OT: World Cup thread

ATLien12x

23 minutes ago, RedZone said:

I've also noticed that if you sneeze on someone in soccer you get a flag or  penalty. Sneezing probably ruins the flow of the match. 😃

Meanwhile in Hockey you can do this.....AND, on ice!

You commenting on physicality is like @troll trying to explain to me the DJIA.   It’s embarrassing.  

5 hours ago, RedZone said:

That's because third world countries can even throw together a soccer team.

Easy there. Isn't Louisiana viewed by many around the US as the equivalent of a third world state throwing together football teams? 

As wosinc said, just ignore the thread if you don't like soccer. Or, make numerous goofy posts while you're bent over holding your ankles, saying, "thank you, sir, may I have another" as you continue to receive proverbial spankings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, RedZone said:

It really is embarrassing!

Touché  :) 

Even the diehards are tired of it, but the refs have advanced a bit.  They can get yellow cards for fake diving.  

My angst has always been one main official for an entire field.  Yes, he gets help, but it’s a heckuva lot of pressure on one individual.   

Hockey ice size and how many refs?  NFL? Basketball?  Baseball?   

The flag wavers aid in offsides, but I think another ref would help or two.  

It has flaws, but so do other main sports.  Couldn’t holding be called on any play in the NFL?  Refs play a major role in outcomes at times.  PI or non PI calls, etc.  Lot of basketball flops too.  Baseball has an umpire calling balls and strikes.  Rules of play have changed in major sports, like baseball.  

Add another ref for one each side and I’m good.  Keep up the yellows on dives and within this World Cup, they are using actual time of play.  I hope future tourneys and champions league matches work this way.  Too much wasted time like counting subs on and off the field as time of play.  

Bruh Portugal and Spain selling out to allow Japan and Korea advance is bush league.   Who didn't wanna see Uruguay's last ride?  Uruguay got screwed on that penalty they didn't allow either.    The last one was a dive but the one before deserved a penalty.   They have to figure out a way to make it so every group stage game matters.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 954gator said:

Bruh Portugal and Spain selling out to allow Japan and Korea advance is bush league.   Who didn't wanna see Uruguay's last ride?  Uruguay got screwed on that penalty they didn't allow either.    The last one was a dive but the one before deserved a penalty.   They have to figure out a way to make it so every group stage game matters.    

"Strategery" :)   Same deal Argentina vs Poland... they could have finished them with a 3rd goal, but they didn't care and might as well leave a one dimensional team that's easily disposable again if needed stay in the tourney.  Argentina decided correctly.  That match was brutal.  Poland barely crossed midfield with a strong possession in motion.  

23 minutes ago, 954gator said:

It's just that Uruguay and Ghana are better than Korea so it's annoying these undeserving teams are getting in.    

Is this just the way things played out or is there some type of ??? going on?

These WC seem so intense that I would think everyone would give 100%.  With exception of resting players when game is won.  I guess I don't understand the point system or groups for that matter.  

42 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

These WC seem so intense that I would think everyone would give 100%.  With exception of resting players when game is won.  I guess I don't understand the point system or groups for that matter.  

So many tie breakers including # of fouls!

oh and taking your Jersey off = yellow card on top of previously earned yellow card = red card and a man down when you still need to score another goal 😳

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 954gator said:

Don’t hate us.

9CD794C2-4CC4-453F-B18F-C0C038FFCE4D.jpeg.a59b54945c37fa12b2868182e4dde002.jpeg

1D26D24F-D2A7-46D4-BA06-DE98FB628BCC.gif.627f052ac6e8db5abba31e18c18f246f.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

24 minutes ago, I AM IRONMAN said:

And I understand the tactical strategy but Spain drives me nuts with sooooo many passes 4 ft from each other….maybe completed passes is yet another tie breaker 🤔

Possession no.  Would be a decent tiebreaker down the line though.  

Fair play points is the last attempt I believe before a lucky drawing to decide.   Total corner kicks should be used before a lucky drawing imo.  Even before fair play points imo.  

1 hour ago, World Citizen said:

Well Uruguay had a penalty given against them for this

Also a penalty awarded today for a goalie attacking a ball that was questionable.

Then a player was clearly taken down in the box and they got nothing twice.  

LMAO only thing I could find some pictures haha. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, World Citizen said:

@Blueliner The best guy to watch a game with.  

Brother, how you been?  How's TN?

What’s up, my man?! You’re too kind. I’m doing well out here in the Appalachia. Life is pretty darn good. I can’t complain at all. Watching undefeated Knoxville-West play in the 5A state game. They’re up 19-13 over Page (wherever that is 🤣). But both of these teams are really good. Lots of athletes. And the atmosphere here is fantastic. They shut down shit for Church, The Vols and HS Football. Tennessee is definitely under the radar in terms of HS football. Gonna stay up late and watch the DLS/Folsom game later. Wishing you the best, brother. Go Sparty! ….I hope they make it to the Division lll.Aaa…xyz Bowl they’re shooting for. How times have changed.  I just want them to beat Folsom!

1 minute ago, Blueliner said:

What’s up, my man?! You’re too kind. I’m doing well out here in the Appalachia. Life is pretty darn good. I can’t complain at all. Watching undefeated Knoxville-West play in the 5A state game. They’re up 19-13 over Page (wherever that is 🤣). But both of these teams are really good. Lots of athletes. And the atmosphere here is fantastic. They shut down shit for Church, The Vols and HS Football. Tennessee is definitely under the radar in terms of HS football. Gonna stay up late and watch the DLS/Folsom game later. Wishing you the best, brother. Go Sparty! ….I hope they make it to the Division lll.Aaa…xyz Bowl they’re shooting for. How times have changed.  I just want them to beat Folsom!

26-13 West at the half. QB has a rocket arm. Threw a 35 yard laser from the left hash to the right side end zone for a TD with .08 seconds. 

3 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

26-13 West at the half. QB has a rocket arm. Threw a 35 yard laser from the left hash to the right side end zone for a TD with .08 seconds. 

If you get the chance go watch the Maryville/Alcoa game next year. Best rivalry in East Tennessee. Also McCallie/Baylor down in Chattanooga. 

• Like 1