GOW: No. 3 SJB, 3 vs. No. 5 STA, 9 F OT

PrepGridiron

Who Will Win?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins when SJB travels to STA on 8/25.

• St. John Bosco Braves
    • St. Thomas Aquinas Raiders
    • S. Florida Rain

9 minutes ago, i67darrin said:

Does anyone know if this game will be nationally televised?  I'm following my local favorite De La Salle and will be at their game @ Amador Valley in Pleasanton, Ca.  Still wanted to tape this game, if possible.

When DLS plays NorCal teams do you get half price tickets seeing that game is always over by halftime!!!???

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, i67darrin said:

Does anyone know if this game will be nationally televised?  I'm following my local favorite De La Salle and will be at their game @ Amador Valley in Pleasanton, Ca.  Still wanted to tape this game, if possible.

Ignore Nole; he's just getting a jab in for the other DLS fans on here. Welcome to the board. The game is being shown on the ESPN family of networks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, i67darrin said:

Good luck to your local favorite...

Just don't tell any of these other DLS fans around here I said that. 

xD

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 954gator said:

Well 1st year prostyle QB vs vet dual threat.  Im not sure STA's running game is as strong as last year (they threw for most of their TDs vs dillard).   I mean STA is going to be more accustomed to rain, but if I were a Bosco Coach I wouldn't mind if it were raining.  

Excited for this game.  It sucks that so many good games are being played at the same time.

The QB looks to be an improvement compared to the mediocrity that filled the spot last year.

2 hours ago, i67darrin said:

Friday on ESPNU 4:00pm Pacific Standard Time.

3 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

When DLS plays NorCal teams do you get half price tickets seeing that game is always over by halftime!!!???

Funny guy!  Yeah, the game against Amador Valley should go that way, as DLS hasn't lost to a NorCal team since 1979 (last Pittsburg High).  I'm going on the road to Las Vegas on 09.16.17 to see DLS play reigning national champions Bishop Gorman, which I'm hoping will be very competitive however.  That could be a classic, like when DLS traveled and lost to Euless Trinity, TX 2 years ago.

11 minutes ago, BB bos said:

From yesterday after landing a trip to the Beach getting acclimated to the weather

DH23Uh9W0AEyx4Y.jpg

And back to practice after a little fun in the sun.

DH1s9sxVYAEcWlI.jpg:large

DH2MCw_UMAAdvxr.jpg

Getting acclimated to the weather? Now Idk about y'all, but I never go to a beach to get acclimated to the weather. But, I'll take it for what it is. 

On 8/21/2017 at 9:41 AM, steeler01 said:

Ill take SJB just because I haven't seen a capable STA QB in recent times. Low scoring defensive slugfest that I think Real has the capability of winning with a long run off the read option

steeler and others,

Looking forward to this one...but I don't understand how SJB can even be favored, much less by so many.   I understand that 2016 isn't 2017, but last year we watched BG travel to SJB and win handily by 15, and then we watched STA travel to BG and lose a game by all rights they coulda shoulda in 34 overtimes...

I like Real (love his mom), but I'm not sure how he closes a two touchdown gap plus 10 more in points this year.  What are the other changes that support this much of a swing?  

Also, game beer discussion should not be banished to the hinterlands of the OT thread...Have not yet selected the craft that will christen the season, but will appreciate hearing about others' choices... 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

steeler and others,

Looking forward to this one...but I don't understand how SJB can even be favored, much less by so many.   I understand that 2016 isn't 2017, but last year we watched BG travel to SJB and win handily by 15, and then we watched STA travel to BG and lose a game by all rights they coulda shoulda in 34 overtimes...

I like Real (love his mom), but I'm not sure how he closes a two touchdown gap plus 10 more in points this year.  What are the other changes that support this much of a swing?  

Also, game beer discussion should not be banished to the hinterlands of the OT thread...Have not yet selected the craft that will christen the season, but will appreciate hearing about others' choices... 

That is not a valid comparison. EVERY matchup is different. You cannot compare how these teams did vs BG to see wholl win between them, atleast not in this instance.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, i67darrin said:

Funny guy!  Yeah, the game against Amador Valley should go that way, as DLS hasn't lost to a NorCal team since 1979 (last Pittsburg High).  I'm going on the road to Las Vegas on 09.16.17 to see DLS play reigning national champions Bishop Gorman, which I'm hoping will be very competitive however.  That could be a classic, like when DLS traveled and lost to Euless Trinity, TX 2 years ago.

You're a tad bit off on your timeline 

1979 was Lad's first season and DLS had not even enjoyed one winning season yet in their brief gridiron history 

1991 NcS championship was DLS's last NorCal loss (to Pitt)

1 hour ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

steeler and others,

Different match up. 

44 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

That is not a valid comparison. EVERY matchup is different. You cannot compare how these teams did vs BG to see wholl win between them, atleast not in this instance.

Yes ECH, I thought a few of us have been around long enough that we didn't have to go through the entire litany of cliche's about what's important when comparing HS football teams.  From you in particular, this criticism sounds like an obtuse reference to Calpreps.  But fair enough.  Here is some more reason why, without knowing very much of SJB and STA this year, I'm skeptical about the point spread.  

My memory has faded a bit, but as I recall, all three teams were stacked with talent everywhere last year, and I don't remember any real glaring weaknesses (except BG backers apparently need to step on the backs of their linemen to try to block kicks...).  But one of my impressions was also that line play for all three was very good and something I would consider a strength.  In particular I remember effusively praising the SJB O-line during and after the state championship, but again if memory serves the STA lines had better success against BG than the SJB lines did.  Further, I think SJB had some graduations on it's o-line (for example, I think it was number 78 who really stood out, and I think he was a senior, so he's gone).   So again, I'm trying to understand how the changes on the two teams make up a 25 point swing. 

But since my reasoning is faulty along with my memory, why don't you tell us ECH, what are the important match-ups that account for 25 points over last year?  What should we be watching here?

27 minutes ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Yes ECH, I thought a few of us have been around long enough that we didn't have to go through the entire litany of cliche's about what's important when comparing HS football teams.  From you in particular, this criticism sounds like an obtuse reference to Calpreps.  But fair enough.  Here is some more reason why, without knowing very much of SJB and STA this year, I'm skeptical about the point spread.  

My memory has faded a bit, but as I recall, all three teams were stacked with talent everywhere last year, and I don't remember any real glaring weaknesses (except BG backers apparently need to step on the backs of their linemen to try to block kicks...).  But one of my impressions was also that line play for all three was very good and something I would consider a strength.  In particular I remember effusively praising the SJB O-line during and after the state championship, but again if memory serves the STA lines had better success against BG than the SJB lines did.  Further, I think SJB had some graduations on it's o-line (for example, I think it was number 78 who really stood out, and I think he was a senior, so he's gone).   So again, I'm trying to understand how the changes on the two teams make up a 25 point swing. 

But since my reasoning is faulty along with my memory, why don't you tell us ECH, what are the important match-ups that account for 25 points over last year?  What should we be watching here?

I'm with you on this one 15. I wouldn't touch that -10.5 line with a 10-foot pole. I think SJB can hang with anyone nationally (and they have more or less shown this over the past 5 years) but 10.5 points is a lot to spot a team like STA on their home turf. The only other thing that I could conceive of that might influence that line (to add to your observations re: 2016) is to go back and watch STA's 2016 week 1 loss to BTW. If STA comes out and plays like that on Friday, then -10.5 seems more reasonable. 

BTW, I got a bottle of Drie Fonteinen Oude Kriek lined up for Friday.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

I'm with you on this one 15. I wouldn't touch that -10.5 line with a 10-foot pole. I think SJB can hang with anyone nationally (and they have more or less shown this over the past 5 years) but 10.5 points is a lot to spot a team like STA on their home turf. The only other thing that I could conceive of that might influence that line (to add to your observations re: 2016) is to go back and watch STA's 2016 week 1 loss to BTW. If STA comes out and plays like that on Friday, then -10.5 seems more reasonable. 

BTW, I got a bottle of Drie Fonteinen Oude Kriek lined up for Friday.

Hey dntn, good to see you!  Hope you are well.  

FWIW - Your boys are our boys on Friday and I'm rooting for them - It's a CA thing.  Naturally, I'll go back to hating on the south later ;).  So good luck to our boys on Friday.  Point taken about how STA came out last year (they shoulda won that one), but there have also been years when they came out deadly, so we'll see.   This one has the potential to be a classic.

Never heard of Drie Fentenian Oude Kriek - but I will take a look.  Game threads are the best -- Looking forward to both the banter and the beer!

49 minutes ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Another thing to take into account is SJB is deeper this year (at least on paper) than they were last year.   I'd guess they are 30+D1s deep and had a couple clutch transfers.   As far as graduation STA loses at least as much as any every year.   As for the point spread, yeah I think most think it's a bit much.   I wouldn't doubt Cpreps plays a part in these lines a bit.   Coin flip in my book.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Perhaps too much stock is being put into last yrs. opening game dismantling of St. X. and STA losing their 1st game. If STA were traveling to SJB I'd consider laying $ on the over 10.5 spread but traveling to FLA in Aug. that's another story. I think this is a great match up but If either one of these teams wins by more then 10 points you could be looking at the national champs.

Btw, I think a game of this magnitude will require a few bottles of Pliny the Elder. 

• Like 1