15,955 in Rose Bowl see SJB 24 MD 22 ending 29 game winning streak

BigDrop

• BigDrop changed the title to Friday: Mater Dei vs SJB live broadcast on Bally Sports West (Verizon 812) from the Rose Bowl. 10:30 pm EST, 7:30 pm Pacific
9 hours ago, BigDrop said:

Mater Dei is 83-3 since 2016 (7 years) and will be going for it’s 30th straight victory against SJB (the last school to beat them) Friday night. Included in this is an earlier 28 game streak.

83-3!!!!

Last time they lost to anyone not named Bosco, was Corona Centennial in 2015, and overall haven't lost a game since 2019, which was Bryce Young's final HS game.

Besides DLS 151 streak, what is the next best streak for a California High School record?

1 hour ago, GoBigBlack said:

48. There are a good number of streaks in the 40s. DLS also had a 44-game streak prior to “The Streak,” and MV has had the county record of 41 since Hart beat them in the 2003 title game. They were 68-1 for a stretch from 2001 to 2005.

That’s mind boggling. DLS had a stretch of 191-1.

• Like 1

I’m strongly inclined to go with MD here, even though I’m aware that rematches tend to lead to improved (by margin if not W-L) outcomes for the first loser.

I could change my mind if someone like @steeler01gave me the impression that Negro and his staff might actually make meaningful changes to the approach on offense. My hunch is they won’t change much.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

Last time they lost to anyone not named Bosco, was Corona Centennial in 2015, and overall haven't lost a game since 2019, which was Bryce Young's final HS game.

Besides DLS 151 streak, what is the next best streak for a California High School record?

Off topic but I saw, in person, Cincinnati Elder end Charlotte Independrnce’s 109 game winning streak in overtime at UC in the 2007 Herbstreit challenge. I sat on Indy’s side (15,000+ attendance) and a lot of people cried at the end of the game when Elder won.

10 hours ago, Norcalnut said:

That’s mind boggling. DLS had a stretch of 191-1.

Note Indy’s 109 game streak.  Moeller, under Gerry Faust, from 1975 or so until the early ‘80’s (he left in ‘81 for Notre Dame and Steve Klonne took over (#1 in USA Today’s first national ranking) was 108-2.  This included a victory over a great Servite team at Kings Island which had Steve Beuerlein at qb.  Servite ended that year #4 national. ‘80 Moeller which beat DeMatha 34-0 was maybe the best hs team I’ve ever seen.  Their ‘76 team had over SIXTY players receive football scholarships (‘76 on).

I saw DLS play three times in person.  Phenominal program that did not receive the national recognition it deserved in the ‘80’s.  Faust and Coach Lad were historic.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

Note Indy’s 109 game streak.  Moeller, under Gerry Faust, from 1975 or so until the early ‘80’s (he left in ‘81 for Notre Dame and Steve Klonne took over (#1 in USA Today’s first national ranking) was 108-2.  This included a victory over a great Servite team at Kings Island which had Steve Beuerlein at qb.  Servite ended that year #4 national. ‘80 Moeller which beat DeMatha 34-0 was maybe the best hs team I’ve ever seen.  Their ‘76 team had over SIXTY players receive football scholarships (‘76 on).

I saw DLS play three times in person.  Phenominal program that did not receive the national recognition it deserved in the ‘80’s.  Faust and Coach Lad were historic.

Servite was beating Moeller in the 4th and would have won if not for the Ohio officials bailing them out. 😉 

You have that DeMatha roster? That’s insane.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, GoBigBlack said:

Servite was beating Moeller in the 4th and would have won if not for the Ohio officials bailing them out. 😉 

And didn't Sammy swordsman, whom I haven't seen on this form in quite some time, say that Moeller was accused of illegally luring athletes to them at the time?

1 hour ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

And didn't Sammy swordsman, whom I haven't seen on this form in quite some time, say that Moeller was accused of illegally luring athletes to them at the time?

If you’re asking me specifically, I have no idea who that is. My comment was tongue in cheek. I was probably still in diapers when that game was played and haven’t seen it.

On 11/23/2022 at 10:40 PM, GoBigBlack said:

I saw the DeMatha/Moeller game in person. Bill McGregor was an assistant coach that year and took over the next year as DeMatha’s head coach.  DM was 10-1 the Moeller year.  Faust played major out of town games every year (Miami Christopher Columbus, Hampton, VA Bethel, Dallas Jesuit, etc.  All, like DM believing they had a good team and wanting to measure themselves against Moeller.

The Moeller roster was because their “Gridiron Guide” published every player who received a scholarship in football each year.  The ‘76 team (which some call his best) had 26 seniors receive scholarships.  The same team had 35+ undergraduates who received a scholarship in a later year.

Moeller-under Faust-pulled many of the best players out of an area that ranged from INdianapolis to Lexington, KY.  The Greater Cincinnati league eventually put restrictions on league members and where they could live.

• Thanks 1

if Clarkson, the QB for Bosco can remain healthy for the entire game, since he didn't play in the second half of the last meeting between MD and Bosco, then Bosco has a chance, that really hurt Bosco in their last meeting with MD, and Matayo, DJ's brother, he would really have to step up even more tonight if Bosco is to have a chance, but i'm still predicting its gonna be MD again.

• BigDrop changed the title to 15,955 in Rose Bowl see SJB 24 MD 22 ending 29 game winning streak