Battle of Top 2 Teams in AZ! #1 Chandler rolls through #2 Red Mountain HS - Chandler Wins 42-14

coach_warren

Arizona Varsity had Red Mountain #2 in 6A behind Chandler; were #3 overall. AZCentral had them fourth in 6A, and SportsAZ360.com had them eighth in 6A. 

I'm a guy that values methodology in rankings and I question any methodology that had that team higher than #5 in 6A once it became known that Austin Duffy wasn't coming back. You're essentially elevating a team to elite status on the basis of one dominant offensive player (who sat out against Chandler), a good defensive player  (from a mediocre unit), and a few second-tier starters from said mediocre defense. Red Mountain at #4 was generous, them ahead of Mountain Pointe at #2 is absurd.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, 954gator said:

I wish Chandler good fortune this coming week, they are going to need it.  IMG is Fn HUGE.   I want IMG to lose so badly this year, but I just don't see it happening.   Hopefully I'm wrong.   Go Chandler!

Same.

I think Centennial is the only one that can pull it off though. I don't think the rest of the teams can compete...Miami Central is talented but I see them fading away like Carol City, overwhelmed by their size, depth, and talent. 

17 hours ago, 954gator said:

I wish Chandler good fortune this coming week, they are going to need it.  IMG is Fn HUGE.   I want IMG to lose so badly this year, but I just don't see it happening.   Hopefully I'm wrong.   Go Chandler!

I think Chandler has a shot. IMG, for a top rated program with tons of resources, looked pretty sloppy against Carol City. They also had a lot of trouble snapping the ball. A good, disciplined team has more than a shot at beating them.

2 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

I think Chandler has a shot. IMG, for a top rated program with tons of resources, looked pretty sloppy against Carol City. They also had a lot of trouble snapping the ball. A good, disciplined team has more than a shot at beating them.

Early last season they were getting flagged every other play too. Takes some time for these fabricated teams to come together.

2 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

I  used to think this as well, but Carol City is a pretty good (and deep) run stopping team, and IMG just controlled the line so well.   Now that they have a few top running backs...I just don't see many HS teams stopping them.    

Also their secondary, which was somewhat weak last couple seasons is top notch this year.  Their one weakness I saw was their long snapper.   

56 minutes ago, 954gator said:

I  used to think this as well, but Carol City is a pretty good (and deep) run stopping team, and IMG just controlled the line so well.   Now that they have a few top running backs...I just don't see many HS teams stopping them.    

Also their secondary, which was somewhat weak last couple seasons is top notch this year.  Their one weakness I saw was their long snapper.   

Could not agree more. Carol City is far from a slouch, dare I say a national top 25 team, even. And they got HANDLED by IMG.

Taking IMG to suplex Chandler

• Like 1