GOW: No. 3 SJB, 3 vs. No. 5 STA, 9 F OT

PrepGridiron

Who Will Win?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins when SJB travels to STA on 8/25.

• St. John Bosco Braves
    • St. Thomas Aquinas Raiders
    • S. Florida Rain

Man STA was lucky to get that win tonight.   But I was impressed with the D never giving up in some SHITTY situations.   

Let me get this out of the way...SJB's Lines (especially the D front) were STOUT.    Feel bad for their D, as no defense should have to come out with an L after an effort like that.

As for STA's offense...not pretty at all.   The weather was complete chit, but as a team you have to have a game plan for those rare situations when you meet a defense (Dfront) you can't just bully.   

A lot of what ifs in this game.  SJB kicker...STA QB play.    Anyways, neither offense should be ashamed, they faced ELITE D's for their first game of the season.    Hopefully Casteel can bounce back lol.   Not the best way to start your HS QB career against a team like that. 

Lastly, I want to make a shout out to #40 on STA's D.   Saved the day on that pass breakup in OT.   Shout out to the whole D really, they bent a little bit (Gator offense syndrome lol),  but they came in CLUTCH in tight spots!

Best of luck to SJB the rest of the season.   Their opponents better take some pregame Ibuprofen and tighten those chinstraps!

• Like 1

Just now, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Ok so whats your say on SJBs offense? You are aware that they didnt accomplish squat right. 

Although Sta had a ton of 3&outs. 

1st game of the season vs an elite defense. Did you expect them to score a ton?

How did a great offense like BG last year do against STA's defense?

Just now, steeler01 said:

1st game of the season vs an elite defense. Did you expect them to score a ton?

How did a great offense like BG last year do against STA's defense?

I expected SJB to score atleast 14. 

And STA to score atleast 14 also. 

I got one thing right. They did go into OT 

But SJB's issue is that they need a better QB. Re-al mitchell isnt bad. But he is not what SJB needs. If SJB had a QB they wouldve won that game. 

8 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

I expected SJB to score atleast 14. 

And STA to score atleast 14 also. 

I got one thing right. They did go into OT 

But SJB's issue is that they need a better QB. Re-al mitchell isnt bad. But he is not what SJB needs. If SJB had a QB they wouldve won that game. 

Honestly Re-al didn't play that bad.   Kid put the ball up to his WR's to make plays at least and was able to maintain SJB field position advantage basically the entire game.    Put a pro style there with STA's D and see how they do.   Won't be pretty. 

12 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

SJB should've won that game regardless. They were in the RZ like 5 times and ended up with 3 points. 

Yeah man they definitely left a lot of points off the board.   I felt the same way last year against BG and BTW.   Thought we shoulda won both those games.  

Not sure STA had 100 yards offensively.  That's asking a helluva lot of your D... and like vs BG that D was stout.  No luck in that STA defense.  I wish Taylor took over as HC (just a clusterfuck of chaos with getting kids in or out for special teams).  What a mess.  The OL I will get into another time.  

A snooze fest for many?  Likely.  But like the BG game, two heavyweights favored the D's.  Nobody expected Chandler vs Centennial.   Athletes galore out there and was fun to watch with closing speed.   

It's 4th qtr Dematha BG time. 

IMG_2887.JPG

• Like 3

On 8/21/2017 at 9:41 AM, steeler01 said:

Ill take SJB just because I haven't seen a capable STA QB in recent times. Low scoring defensive slugfest that I think Real has the capability of winning with a long run off the read option

I was pretty much right, but I don't think Re-Al was used right today on offense. Not enough read options with him going outside. 

12 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Steeler, you think a record might have been broken for total D1's in a HS game?  70 maybe? That's nuts.

Yes.  For sure a record.  Probably 70 and by year's end probably 75+.  STA started a soph OL with 0 offers over a junior with a Michigan state offer.  Offers obviously don't tell the whole story   It's who's executing better.   

BG turning it up.  

11 hours ago, steeler01 said:

I was pretty much right, but I don't think Re-Al was used right today on offense. Not enough read options with him going outside. 

I think Jason Taylor was going to make sure Re-Al's legs didn't beat them, and STA schemed very well to contain the SJB QB. And, the STA DBs were not allowing separation at all. Two loaded teams playing early, when the defenses are always ahead of the offenses. Pretty damn tough high school football.