL teams all play each other is anathema.

No, it's just social engineering that ignores the fact that Chaminade has been the worst program in Broward County for far more seasons than it's been one of the best in the state.

If you had a class consisting of the "best" teams in the state you'd get maybe 5 or 6 willing participants. Then you'd have a bunch of lesser teams winning the other "state" championships.

It's a terrible idea that's made a mockery of the playoffs in other states.

That's a great idea, what suggestions do you have for improving them? I've attempted to do something to that effect by compiling all of them into a single ranking - which I think is an objective improvement over any single ranking taken on its own.

I'm not qualified to fix any algorithms but first we have to get Ned to stop smelling his own farts.

Then maybe he can admit fault and try to fix it.

The human aspect is harder given that groupthink is usually being done unconsciously. The fanboy media types at MaxPreps, etc. are pathetic and are beneath contempt on this issue.

This is great, we’re actually having a real discussion and people are respectfully addressing the issues. I’ve always advocated for classes based on enrollment. I do think private schools have an advantage in certain respects, but that’s a discussion for another time. I agree with Atticus, we should have six classes. this would make six classes roughly 100 teams each. 32 qualify for a five-round playoff. That’s about as good of a playoff system as you can make. You could also add a postseason bowl so the super elites could battle it out if they chose to. Like Miami central and STA or Chaminade meeting at the end of the season.

6 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

That might be what you are arguing about and want to argue about. We all get it, you're bitter and that's what you want to focus on.

That's what I *am* arguing about and you will dodge it because I'm so right that you have no reasonable retort.

7 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

My argument is that the current FL system results in all of the top teams avoiding each other and that it would be better for FL, from an MNC perspective, if that were not true. 

See?

Rinse, repeat.

8 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

By the way, Central and American Heritage will likely play each other next week in the state championship.

American Heritage beat Cardinal Gibbons last week to advance to the state semifinal.

That's 3 of the top 10ish teams in the state playing each other.

• Like 1

Just now, dntn31 said:

That's wild, do you have a source?

Even if the reverse is true, wouldn't that mean enrollment-based splits are still unfair (to privates)?

actually all public schools have geographic boundaries. We have some open enrollment for transfers and they reduced restrictions on reasons to transfer. So now you can transfer for athletic purposes with no questions asked. However you must go to a school that has space. Not all Florida schools have space. If they are near 100% enrollment they will not accept athletic transfers unless those kids move into the district.

That's what I *am* arguing about and you will dodge it because I'm so right that you have no reasonable retort.

See?

Rinse, repeat.

Right, that's what happened (and always happens).

I (or anyone) makes a point. You come in posting 50 times in a row and shift the argument to your fatalist notions of everyone in the world against STA and then accuse others of dodging the argument that you interjected . Nothing new under the sun. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

You come in posting 50 times in a row and shift the argument to your fatalist notions of everyone in the world against STA and then accuse others of dodging the argument that you interjected . Nothing new under the sun. 

How am I shifting the argument by stating my thesis and watching you avoid it? I'd rather just keep repeating is until you finally address it.

Again, there's no conspiracy and nobody is out to get STA. These are simply strawmen that you've employed so that you can continue to avoid the topic.

2 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

Your points are dodges.

You won't even say the words that calpreps/Maxpreps are hopelessly biased. You avoid it like the plague.

We had that discussion last year. You're welcome to go back and reread it. There's literally no point in revisiting it. I'd rather spare my head from the brick wall.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 181pl said:

Most of the elite Miami schools have low enrollment because they’re poorly ranked academically, so they can take whoever wants to go. Don’t get me wrong, Recruiting is still against the rules. But the kids were recruit each other.

The Miami-Dade School Board runs all of those schools so they can just say if a school is at capacity or not.

If a county wants to load up like, say, Polk then they can do that. There's nothing stopping them.

• Like 1