OT: World Cup thread

ATLien12x

I’m sitting at a Mexican restaurant in Knoxville sipping on margaritas and eating some damn good carnitas. Lots of people here.  We’re watching the game and it’s on Telemundo. Andres Conte is the announcer. Nobody can understand a word( except for the staff), but the place is on the edge of it’s collective seat. Now we’ve got PKs. (Wiping the sweat from brow) 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Holy shit!   I got a phone call, so I had to go on pause.  Just catching up.  What a game!

Edited to add:  A pair for Messi.  Hat trick for Mbappe.  Shame to end in PKs

I understand why penalties have to be in the earlier knockout rounds, but why the final.  Unsatisfying end to a great match.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

I’m sitting at a Mexican restaurant in Knoxville sipping on margaritas and eating some damn good carnitas. Lots of people here.  We’re watching the game and it’s on Telemundo. Andres Conte is the announcer. Nobody can understand a word( except for the staff), but the place is on the edge of it’s collective seat. Now we’ve got PKs. (Wiping the sweat from brow) 

Wish I'd have watched it on Telemundo, But my favorite listen is the scottish sounding guys lmao.   Fox telecast is lacking emotion IMO.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 954gator said:

Wow.  Amazing game.   Still think France and Brazil are the best teams but it's the world cup and anything can happen.    I'll say this though.  The offsides and penalty rules seem to work differently for different teams and I hate how inconsistent they are.   

France was down 4 guys in this world cup

Hernandez

Pogba

Kante

Benzema

1 minute ago, steeler01 said:

France was down 4 guys in this world cup

Hernandez

Pogba

Kante

Benzema

Lots of teams missing players though.  I know Brazil was missing Gabriel Jesus (injured in group), Alex Teles, and Arthur Melo.   You not only have to be great but you need some luck as well to win the WC.    

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 954gator said:

best player in the world honestly.   Then again people almost always consider best offensive players as best in the world, but I think defenders and mid fielders don't get as much "goat" credit.  

He is the best player in the world. Has been for awhile now

Midfielders are usually at the top,  they control the game a lot more

16 minutes ago, 954gator said:

best player in the world honestly.   Then again people almost always consider best offensive players as best in the world, but I think defenders and mid fielders don't get as much "goat" credit as they should.  

Mbappe may not be the best technical player (although still better than most), but when it comes to power, speed, agility, and finishing ability, is there anyone better? I don’t think so either. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Wow.  Amazing game.   Still think France and Brazil are the best teams but it's the world cup and anything can happen.    I'll say this though.  The offsides and penalty rules seem to work differently for different teams and I hate how inconsistent they are.   

I agree with you that Brazil was great. They had a weakness that Argentine and France don't have , lack of shooters to make those scoring plays and finish it. They can control an entire match but fail to put it into net. France can be outplayed, but they have such great individual talent that any number of guys are so dangerous . Argentine imop plays as a team as well as Brazil , but their attack seems better with more players able to make and finish it in the net . Messi's time, and rightfully deserved, cementing him as goat up until this point