OT: World Cup thread

ATLien12x

1 hour ago, nptb17 said:

Superstars stepping up with everything on the line is a beautiful thing to watch.

Mbappe is regarded as the best player right now, and Messi the best of all time. And they delivered.

Most had Brazil and France as favorites, but Argentina had not lost a crazy number of consecutive games leading up to this tournament.

Argentina clicked early, France took total control in evening the game up, and Argentina showed a ton of grit by sucking it up and gaining back the momentum to take the 3-2 lead.

Great players, great teams, great game.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

All those sports are great , but give me B-ball and American football . Today's game was epic though , especially what was on the line . Now I will turn the sport over and won't watch for the next 4 years , until the World Cup

Well you miss out when all of these players return to the French, English, Italian, German and Spanish leagues. They form up to build true super teams and do special things.

• Like 1

1.  Wow, what a game!  
2.  Ruined by a ridiculous ending that I despise!   Further accentuated in recent years by the hop, skip and jump setups before the pk’s 🤢.  

WC finals and we get a game of horse to decide the victor.  Pathetic.  

I’ll add my notes that I wrote down during the match, but most were on goals and fairly obvious.  

2017,  my son, his GF at the time and I took in practices and games at the hard rock stadium.  di Maria is wearing the green cleats.  
If I could share a video, you’d hear my voice mentioning it.  These are screenshots from the vid.  Cavani you can see in both shots also.  This is a PSG practice (French top club).  

We also saw Messi practice with FC Barc, which was very cool.  

5E1D46E7-75CB-4BAB-935E-945D23DF93B3.png

6074D9E1-88D7-4A58-B099-498F07330CF8.png

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

Mbappe is regarded as the best player right now, and Messi the best of all time. And they delivered.

Most had Brazil and France as favorites, but Argentina had not lost a crazy number of consecutive games leading up to this tournament.

Argentina clicked early, France took total control in evening the game up, and Argentina showed a ton of grit by sucking it up and gaining back the momentum to take the 3-2 lead.

Great players, great teams, great game.

Mbappe and Messi put 7 balls in the back of the net today. 7! 😳 The ebb and flow during much of the game turned into an all out frantic melee down the stretch. And the supporting casts were all on point today when it really mattered. 

5 hours ago, SeaShells21 said:

🔴

Argentina 🇦🇷 3

France 🇫🇷 3

Extra Time | 117 min.

Forgot to mention, Messi turnover gave Mbappe 2nd goal on breakout.  

Argentina’s 3-2 lead was a beauty… Messi (think Tom Brady brain and Barry Sanders joystick  moves) so in tune knows he’s offsides and stops quick in a rush pass and boom, back to him and of course a perfect pass for a rip.
Save and Messi rebound for his 2nd goal.  

France goal 3 Mbappe hat trick!  Chicken wing elbow by defender gives the Superstar a PK netter.  3 min left in the match?  Or close.  Crazy finish.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

All those sports are great , but give me B-ball and American football . Today's game was epic though , especially what was on the line . Now I will turn the sport over and won't watch for the next 4 years , until the World Cup

Champions league matches with home/away battles to move on is pretty cool.  Usually the games are played on Tues and Wed.  It’s an annual event and the final is a one off game.  It’s very prestigious for soccer fanatics as it’s the best club teams going at it.  

3 hours ago, nptb17 said:

Well you miss out when all of these players return to the French, English, Italian, German and Spanish leagues. They form up to build true super teams and do special things.

Werd!  Just replied about it 😂 , but the clubs + version, champions league.   The best of the best.  Europa League is the Champions league minors basically.  Didn’t qualify.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

He had a great game. Probably thought it was over when they sub’d for him. I bet it was tough for him to be on the sidelines watching what was transpiring. I’m glad that he and Messi got their Cup. 👍

DIL is Argentinian and her Dad played pro soccer internationally, including one season as a 17 yr old in the states in a pro indoor league.  
Needless to say, it was a very emotional day for her and Pop.  :)   

Son and DIL’s dog was intensely watching!  :)

C494DC0E-D0FC-46ED-9BD9-84E3C1D2038E.jpeg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, SeaShells21 said:

To be honest, that is as intense as sports can get.

I love PKs

They are intense for sure. It’s funny how during WC games (especially the final) the goal seems much smaller🤣.  But the best team doesn’t necessarily win. And I don’t like that teams strategize to get to PKs to win.

• Like 2