GOW: No. 3 SJB, 3 vs. No. 5 STA, 9 F OT

PrepGridiron

Who Will Win?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins when SJB travels to STA on 8/25.

• St. John Bosco Braves
    • St. Thomas Aquinas Raiders
    • S. Florida Rain

1 minute ago, golfaddict1 said:

Not sure.  But Davis can ball.  We know Asante Samuel Jr can.  Blades returned a kick well.  Didn't seem to play much in the game in secondary.  But STA was also focusing on the run.  

Yeah he can.   Secondary was lights out IMO.   Jordan Battle, tutu, Blades, Samuel, Davis....hell of a back end!

On 8/25/2017 at 8:19 PM, steeler01 said:

I was pretty much right, but I don't think Re-Al was used right today on offense. Not enough read options with him going outside. 

I'm not good making predictions -- Especially when they are about the future.

But, I did point out some considerations ahead of time that I thought had a reasonable potential of coming to pass...

On 8/24/2017 at 4:54 PM, 15yds4gibberish said:

Thanks for the opportunity to put up pink slips ECH, but such a wager would be about as meaningful to me as placing a bet on the outcome of a coin toss.  I've not seen either team play this year, so even if I won the bet, it would be much more reflective of how lucky I was than it would be a demonstration of any ability to evaluate a HS football team...

As for the QB analysis, you are basically agreeing with Steeler on this.  I am a fan of the QB comparison approach to HS football teams that Steeler and you have used here (although I don't really think of it as a match-up analysis as QBs don't play against each other).  You both make a solid point, and I find it's always a good idea to look more deeply into everything Steeler writes about HS football games (although we more often agree, we aren't always in lockstep).  

I don't recall seeing the new STA QB, so I've no opinion.  As for the Re'al De'al, I think I saw him play 4 times last year, 3 on stream/TV and once live in the state championship game.  As both Steeler and you suggest, he's really fast, and he will hurt you with his wheels.  Count on him to break at least a couple that will go for/set up some scores.  But I would also suggest that he's had that ability since his first start, so those scores are already baked into the cake so to speak.   Traditionally STA D-Lines are excellent at containment (but I don't know what they bring back this year).  

WRT the De'al's passing, I agree with you, I think he did get better as the season progressed, but last I saw, I thought he also had some room for improvement.  As I recall in the state championship, he missed some wide open receivers early, but he had some incredible passes later.  As I also recall from last year, the STA secondary was a strength, and much better than the DLS secondary in the State Championship -- So that could hurt SJB if there are some errant throws early and STA makes some plays.

But, I don't really know.  I could see any outcome in this game.  SJB wins big.  STA wins big.  One big play at the end makes the difference...no outcome would completely surprise me, but with two loaded programs head to head, it could easily be a classic.  To use another HS football cliche, and as I alluded to in an earlier post, I suspect it will ultimately come down to line play -- And as Prepgrid suggests, we may get a read on that pretty early on.

Should be fun.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/21/2017 at 11:38 AM, PrepGridiron said:

The highly anticipated game between two of the best programs in the country is set for this Friday. Who do you got? Who will win the line of scrimmage? How will new STA QB, Curt Casteel, fair in his first start? How will the heat and humidity affect the Braves? What are the keys to the game? 

Rankings from PrepGridiron.com Reader Poll as of 8/23/17.

HOW are they two of the best programs in the country? ONE has a shit stadium, while the other has no stadium at ALL! Neither has a great fan base, and NEITHER develops their own players! Great programs have great coaching staffs, great facilities, great strength and conditioning programs, great nutritional programs, great support staff, such as certified training staff, team physicians, great mobile training facilities, great booster clubs, and great rehab facilities! There are probably more people in the Colquitt booster club, than there are in the STA and ST. J B fan base! All these two bitches are good for, is raping the countryside for the best talent available, in areas with millions of population! 

42 minutes ago, ORabidOne said:

HOW are they two of the best programs in the country? ONE has a shit stadium, while the other has no stadium at ALL! Neither has a great fan base, and NEITHER develops their own players! Great programs have great coaching staffs, great facilities, great strength and conditioning programs, great nutritional programs, great support staff, such as certified training staff, team physicians, great mobile training facilities, great booster clubs, and great rehab facilities! There are probably more people in the Colquitt booster club, than there are in the STA and ST. J B fan base! All these two bitches are good for, is raping the countryside for the best talent available, in areas with millions of population! 

Call those bitches up, see what they make colquitt a son of

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ORabidOne said:

I agree with most of what you say but I've seen Georgia guys bring up the "millions of population" point a lot.  From a CA perspective, that shows a basic misunderstanding of how demographics impacts things.  53% of CA population is Hispanic or Asian descent.  While Hispanics have been increasingly participating in "American" football, it is not the sport of choice amongst that combined demographic.  Plus, there are numerous club level sports  and other activities that pull athletes away from participating at the less capable high school level. 

Add to that, the populous of CA is far less concerned about football than the basically white and black state of Georgia.  In GA there are numerous schools where the stadium capacity is some factor X the school enrollment, in some cases up to 5.   That allows for the entire student body from each school plus several thousand at large fans.  Try finding schools in CA where the stadium could house the enrollment of the school.  

In 2014 when Cen10 hosted BG, the stadium was as full as a game against King, Roosevelt, or Norco.  I think it's a shame that the overwhelming majority of Corona citizens (pop 160,000)are blissfully unaware that a nationally relevant team plays in their own back yard, but it is what it is.  

I appreciate that HS football is more a religion in GA than most anywhere else, but the fact is, with the apathy in CA, the per capita percentage of participants for capable football players is likely not that much higher in CA than GA.   But since we have many more high schools, the talent is dispersed and diluted.  That explains why the privates have to work hard to draw from the limited available talent pool in the local communities.  Public schools despite large populations, have to engage in the tansfer game sometimes only to replenish what they lose.

So please drop the millions more people means there should be lots more good teams argument.  I could make the argument that China with 2 billion people to draw from should have hundreds of teams that should dominate us high schools.  To you, it would be a senseless argument since China doesn't give a _ _ _ _ about American high school football.  Your "millions of population" statement is equally non-sensible to Californians that appreciate HS football and understand the factors that contribute to sustaining successful programs.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, On2whls said:

I agree with most of what you say but I've seen Georgia guys bring up the "millions of population" point a lot.  From a CA perspective, that shows a basic misunderstanding of how demographics impacts things.  53% of CA population is Hispanic or Asian descent.  While Hispanics have been increasingly participating in "American" football, it is not the sport of choice amongst that combined demographic.  Plus, there are numerous club level sports  and other activities that pull athletes away from participating at the less capable high school level. 

Add to that, the populous of CA is far less concerned about football than the basically white and black state of Georgia.  In GA there are numerous schools where the stadium capacity is some factor X the school enrollment, in some cases up to 5.   That allows for the entire student body from each school plus several thousand at large fans.  Try finding schools in CA where the stadium could house the enrollment of the school.  

In 2014 when Cen10 hosted BG, the stadium was as full as a game against King, Roosevelt, or Norco.  I think it's a shame that the overwhelming majority of Corona citizens (pop 160,000)are blissfully unaware that a nationally relevant team plays in their own back yard, but it is what it is.  

I appreciate that HS football is more a religion in GA than most anywhere else, but the fact is, with the apathy in CA, the per capita percentage of participants for capable football players is likely not that much higher in CA than GA.   But since we have many more high schools, the talent is dispersed and diluted.  That explains why the privates have to work hard to draw from the limited available talent pool in the local communities.  Public schools despite large populations, have to engage in the tansfer game sometimes only to replenish what they lose.

So please drop the millions more people means there should be lots more good teams argument.  I could make the argument that China with 2 billion people to draw from should have hundreds of teams that should dominate us high schools.  To you, it would be a senseless argument since China doesn't give a _ _ _ _ about American high school football.  Your "millions of population" statement is equally non-sensible to Californians that appreciate HS football and understand the factors that contribute to sustaining successful programs.

K Cali has over 100,000+ playing football.

GA has about 32,000-34,000

Cali actually has @ 94,000 now. 

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/football-participation-is-down-in-california-now-below-100000-student-athletes/amp

There are schools in California with student body population of 3000 that are predominantly Hispanic. Many of these schools are at the level of schools with 500 student population with all white/black kids.

Its a whole different world out here in Cali since I played in the 70's. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, On2whls said:

Very valid points about the population, however, Rab's post is still correct, that these schools pull from an area containing that population count, regardless of whether the entire population care about football or not.

I think he works for CNN in his spare time to be honest. He advertises for them a lot, and uses the same misleading blanket statement type tactics to fit his agenda. Could be MSNBC, but I think CNN being that he likes to drop their name so much. 

Our old friend Down South said Rab was an ESPN Shiny Suit Man. I think he was close. Had Down South stuck around a bit longer I think he'd have eventually came to the CNN conclusion himself. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

You're too smart and logical to be posting on this site ;) But please keep it up. We need more like you! 

There are plenty of smart and logical folks posting up here, but at times emotion seems to over-ride logic.  I enjoy the insight, and the squabbling when it's obviously done in jest or intended as good clean fun.  Most importantly, it's good to see that people care about the game and want to share.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

On 8/21/2017 at 5:43 PM, tommygun58 said:

Still have my Gretch 1958 jazz kit.Champagne sparkle finish.Added a 2nd floor tom tom(Buddy Rich) in the 70's.Rodgers hi hat,Ludwig base peddle,all Z cymbals.Still put on the head phones & pound to The Who,Frankenstien(E Winter),Chicago,Santana... My neighbors love me.especially the ones with babies.I could never do the bar band stuff any more at 61 but can still hit the skins pretty well.

Had the same set with added toms.  Silver dot heads, Zildjian symbols. Buddy Rich was the best ever.