The Woodlands Chances?

Gospeeder

Been following The Woodlands this season as I have felt this year's squad was better suited to go farther in the playoffs than those of the past. Having broken their habit of traditionally exiting in the first or second round of the playoffs and posting similar regular season results as Allen ( Allen's OOS wins excepted ), this seems to have the makings of a good game. It would be interesting to hear the thoughts of some of the more knowledgeable Texas guys from the board.

12 minutes ago, Gospeeder said:

Been following The Woodlands this season as I have felt this year's squad was better suited to go farther in the playoffs than those of the past. Having broken their habit of traditionally exiting in the first or second round of the playoffs and posting similar regular season results as Allen ( Allen's OOS wins excepted ), this seems to have the makings of a good game. It would be interesting to hear the thoughts of some of the more knowledgeable Texas guys from the board.

I would like woodlands chances better if they were playing under dome, away from inclimate weather.  I like Allen's rushing attack, two solid RBs, both around 1K each on the season running behind a massive OL.  Contrast to woodlands that has rushed as a team for about 1300 yards with only the QB with 300 yards.  If weather limits their passing games, I think the WL is in trouble.

That being said, if the weather holds up, I think it will be a good ball game.

3 hours ago, Horsefly said:

I would like woodlands chances better if they were playing under dome, away from inclimate weather.  I like Allen's rushing attack, two solid RBs, both around 1K each on the season running behind a massive OL.  Contrast to woodlands that has rushed as a team for about 1300 yards with only the QB with 300 yards.  If weather limits their passing games, I think the WL is in trouble.

That being said, if the weather holds up, I think it will be a good ball game.

I dont think Allen will be able to run the ball on The Woodlands at all. I think the weather favors the highlanders in this one. Yeah it's going to hurt TW but also eliminate Allen passing as well. Its going to be a close defensive slugfest. Hoping it's on Texanslive lol.

3 hours ago, Gospeeder said:

I've been on The Woodlands winning D1 since playoffs started. I think they can beat Allen. Lake Travis in the state game may make me re-evaluate my pic lol. Its really a toss up game in my mind. Allen is a slight favorite and I'm also wondering are We all Sleeping on Atascocita in the end.

20 minutes ago, Gametyme said:

I've been on The Woodlands winning D1 since playoffs started. I think they can beat Allen. Lake Travis in the state game may make me re-evaluate my pic lol. Its really a toss up game in my mind. Allen is a slight favorite and I'm also wondering are We all Sleeping on Atascocita in the end.

Atascocita will get hammered.

1 hour ago, Gametyme said:

I dont think Allen will be able to run the ball on The Woodlands at all. I think the weather favors the highlanders in this one. Yeah it's going to hurt TW but also eliminate Allen passing as well. Its going to be a close defensive slugfest. Hoping it's on Texanslive lol.

I don't know man, I just watched some of the woodlands vs RR game and I'm not sure woodlands has the athletes to hang with Allen.  I just didn't see it, I think this will be a comfortable win for Allen: 10-14pts.

using a word from Chimpgrip, I think WL smallish DL will get mauled up front by Allen and their depth.

Ummm, y'all are away that Garland Sachse destroyed that TWHS defense by putting up 532 yards (to TWHS' 340 yards) and 40 points. Lufkin put up 42 points on TWHS. Round Rock (an above average/solid team) put up 426 yards of offense vs TWHS. TWHS is susceptible to the pass and their run-defense can be gashed w/ a good OL/balanced team. Teams like Allen, Lake Travis, CHILL, and Desoto should be able to score all day against TWHS. The key is whether Allen's defense can get enough stops vs TWHS offense. TWHS likes to jump out on opponents and Allen can be a slow starter. Allen HAS TO get early stops and pace the scoring. They can't get down 14-21 points on TWHS and pull a comeback. Won't happen! If Allen is tied or has the lead vs TWHS going into the 2nd half, they should win by 7-14 points (because Allen is traditionally a 2nd half team and TWHS isn't).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SumDude said:

They can't get down 14-21 points on TWHS and pull a comeback. Won't happen! If Allen is tied or has the lead vs TWHS going into the 2nd half, they should win by 7-14 points (because Allen is traditionally a 2nd half team and TWHS isn't).

I agree this is key. All TWHS needs to do is get a turnover or a lucky bounce, get an early lead and they can definitely beat Allen. They have a potent passing game and their QB is key. He's great at zone reads and can throw deep and doesn't throw picks. All you need to know is he's the HC's son, knows how to run the team. Can their defense keep Allen's running game under control? That's why playing with the lead will be so important.

Also you can't discount the effect of having one of their teammate's lying in a hospital bed with a brain injury can have on them. Something like that can have a tremendous effect on your performance!

Pretty good read here guys between the DMN's and H-Town Chronicle guys on the match up.  We  could have these matchups in the top 3 classes. 

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/high-schools/2016/12/05/scouting-woodlands-vs-allen-houston-chronicle

Allen vs. LT  (Chimp will become legend one way or the other in this one)

Desoto vs. Steele (classic game a few years ago between the 2)

Denton Ryan vs. Rich. Foster ( both undefeated)

Aledo vs. College Station (both undefeated)

WOS vs. Gilmer (possibly the best match up of 4A teams ever) WOS considered a rare team this year in smaller class against one of the best offenses in the State. 

I think if this plays out this will be the best set of games and teams and none should be blowouts like we have seen in the past.  Most would be toss ups

13 hours ago, Horsefly said:

I don't know man, I just watched some of the woodlands vs RR game and I'm not sure woodlands has the athletes to hang with Allen.  I just didn't see it, I think this will be a comfortable win for Allen: 10-14pts.

using a word from Chimpgrip, I think WL smallish DL will get mauled up front by Allen and their depth.

Does anybody  know the average weight differential between Allen's Off line and TWHS Def Line?