Battle of Top 2 Teams in AZ! #1 Chandler rolls through #2 Red Mountain HS - Chandler Wins 42-14

coach_warren

19 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Another Question. 

Has Saguaro always been like this or only when Coach Mohn arrived?

Saguaro won their first championship in 1995 under current Texas OC Tim Beck.  He left for the collegiate ranks immediately following that season and the program went into free-fall under a guy named Walt Sword that was generally seen as a fantastic person but awful football coach.  He was followed by a guy named Stu Goldstein who had the opposite reputation-a fantastic coach that had zero moral compass whatsoever.  He restored the program to a near-championship level from 2000 to 2002 before he bowed-out/was run-out, but aside from the season immediately following his departure they either maintained the status they had gained under Goldstein (semifinal runs in 4A in 2000, 2001, and 2004) before Mike Reardon's 2006 title squad got the 'Cats their second title.  He left to take over the program at Gilbert Mesquite after that year, and his replacement John Sanders was about as endearing as diaper rash.  He had them as state champions in 2007 and 2008, reclaimed the crown in 2010 and 2011, but was ran out for benching his starters prior to a nationally-televised matchup with local rival Chaparral.  Understand that the Chaparral game was not a game he wanted to play from the git-go; after the Firebirds moved-up to 5A in 2009 he killed the rivalry altogether, refusing to play them because they were a larger division team.  In the meantime, his competitive nature didn't stop him from throwing deep to a Rice commit with a 49-0 third quarter lead versus Agua Fria, or throwing deep on a halfback pass during the final two minutes of an eventual 70-21 victory over Thunderbird in 2011.  Oddly enough he hasn't been offered another head coaching position since leaving Saguaro despite the fact that he wears four state championship rings.

From 2012 on Mohns has been the leader at Saguaro; he actually fell on his sword to take the blame for the halfback pass against Thunderbird in 2011, but aside from a first half against Tempe in 2012 where his team racked up over 200 yards in his penalties has been relatively scandal-free apart from the tried and true recruiting allegations.  He's a life-long Phoenix kid that didn't play football but was the son of an NFL/CFL executive and established one of the state's more successful youth football organizations (the younger Mohns that is).  

10 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Are they good?

Moon Valley was a powerhouse in the eighties; prior to 2015 their 1982 state title was the last one won by a west Phoenix metro team in the state's largest division, and their 2004 4A championship squad still gets talked about for their record-setting, dynamic offense (the OC and DC from that squad-Dave Huffine and Charlie Ragle-would settle at Chaparral and become the driving force behind their 5A-2/D-2 three-peat from 2009 to 2011).  Since 2004 they've had one winning season.

Thunderbird has never really been a football power but typically had good to great programs in baseball, basketball (boys and girls), track, wrestling, and golf.  In 2010 they had a magical run in the 4A-2 playoffs, entering with a 6-4 record but pulling off three one-score victories in the playoffs (one in OT, one in double-OT) to win their first-and thus far only-state championship.  Oregon's Kani Benoit was a sophomore running back on that team.  

Apollo's best run from a longevity perspective was from 2009 to 2012, winning ten game in the first and last year of that run and never winning less than eight games.  Even though they're not a top-tier team they have an odd penchant for playing Centennial tough (or at least tougher than expected) every other time the schools play.  Last year they held a 7-0 halftime lead against the Coyotes before Centennial pulled away (Apollo hasn't won in this series since 1999) so this is (likely) the year that the Hawks have 50+ hung on them a la 2012 or 2014.

36 minutes ago, aZjimbo said:

Nice area on the Moon Valley golf course and the surrounding streets.

One of my dream neighborhoods out here; I paid for books and car insurance while working the driving range of that golf course in my college days, cleaned Phillipi Sparks' shoes and clubs once or twice along the way.

52 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

One of my dream neighborhoods out here; I paid for books and car insurance while working the driving range of that golf course in my college days, cleaned Phillipi Sparks' shoes and clubs once or twice along the way.

Still very nice. Many older people still living there. They keep their homes very nice. Not your typical cookie cutter neighborhood. 

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

Saguaro won their first championship in 1995 under current Texas OC Tim Beck.  He left for the collegiate ranks immediately following that season and the program went into free-fall under a guy named Walt Sword that was generally seen as a fantastic person but awful football coach.  He was followed by a guy named Stu Goldstein who had the opposite reputation-a fantastic coach that had zero moral compass whatsoever.  He restored the program to a near-championship level from 2000 to 2002 before he bowed-out/was run-out, but aside from the season immediately following his departure they either maintained the status they had gained under Goldstein (semifinal runs in 4A in 2000, 2001, and 2004) before Mike Reardon's 2006 title squad got the 'Cats their second title.  He left to take over the program at Gilbert Mesquite after that year, and his replacement John Sanders was about as endearing as diaper rash.  He had them as state champions in 2007 and 2008, reclaimed the crown in 2010 and 2011, but was ran out for benching his starters prior to a nationally-televised matchup with local rival Chaparral.  Understand that the Chaparral game was not a game he wanted to play from the git-go; after the Firebirds moved-up to 5A in 2009 he killed the rivalry altogether, refusing to play them because they were a larger division team.  In the meantime, his competitive nature didn't stop him from throwing deep to a Rice commit with a 49-0 third quarter lead versus Agua Fria, or throwing deep on a halfback pass during the final two minutes of an eventual 70-21 victory over Thunderbird in 2011.  Oddly enough he hasn't been offered another head coaching position since leaving Saguaro despite the fact that he wears four state championship rings.

From 2012 on Mohns has been the leader at Saguaro; he actually fell on his sword to take the blame for the halfback pass against Thunderbird in 2011, but aside from a first half against Tempe in 2012 where his team racked up over 200 yards in his penalties has been relatively scandal-free apart from the tried and true recruiting allegations.  He's a life-long Phoenix kid that didn't play football but was the son of an NFL/CFL executive and established one of the state's more successful youth football organizations (the younger Mohns that is).  

Sanders was not well liked and that game vs Chaparral really showed what he was made of. I believe the opening round of the playoffs after losing to Chaparral they scored 80 points and went on to win another state title.

6 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Flagstaff is the oddest place ever...  

When you think AZ you think desert. 

Not snow and green grass... 

And pine trees.

Flagstaff has the highest peak in Az, Humphries Peak at nearly 13,000 feet. Phoenix is at 1200 so one can imagine the temperature difference. Flag has NAU and a lot of long haired, pot smoking liberals LOL. Not cheap either. You can swim and ski within two hours in Az. Very diverse landscape.

6 minutes ago, aZjimbo said:

Cactus? There is a Cactus road but not city/town . Flagstaff great place to hike. Scottsdale beautiful city with a lot of money. Nice place to live. 

Flagstaff is the wife and mine home away from home...last summer we got up there at least one weekend each month and was where we got engaged.  Awful traffic but great town.

Scottsdale is vapid and has no character whatsoever.  The goth kids on South Park once dubbed it the most miserable place on Earth, and while I won't agree with the hyperbole it is not among my favorite places.  The "money" aspect is largely a myth that gets thrown around by folks that moved there a week ago-most life-long Scottsdale folks either settle in the far northern reaches of the town or hunker down in Arcadia (which not for nothing is my ultimate dream neighborhood) and the old money in Phoenix is almost exclusively in Paradise Valley (adjacent to Scottsdale but its own separate entity).

Chandler and parts of Glendale/Peoria have emerged as centers of affluence, and unlike Scottsdale Chandler has an awesome downtown that isn't powered by Western-themed tourist traps or vile dance clubs (Glendale has an alright downtown while Peoria has a fantastic downtown for scoring a used radiator).  Gilbert has a promising downtown stretch with some great restaurants.  

TL, DR...I do not like Scottsdale.  

1 minute ago, Wooderson said:

Flagstaff is the wife and mine home away from home...last summer we got up there at least one weekend each month and was where we got engaged.  Awful traffic but great town.

Scottsdale is vapid and has no character whatsoever.  The goth kids on South Park once dubbed it the most miserable place on Earth, and while I won't agree with the hyperbole it is not among my favorite places.  The "money" aspect is largely a myth that gets thrown around by folks that moved there a week ago-most life-long Scottsdale folks either settle in the far northern reaches of the town or hunker down in Arcadia (which not for nothing is my ultimate dream neighborhood) and the old money in Phoenix is almost exclusively in Paradise Valley (adjacent to Scottsdale but its own separate entity).

Chandler and parts of Glendale/Peoria have emerged as centers of affluence, and unlike Scottsdale Chandler has an awesome downtown that isn't powered by Western-themed tourist traps or vile dance clubs (Glendale has an alright downtown while Peoria has a fantastic downtown for scoring a used radiator).  Gilbert has a promising downtown stretch with some great restaurants.  

TL, DR...I do not like Scottsdale.  

I disagree on Scottsdale not that I hang there. Some beautiful huge homes that fit the desert perfectly. Some great parks and hiking and some nice high schools. To each his own.

Wish I could afford to live in Flagstaff. NAU is actually not a bad college.  Although I'd prefer U of A. 

And ASU is a super party school....so thats out... im not a major fan of staying on campus though... Im also not a fan of OOS tuition... 

I can barely afford the apartment Im in now... 

If it wasnt for my aunt Id be staying on campus.  

And I doubt she'd help me with an apartment in Flagstaff...