Arizona News

Wooderson

3 hours ago, maxchoboian said:

What's the reason (or rumor mill) for a transfer to Pinnacle?

Not that Raiola needs it but Pinnacle has a reputation as a quarterback factory; Spencer Rattler, former Michigan State starter Brian Lewerke, former Michigan commit JD Johnson (forced into medical retirement midway through his senior year at Pinnacle) and former Idaho State QB Michael Sanders are products of the program (Devon Dampier played frosh and soph year for Pioneers and had a D1 offer or two before transferring to Saguaro). All of that said Pinnacle had a sophomore starter this past year who performed extremely well and lose a lot at receiver so it's certainly not the obvious choice (I first got wind of Raiola being on the prowl Friday night and the suggested destination was Saguaro; that makes a lot more sense).

I'm on the record that I don't think very highly of Garrettson as an HC; I think a lot of Chandler's continued success post-Aguano has been mostly momentum and it wouldn't shock me if there was discontent from a pretty legitimate football family like the Raiolas.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Not that Raiola needs it but Pinnacle has a reputation as a quarterback factory; Spencer Rattler, former Michigan State starter Brian Lewerke, former Michigan commit JD Johnson (forced into medical retirement midway through his senior year at Pinnacle) and former Idaho State QB Michael Sanders are products of the program (Devon Dampier played frosh and soph year for Pioneers and had a D1 offer or two before transferring to Saguaro). All of that said Pinnacle had a sophomore starter this past year who performed extremely well and lose a lot at receiver so it's certainly not the obvious choice (I first got wind of Raiola being on the prowl Friday night and the suggested destination was Saguaro; that makes a lot more sense).

I'm on the record that I don't think very highly of Garrettson as an HC; I think a lot of Chandler's continued success post-Aguano has been mostly momentum and it wouldn't shock me if there was discontent from a pretty legitimate football family like the Raiolas.

A lot of people have been saying with Garretson the trend is downward and he has changed the culture at Chandler and they would slide back. 

Will be interesting to see what happens at Suguaro with Mohns leaving.

Alot of changes. QC ALA being bumped up to 6A despite fighting it will be interesting to see. With Detmer and Hall they are becoming a destination. QC’s top WR transferred to ALA a few weeks ago and possibly more QC players to follow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cossacks said:

A lot of people have been saying with Garretson the trend is downward and he has changed the culture at Chandler and they would slide back. 

Alot of changes. QC ALA being bumped up to 6A despite fighting it will be interesting to see. With Detmer and Hall they are becoming a destination. QC’s top WR transferred to ALA a few weeks ago and possibly more QC players to follow.

Coach Chick's death forever altered the trajectory of that program. As long as he was around there was that constant reminder of the unsung virtues behind the Chandler program (power run game and the S&C regimen) whereas now you have a QB dad steering the ship with little in the way of checks and balances. 

Chandler going out scoring seven points in two games against Basha with an offensive-minded coach and a five-star QB definitely raises some concerns.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Cossacks said:

Speaking of Saguaro, their DC is stepping away.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 5:23 AM, Frosty4024 said:

Yeeeah...Glad he transferred out of Burleson now.

My big argument regarding open enrollment and transfers has always been do your homework. If you're going to program shop get it right the first time and check out EVERYONE and not just the big names. To me it's pretty apparent that Chandler has been gradually slipping since Aguano left in 2019, and while it's easy to say that was a hard standard to maintain I'd argue that when you're a 3000 student school with near limitless resources it's inexcusable to fall behind smaller schools you had a head start on.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

Three-time AZ state championship coach Scooter Molander takes over at Desert Vista:

Heard about this they other day. Queen Creek district is a mess. State champion coach leaves Eastmark, QC high athletics are falling apart and Crismon High is like half built and they are out of money 😂

11 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

Heard about this they other day. Queen Creek district is a mess. State champion coach leaves Eastmark, QC high athletics are falling apart and Crismon High is like half built and they are out of money 😂

Worst of all, the District had the chance to name the new school the Crismon Tide but went with Rattlers instead. In their favor their classic Oilers-esque color scheme has always been a favorite of mine.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...