DAVID Slays Goliath , Down Goes Delby, SJR your new 2023 state champs 🤼‍♂️

FreeBird

In a match for the ages, St. Joseph wrestling stuns Delbarton to win state title

636432524120157137-Sean-Farrell.jpg?widtSean Farrell
NorthJersey.com

aebc67fd-1d7e-4e67-869c-6add3ab3f049-012

PISCATAWAY – The Dellagattas will have a story to tell for a lifetime. 

One on how a pair of brothers helped St. Joseph shock the state and wrestle past the No. 1 team.

The Green Knights took down Delbarton, 28-24, in the Non-Public A final at Jersey Mike's Arena for their first state title since 1998.

St. Joseph senior Michael Dellagatta (190) clinched it by winning against Delbarton's Vincent Lee.

In the penultimate bout, Delbarton's Simon Ruiz defeated Rocco Dellaggatta, 7-2.

St. Joseph opened the match with three straight wins from Aidan Schlett (215), Jim Mullen (285) and Johnathon McGinty (106).

One of the most shocking turning points came at 138 when Mateo Sgambellone knocked off state champion Tyler Vazquez, 3-1, on a takedown in sudden victory. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

• FreeBird changed the title to Bergen Catholic hasn’t lost a wrestling Dual to a Bergen County school since 2010
2 hours ago, Omaha Vol said:

Is Blair Academy still the top dog in Jersey? They just beat national power Wyoming Seminary. 

What’s interesting is the way we talk about recruited up football academy’s (MD, SJD, SF, IMG ext) when Blair Academy and Wyoming Seminary are basically the wrestling versions of said football teams.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Norcalnut said:

What’s interesting is the way we talk about recruited up football academy’s (MD, SJD, SF, IMG ext) when Blair Academy and Wyoming Seminary are basically the wrestling versions of said football teams.

Exactly

A couple years back Blair had more wrestlers on their team from Florida than NJ 😩

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, SJR 04 said:

Why did AJ transfer to Bergen. Idk much about the logistics of wrestling. Was it because of the kid he faced in this match?

Lmao that’s great, , I usually don’t care bout kids transering out , but him transferring to Bergen mid season last year, that didn’t sit well, especially transferring to Bergen to be on “a better team”.  Losing to a underclassmen , That’s awesome, Karma

This loss was not unexpected for those of us that follow wrestling more than football. SJR under Damon's tutelage has been building their program for the last 5 years. BC's program while still very powerful does not command the monopoly on the studs in North Jersey like they used too. Bergen has to fight (give money) for top talent with the likes of Delbarton & Blair as well as duke it out with SJR (whose tuition is 1/3 less). The halcyon days of the 2010's when we had 8 wrestlers ranked in the top 20 nationally at their weight classes are over. 2018 (when we finally beat Blair & Wy Sem) and were ranked #1 nationally will go down as the program's high water mark. Congrats to SJR and their program. Now we have to watch out for DBP which had the best frosh recruitment in Bergen county & just behind Delby statewide. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mickeybern said:

This loss was not unexpected for those of us that follow wrestling more than football. SJR under Damon's tutelage has been building their program for the last 5 years. BC's program while still very powerful does not command the monopoly on the studs in North Jersey like they used too. Bergen has to fight (give money) for top talent with the likes of Delbarton & Blair as well as duke it out with SJR (whose tuition is 1/3 less). The halcyon days of the 2010's when we had 8 wrestlers ranked in the top 20 nationally at their weight classes are over. 2018 (when we finally beat Blair & Wy Sem) and were ranked #1 nationally will go down as the program's high water mark. Congrats to SJR and their program. Now we have to watch out for DBP which had the best frosh recruitment in Bergen county & just behind Delby statewide. 

I never went to our matches in HS and barely did any of the other students, watching that video , that atmosphere in Oradell was off charts, with that dark lighting and being sold out to max capacity, that match looked electric 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, FreeBird said:

I never went to our matches in HS and barely did any of the other students, watching that video , that atmosphere in Oradell was off charts, with that dark lighting and being sold out to max capacity, that match looked electric 

Yes.  Bergen's matches have always been well attended. Even for matches where the outcome was a foregone conclusion. You have to remember, we have had 2 wrestlers that became National Champions at the collegiate level. SJR's big step program wise was beating Bergen in the recruitment battle for Mullen. You guys thought you were getting a good football player but I noted on this board at the time of his announcement that he was a lot better wrestler. 12 years ago a highly prized athlete named Johnny Sebastian chose BC over Bosco and that decision changed the overall trajectory of both programs. Mullen's decision gave the ok to other high quality wrestlers to make the same decision. You saw the results of it on Wednesday.

Here are my comments from February 2019:

big get for you boys on the mats with the Mullen enrollment
i really don't know SJR to be honest..he's a big athletic kid though..he is a stud on the mats and had thought to be going to BC..repeated 8th grade this year..he probably would have been Bergen's starting 220 next year..that shows you how good of a wrestler he is

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FreeBird said:

Hell yeah. I never watched wrestling until last season when BC beat Joe's at Joe's.  I loved the atmosphere and intensity. I'm afraid I just might start following this sport. 

2 hours ago, Mickeybern said:

Yes.  Bergen's matches have always been well attended. Even for matches where the outcome was a foregone conclusion. You have to remember, we have had 2 wrestlers that became National Champions at the collegiate level. SJR's big step program wise was beating Bergen in the recruitment battle for Mullen. You guys thought you were getting a good football player but I noted on this board at the time of his announcement that he was a lot better wrestler. 12 years ago a highly prized athlete named Johnny Sebastian chose BC over Bosco and that decision changed the overall trajectory of both programs. Mullen's decision gave the ok to other high quality wrestlers to make the same decision. You saw the results of it on Wednesday.

I remember when Sebastian chose Bergen. I thought of it only as a football move, but he quickly fizzled out as a football player. Never knew it had such a big impact on tge wrestling world @Mickeybern

22 hours ago, Norcalnut said:

19 hours ago, hardhit1 said:

Exactly

A couple years back Blair had more wrestlers on their team from Florida than NJ 😩

Schools like IMG and Blair are not real high schools or schools for that matter. Having seen some of these “schools” play, there’s no way all those “kids” are under 18. I believe There was an NBA player who graduated HS and went to IMG for a year before he got drafted to the NBA. That kind of stuff surely cannot be legal. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SJR 04 said:

I remember when Sebastian chose Bergen. I thought of it only as a football move, but he quickly fizzled out as a football player. Never knew it had such a big impact on tge wrestling world @Mickeybern

Sure..Sebastian & his personality hit the wrestling rooms. He actively recruited Nick Suriano who became the face of BC wrestling & then Shane Griffith and so forth. Remember guys this isn't football. 14 weight classes.  All it takes is a few studs to choose your program and it is game on. In 2011 thru 13 Bergen & Bosco wrestled for the Non-Public A North title and all 3 times it came down to the last match. It was electrifying but it also signaled the end of the DBP program. The word was out in a sport that is small and notoriously clicky. Every stud aspiring to wrestle D1 and couldn't or didn't want to go to Blair chose Bergen. Mullen I believe battled in the NJ-NY match at MSG as an 8th grader and lost in OT to Senior in HS. He was a stud then & then won States as a frosh @ HWT. That is unheard of! Also, you have to remember a wrestling room requires sparring. Stud wrestlers can't get better by sparring with inferior teammates, they need opponents of equal talent. Iron sharpens iron in all team sports.

20 hours ago, hardhit1 said:

Exactly

You know what is funny on this board, everyone complains about MD & SJB not being allowed to play teams that don't play in their state championships but you really don't know why. From my interpretation it was what happened in wrestling that infuriated Cali athletics to pass the rule. Chain of Events: 1) After pushing & building for 6 years in 2018 Bergen Catholic finally crosses the Rubicon and defeats Blair (The perennial National #1). 2) Bergen does it with wrestlers like U14 Cadet National Champ Robert Howard from Cranford NJ who years earlier would have gone to Blair. Contrary to popular belief, Blair's starting lineup in any given year usually contained approx. 60% from NJ,NY & eastern PA. 3) In response Blair gets aggressive in recruiting nationally & gets Cali state champ Dominick Mata from Poway to transfer across country (As well as the Ferrari Brothers from Allen TX). 4) California wrestling community becomes enraged & calls to boycott all tournaments where Academy teams "BLAIR" & to a lesser extent Wyoming Seminary wrestle. California subsequently passes a resolution barring Cali teams from playing in any tournament where non-state tournament playing teams participate. This across all sports. Hence no California teams go to Walsh Ironman anymore to the start the wrestling season even though it is the premier tournament in the country.  

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 3:14 PM, Omaha Vol said:

Is Blair Academy still the top dog in Jersey? They just beat national power Wyoming Seminary. 

what’s up with the Wyoming school? Assuming it’s private, what makes them such an attraction 

1 hour ago, Mickeybern said:

You know what is funny on this board, everyone complains about MD & SJB not being allowed to play teams that don't play in their state championships but you really don't know why. From my interpretation it was what happened in wrestling that infuriated Cali athletics to pass the rule. Chain of Events: 1) After pushing & building for 6 years in 2018 Bergen Catholic finally crosses the Rubicon and defeats Blair (The perennial National #1). 2) Bergen does it with wrestlers like U14 Cadet National Champ Robert Howard from Cranford NJ who years earlier would have gone to Blair. Contrary to popular belief, Blair's starting lineup in any given year usually contained approx. 60% from NJ,NY & eastern PA. 3) In response Blair gets aggressive in recruiting nationally & gets Cali state champ Dominick Mata from Poway to transfer across country (As well as the Ferrari Brothers from Allen TX). 4) California wrestling community becomes enraged & calls to boycott all tournaments where Academy teams "BLAIR" & to a lesser extent Wyoming Seminary wrestle. California subsequently passes a resolution barring Cali teams from playing in any tournament where non-state tournament playing teams participate. This across all sports. Hence no California teams go to Walsh Ironman anymore to the start the wrestling season even though it is the premier tournament in the country.  

Just now, FreeBird said:

what’s up with the Wyoming school? Assuming it’s private, what makes them such an attraction 

Wyoming Seminary is a private boarding school in Pennsylvania..PA is the #1 wrestling state in the country..they are on the Blair model & have been a top 5 program nationally for about a decade

17 hours ago, Mickeybern said:

Wyoming Seminary is a private boarding school in Pennsylvania..PA is the #1 wrestling state in the country..they are on the Blair model & have been a top 5 program nationally for about a decade

Whew, I was just able to take a deep breath. Until now, all I could think of was it being a school for teenage boys preparing for priesthood with an emphasis on becoming proficient in rassling one another.

• Haha 1

SJR was the first of the BIG 3 to be dominant in wrestling in the 90s from 1993 -  2008 in state medals. how we let our momentum go away I am sure was due to coaching, clubs etc. Happy we are back on top.  Going to these matches in my time was an absolute blast as well our SJR Hockey winning the Stats as well 85- 89 was great time at SJR 

1st   6    2nd  5   3rd     9 other places.    And when ranking all time greatest wrestlers in NJ.  Damian is in the top 5.  Mike Grey /  Pritzlaff /  Logan /  add your own for the last   

Damian Logan  93  1st  95 1st  96 1st  94 2nd 

Erik Norgaard     00 1st  99 3rd  98 5th 

Rory O'Donnel   04  1st  03  4th

Mike Mazzenio  00 1st 

Frank Lodeserto  95 1st

john Trumbetti   04  2nd  05  3rd   06  2nd 

Ralph Denisco  99  2nd 

Bryan Stoll  93  3rd   ( Delby HC ) 

Karl Norgaard  96  5th   97 5th 

Lee Dugan   02  8th 

Ed Puzio  98 5th  

Mike Palo  99  6th  00 3rd  01 7th 

Vinny Santainte  03  8th 

John Ceccio  08  8th 

• FreeBird changed the title to St DAVID VS Goliath … St Joes vs Delbarton at Rutgers state championship 🤼‍♂️
  • FreeBird changed the title to DAVID Slays Goliath , Down Goes Delby, SJR your new 2023 state champs 🤼‍♂️