Bishop Gorman @ Liberty (NV) scrimmage tonight

Gridiron Godfather

Consensus top 2 teams from the Silver State meet up in what has become their annual pre-season scrimmage.  Lots of good story lines & things to look for:

• Both teams lost key members from last years 2 State Championship game teams & will be interesting to see the new looks for each team
    • Between the 2 teams, 20+ Seniors from that State Champ game  will be playing some level of college football this year
  • QB matchup of DTR, having his patience paying off with his chance to shine for BG & Liberty's Kenyon Oblad who will likely end the year as the all-time NV passing leader
  • There is mutual respect between the teams & each pulls for the other during the season, but there has to be a little sting left in that 84-8 butt whipping last December
    • Last years scrimmage also was when Tyjon had his shoulder injured on a questionable tackle 
    • Teams have met 5 times (all in playoffs) with BG winning all 5 by an average margin of 63-15
  • Will be a good tuneup for both teams as they head into strong non-league schedules
    • BG non-league games (DeMatha, MD, Miami Central & DLS)
    • Liberty non-league games (Saguaro AZ, American Heritage FL, Alta UT)
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Drummer61 said:

Liberty only plays one OOS of consequence and that is AHP and BG three good ones.. IMO??

I said:

"Will be a good tuneup for both teams as they head into strong non-league schedules"

• BG non-league games (DeMatha, MD, Miami Central & DLS)
  • Liberty non-league games (Saguaro AZ, American Heritage FL, Alta UT)

You saying these are not "strong" non league games?  4 top 25 composite teams, Top 4A team in AZ, a top 10 FL team &  playing in front of what will be the largest HSFB crowd ever in NV.

That Liberty vs Alta game is in the Polynesian Football Classic.  http://www.polynesianclassic.com/

blob.thumb.png.a6a1a78bd06899cf6d255f947f91f565.png

17 minutes ago, coach_warren said:

Can't wait for that DeMatha game. I think BG will show a lot of their coaching and culture is what makes the difference as well. DeMatha is going to be really good

Tonights scrimmage & the DeMatha game will answer a lot of questions as far as how the season goes.  I feel good about the crew we have.  That last senior class will probably never be able to be replicated, but most of this years guys were working against that group the last couple of years & have all the pieces to keep the train rolling down the track.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2017 at 3:30 PM, Drummer61 said:

BG's are good, Liberty's ,as I know those teams are not near as good....AHP, yes, but Alta and Saguro ???????????? I saw Don Bosco destroy Alta, get shut out by AHP and Saguro,has never been highly ranked at seasons end or are they,by anybody,considered a. power team..

Saguaro not good?

The hells wrong with you?

9 hours ago, Mjd33 said:

Takeaways from scrimmage ? 

Gorman was so so didn't look like the best team in America QB was gd a defense gave up a TD and second string gave up 2 TD and still have SOMETHING'S to tighten up by Friday NOT THE SAME GORMAN but that can also be a good thing and watching them I think we except so much

DeMatha beat Baltimore St. Frances (known on here as "SFA") 31-21 in a scrimmage yesterday that locally has a great deal of significance.  SFA plays a national schedule this year, is the "Biff Poggi" team that used to be Gilman and has an IMG like group of transfers.  (yes, they do play IMG...and Don Bosco, too) Perhaps most importantly the DM rising SR qb was 11-14 for 275 yards and two TDS along with a 70 yard, 60 second drive IN ONE HALF.  

Cannot wait for the next Friday night's game.

13 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

DeMatha beat Baltimore St. Frances (known on here as "SFA") 31-21 in a scrimmage yesterday that locally has a great deal of significance.  SFA plays a national schedule this year, is the "Biff Poggi" team that used to be Gilman and has an IMG like group of transfers.  (yes, they do play IMG...and Don Bosco, too) Perhaps most importantly the DM rising SR qb was 11-14 for 275 yards and two TDS along with a 70 yard, 60 second drive IN ONE HALF.  

Cannot wait for the next Friday night's game.

Nick Malibu said 1s only played a half and it was 17-14 dematha at halftime. 

I give dematha almost 50% chance to pull the upset.... 

23 minutes ago, Antt said:

Gorman was so so didn't look like the best team in America QB was gd a defense gave up a TD and second string gave up 2 TD and still have SOMETHING'S to tighten up by Friday NOT THE SAME GORMAN but that can also be a good thing and watching them I think we except so much

Just watched it again on Hudl.  Definitely a few things to work on, but some good things too.  My biggest thought was what to make of Liberty.  Your Basic prediction is looking much better now ;)

29 minutes ago, Mjd33 said:

Nick Malibu said 1s only played a half and it was 17-14 dematha at halftime. 

I give dematha almost 50% chance to pull the upset.... 

That was the half that he was 11 for 14 for 275 yards, two td's and a 70 yard drive with 60 seconds left.  

Still, honestly, Miami Central, AHP and Brockton (1991) aside this would be the biggest victory in the history of the DeMatha program if it happens.  I just personally feel a lot better about DeMatha's chances after the performance of Tyler Lenhart yesterday.

30 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Hey Drop, Be my guest at the DBP/SFA game? 

GardenStateBaller, I would love to meet you.  Not sure if I'll be going to this game but if I do it would be an honor to share it with you.  I must add that I've seen Bosco play at Bosco (with the dad of SFA's offensive coordinator when he was at DM).  I would really enjoy returning.