Battle of Top 2 Teams in AZ! #1 Chandler rolls through #2 Red Mountain HS - Chandler Wins 42-14

coach_warren

6 minutes ago, coach_warren said:

Could not agree more. Carol City is far from a slouch, dare I say a national top 25 team, even. And they got HANDLED by IMG.

Taking IMG to suplex Chandler

Have to agree.   Looking at those Chandler highlight the line looks pretty nice and big.  Just wait till they line up against IMG, they will all of a sudden look undersized.   

6 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Have to agree.   Looking at those Chandler highlight the line looks pretty nice and big.  Just wait till they line up against IMG, they will all of a sudden look undersized.   

Grayson, St.Johns, and Bishop Sullivan had dudes similar to IMG. They just got worn out by the depth.

9 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

I should know this but do Chandler, Centennial and Saguaro play each during the reg season or playoffs? Thx. 

Saguaro and Chandler haven't played since 1992...Saguaro holds all-time edge versus the Wolves 5-3-1 (FWIW).  

Centennial and Saguaro were in the same region from 1995-96, had a non-region game in 1997, then played another one-off game in 2015.  Centennial is 4-0 all-time versus the Sabercats (again, FWIW) including wins over 1995 and 2015 state champion squads from Saguaro.

Centennial and Chandler have played two home-and-home series, with Centennial winning in 2009 and 2010 and Chandler returning the favor in 2013 and 2014.  The 2014 matchup was a 28-24 thriller between eventual D-1 and D-2 champions.

AZfootballarchives.com is a great web site for information like this.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Saguaro and Chandler haven't played since 1992...Saguaro holds all-time edge versus the Wolves 5-3-1 (FWIW).  

Centennial and Saguaro were in the same region from 1995-96, had a non-region game in 1997, then played another one-off game in 2015.  Centennial is 4-0 all-time versus the Sabercats (again, FWIW) including wins over 1995 and 2015 state champion squads from Saguaro.

Centennial and Chandler have played two home-and-home series, with Centennial winning in 2009 and 2010 and Chandler returning the favor in 2013 and 2014.  The 2014 matchup was a 28-24 thriller between eventual D-1 and D-2 champions.

AZfootballarchives.com is a great web site for information like this.

Remember when Chandler couldn't beat Hamilton? Things surely have changed.

2 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

@Wooderson 

Have MP ,Saguaro and Centenniel played? 

Centennial and Mountain Pointe played in 1992 during both schools' first varsity season with Mountain Pointe winning 29-0.  The two schools wouldn't play again until the 2015 D-1 semifinals with Centennial winning 33-21.  Saguaro has never played Mountain Pointe.

On 8/21/2017 at 9:34 AM, aZjimbo said:

Not sure if it is so now but schedules (regular season) were computer generated in the past. I think besides region/league games those extra games were the ones that were computer generated.

The era of computer-generated schedules in Arizona was very brief (2011-2014) and in reality not terribly impactful.  Teams were always allowed even during that period to have a number of "freedom" games that the schools themselves arranged while the rest of the schedule was generated by computer.  The 2011-2012 scheduling block saw the greatest reliance on computer schedules as each team was allowed only two "freedom" games, but the 2013-14 enrollment block saw that number double to four.  In comparison, the state is currently back to the scheduling format used prior to 2011-the first half of the season is dedicated to non-region/freedom games while the second half is region/league play, making the only difference between the current format and the 2013-14 "computer-generated" schedule is that the current "regions" were organized by school officials while the "sections" adhered to previously were organized via computer.  And even with computer scheduling in place teams were able to "trade" a computer-generated game for an independently arranged game as long as all teams involved were in agreement (i.e. if in 2011 Saguaro and Mountain Pointe agreed to play one another while their opponents from 09/16 of that year-D-4 opponent Fountain Hills for the Sabercats and southern Arizona punching bag Buena for the Pride-it would be pemissable).  If teams wanted to play inter-conference games from 2011-14 there was nothing stopping them from doing so, especially during that 2013-14 block.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

The era of computer-generated schedules in Arizona was very brief (2011-2014) and in reality not terribly impactful.  Teams were always allowed even during that period to have a number of "freedom" games that the schools themselves arranged while the rest of the schedule was generated by computer.  The 2011-2012 scheduling block saw the greatest reliance on computer schedules as each team was allowed only two "freedom" games, but the 2013-14 enrollment block saw that number double to four.  In comparison, the state is currently back to the scheduling format used prior to 2011-the first half of the season is dedicated to non-region/freedom games while the second half is region/league play, making the only difference between the current format and the 2013-14 "computer-generated" schedule is that the current "regions" were organized by school officials while the "sections" adhered to previously were organized via computer.  And even with computer scheduling in place teams were able to "trade" a computer-generated game for an independently arranged game as long as all teams involved were in agreement (i.e. if in 2011 Saguaro and Mountain Pointe agreed to play one another while their opponents from 09/16 of that year-D-4 opponent Fountain Hills for the Sabercats and southern Arizona punching bag Buena for the Pride-it would be pemissable).  If teams wanted to play inter-conference games from 2011-14 there was nothing stopping them from doing so, especially during that 2013-14 block.   

I just remember Steve Belles being ticked off because he had to play DV in the regular season with one of the 2 freedom games. I think it was 2012.

16 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Centennial and Mountain Pointe played in 1992 during both schools' first varsity season with Mountain Pointe winning 29-0.  The two schools wouldn't play again until the 2015 D-1 semifinals with Centennial winning 33-21.  Saguaro has never played Mountain Pointe.

Thanks for that AZ archives link. 

I wish Saguaro would  play Chandler and MP. That way we could really see whefe they stand.  

Honestly I thought Chandler was alot older than that. 

Not trying to change the subject. But here you go. 

One of the questions I was going to ask is if AZ had a historian site and you answered my question.  

Here this is the GA historian site. If you ever get curious or just eanna take a look here you go:

http://ghsfha.org/w/Main_Page

15 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

I wish Saguaro would  play Chandler and MP. That way we could really see whefe they stand.  

One of the questions I was going to ask is if AZ had a historian site and you answered my question.  

Here this is the GA historian site. If you ever get curious or just eanna take a look here you go:

Look at Hamilton. Only around since 1998. And Pinnacle since 2000. Many new and young schools as this places keeps growing.

3 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

We know where Saguaro stands-they had a state champion squad in 2015 that played a larger division champion and a six-win larger division team and lost both games.  They're 1-4 since 2008 against their rivals at Chaparral (also a larger-division program) and went 0-for when they took on Desert Vista in 2011 and 2012 when both programs were at a championship level.  There's a reason Saguaro doesn't schedule those games any more-they can either schedule those games every year, take the "L" nine times out of ten and have it confirmed that they're the tier-three champion in Arizona, or they can play a series of run-of-the-mill out-of-state schools that have a little bit of name recognition (Serra, Liberty) or champions from second-rate football states (Valor, East) and thump their chests about being a national power.  Coach Mohns has zero interest in letting people know where his program stands because it wouldn't jive with the delusions of grandeur he has in place for it. 

3 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

We know where Saguaro stands-they had a state champion squad in 2015 that played a larger division champion and a six-win larger division team and lost both games.  They're 1-4 since 2008 against their rivals at Chaparral (also a larger-division program) and went 0-for when they took on Desert Vista in 2011 and 2012 when both programs were at a championship level.  There's a reason Saguaro doesn't schedule those games any more-they can either schedule those games every year, take the "L" nine times out of ten and have it confirmed that they're the tier-three champion in Arizona, or they can play a series of run-of-the-mill out-of-state schools that have a little bit of name recognition (Serra, Liberty) or champions from second-rate football states (Valor, East) and thump their chests about being a national power.  Coach Mohns has zero interest in letting people know where his program stands because it wouldn't jive with the delusions of grandeur he has in place for it. 

Used to be that way with Buford. 

But Buford actually stepped up recently theyve Beaten Mceachern and Historically North Gwinnett and Norcross. But Roswell has bad their number for some while now.  

They're 5-11 vs Roswell since 1980... 

5-2vs Norcross. 

22-5 vs North Gwinnett 

3-3 vs Mceachern . 

North Gwinnett nor  Norcross will play Buford anymore... 

1 minute ago, Wooderson said:

Bottom line is most 4A schools are not going to beat the larger 6A schools because they don't have the depth. Saguaro and an enrollment 1300+ while 6A schools have for example Pinnacle (2500), Hamilton (3800), MP (2700). 

Just now, aZjimbo said:

Bottom line is most 4A schools are not going to beat the larger 6A schools because they don't have the depth. Saguaro and an enrollment 1300+ while 6A schools have for example Pinnacle (2500), Hamilton (3800), MP (2700). 

Exactly, and with that as it is the national acclaim that school gets is bollocks.  

42 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Moon Valley Rockets... 

Idk why that caught my attention... 

Incidentally Moon Valley is at least five miles away from the part of Phoenix known as "Moon Valley"; one of the schools in their district (Thunderbird) is the school that actually serves Moon Valley.  

And it gets better...as an homage to their "Rocket" nickname, they have a portion of one of NASA's old Apollo rockets planted like a statue in front of the school.  The catch?  There's also another school in the district named Apollo High School.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Another Question. 

Has Saguaro always been like this or only when Coach Mohn arrived?

Saguaro had an interesting dilemma in 2011. They were 8-1 going into their last game vs rival Chaparral. They clinched a playoff spot but the coach decided to sit the starters and play the JV team a good part of the game. Saguaro lost 65-0 and luckily none of those JV kids got killed. Saguaro has won in 06, 07, 08, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16. For those in NJ the team they remind me the most is Wayne Hills in their heyday.

2 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Incidentally Moon Valley is at least five miles away from the part of Phoenix known as "Moon Valley"; one of the schools in their district (Thunderbird) is the school that actually serves Moon Valley.  

And it gets better...as an homage to their "Rocket" nickname, they have a portion of one of NASA's old Apollo rockets planted like a statue in front of the school.  The catch?  There's also another school in the district named Apollo High School.  

Nice area on the Moon Valley golf course and the surrounding streets.

2 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Are they good?

3 minutes ago, aZjimbo said:

Saguaro had an interesting dilemma in 2011. They were 8-1 going into their last game vs rival Chaparral. They clinched a playoff spot but the coach decided to sit the starters and play the JV team a good part of the game. Saguaro lost 65-0 and luckily none of those JV kids got killed. Saguaro has won in 06, 07, 08, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16. For those in NJ the team they remind me the most is Wayne Hills in their heyday.

Wtf was he thinking?