OT: World Cup thread

ATLien12x

49 minutes ago, I AM IRONMAN said:

Cmon…who wouldn’t want Brasil vs France?

Croatian brunettes? Not too shabby :)    

A marquee final is still possible, but how much would Ronaldo play?

I’m of course referring to Messi vs Ronaldo in their last WC (I’m assuming of course).  Portugal-Argentina would be very cool imo.   Will be interesting to see if Ronaldo is starting tomorrow or gets in as a sub.  They looked fine without him last match.  

2 hours ago, maxchoboian said:

But didn't they say Croatia repeatedly overcame deficits in the 2018 World Cup in getting to the finals? And they did it again today. Either they are really, really lucky, or teams need to know Croatia (and others) are going to go hard until someone is declared the winner. 

Ali's rope-a-dope was somewhat similar.

In soccer more than any sport I know of , the better team loses at a very high percentage of the time . Then to end it in penalty kicks if there is a tie. In 1990 Wcup in USA , I remember Sweden getting to the semi's playing 9 back in the box on defense and playing for penalty kicks .  Personally I love to watch the better teams and their skill sets rather than watching some of these teams that are out played moving on. I understand that this is the sport , but that is why I don't care to watch it much except for the elite matchups

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

In soccer more than any sport I know of , the better team loses at a very high percentage of the time . Then to end it in penalty kicks if there is a tie. In 1990 Wcup in USA , I remember Sweden getting to the semi's playing 9 back in the box on defense and playing for penalty kicks .  Personally I love to watch the better teams and their skill sets rather than watching some of these teams that are out played moving on. I understand that this is the sport , but that is why I don't care to watch it much except for the elite matchups

I like watching the offensive skills of the top players in the world more than the defensive-wait-wait-wait counter attacks, but teams like Croatia who have proven to be successful with the less exciting brand deserve some credit,too.

• Like 1

The Kane missed penalty aside, that ref worked hard screwing England.  There were at least one if not two more penalties they should have had (Kane and Saka fouled in the box), and a couple of free kicks from just outside the box.  He had to be bullied to even look at the second penalty. Fucking awful.

47 minutes ago, concha said:

The Kane missed penalty aside, that ref worked hard screwing England.  There were at least one if not two more penalties they should have had (Kane and Saka fouled in the box), and a couple of free kicks from just outside the box.  He had to be bullied to even look at the second penalty. Fucking awful.

Every single quarter final game was sketch IMO.   At least they got the penalties called.  

27 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Every single quarter final game was sketch IMO.   At least they got the penalties called.  

They did not get all the penalties called.

At least two in the box were not called.  When an American soccer commentator begins wondering what the hell the ref is doing and contradicts  said ref's pivotal calls (at least two occasions in the box), there is an issue.

Just now, concha said:

They did not get all the penalties called.

At least two in the box were not called.  When an American soccer commentator begins wondering what the hell the ref is doing and contradicts  said ref's pivotal calls (at least two occasions in the box), there is an issue.

sorry what I meant was at least they got some penalties called.  

14 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Well it won’t be Ronaldo vs Messi (who didn’t show the best of class in yesterdays ARG win).  

Sad news… a sports journalist died in Qatar at just age 48.  

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-63927054

He was THE preeminent soccer journalist in this country for the last 20 years. He’s also the guy that wrote the first SI cover story on LeBron, when LeBron was still in high school.

Frequent contributor to Dan LeBatard’s podcast network.

6 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

Expected response from a goofball.

A fan ran on the field with a pride flag. He was detained for 20 minutes and released.

But they had Grant Wahl killed.

This is right in line with the utter vapidity of your political opinions. 

His brother said he received death threats.  His reporting was about more than gay issues.  48 year-old men do not typically go into cardiac arrest from bronchitis.  And who “they” might be is completely unclear.  If it was in Iran would you say it is ridiculous?  Sure it is unlikely, but “ridiculous”, nah.

2 minutes ago, Bormio said:

If it was in Iran would you say it is ridiculous?  Sure it is unlikely, but “ridiculous”, nah.

If it was any country with the known evidence that we have, yes, I would.

You have zero evidence of any foul play.

Zip.

Nada.

But that has never mattered to people like you.

Your narrative always has to get pushed.

1 minute ago, Atticus Finch said:

If it was any country with the known evidence that we have, yes, I would.

You have zero evidence of any foul play.

Zip.

Nada.

But that has never mattered to people like you.

Your narrative always has to get pushed.

We know nothing about what killed him.  So at this point any conclusions are premature, including the one that foul play is ridiculous.