Ohio Week 1 Predictions/Discussion

Coletrain06

6 minutes ago, hardhit1 said:

PR transfers from someone else on Yappi then reinforced by Jack last week

Gotcha, thanks.

My $0.02 on Colerain.

Absolutely ZERO progress offensively from last year.  The OL is the problem as much as the QB.  Gunnar hurt himself (AGAIN!) and had to be pulled.  Deante Smith-Moore has been moved around for over a year.  It's time to give him the ball as QB1 and move on.  This season will mire itself in mediocrity if Coach Bolden won't let go of Leyendecker as the QB.  To this point, it just hasn't worked.

Also, the # of 2-way players Colerain is playing can't sustain.  Enrollment is dropping and the effects, combined with the drop in football players overall, has caused the Cardinals to play as many as 5 players both ways which is absolutely UNHEARD OF...it has never been this bad in terms of depth.  I expect that will change starting this week.

Finally, X won't score 43 next week, but with their defense, they probably only need 14-17 to win.  Which clearly, they will.

-93CardinalsFan

Week 1 is on that week 1.

StX played well on D, but remember they play that 3-3-5 and 5 of their front 6 are back, but -0- in the defensive secondary. HC really did not try to throw....which I think Colerain will try to do.  Offensively, they actually ran the ball well (especially Fox).  But again, not sure how good Hillsdale Central really is (no scrimmages).  So that leads to the Cardinal-Bomber game this week.  We all know these games are close; do not expect much different this year.  Game's at Colerain - great atmosphere.  

• Like 1

So here's a quick recap of Colerain/La Salle

To understand Colerain's QB situation, you'd have to go back to last year...Colerain had then-junior Gunnar Leyendecker (probably the best Passer Colerain has had in a long time) and then sophomore DSM2 (smaller, but fast, and better option QB.) Gunnar was injured most of last year, and DSM2 filled in. When Gunnar came back, they split time. The option really struggled under Gunnar last year, but ran much better under DSM2.

Now to this season, Gunnar hurt his hamstring in the final scrimmage, but still came out and played a half against La Salle. There was little to no positive yardage. He then injured his shoulder and had to be taken out of the game around half. DSM2 came in and the offense started to move the ball. Colerain started to gain momentum late in the third, then an inopportune fumble turnover killed the momentum... At the end of the game, Colerain had an opportunity...inside their own 10 on 4th and 8 with 40 secs and no timeouts left, Colerain hit a big pass play to take it out to their own 40. So now there's 32 secs left, and DSM2 scrambled around for a big gain out to around the LaSalle 35, and he wasn't going to make it out of bounds, so he flipped it to another Colerain  player, who then tried to flip it to another player, but was fumbled and La Salle recovered with 17 secs left...the laterals certainly didn't seem planned and weren't necessary because the clock would've stopped for 1st down. Colerain would've had 17 secs to take a couple shots at the end zone from La Salle's 35...not sure if it was just panicking in the moment or what.

Overall the defense's were fantastic, and probably featured 2 of the best LB corps in OH.  I think La Salle had 165 total yds, and Colerain had 195 total yds. 

From  a PR perspective, that was probably our most dominant performance ever. We knew this team was gonna be special but to shut down wayne like that was impressive. Wayne's offensive line was massive but none of those kids could move well at all, PR's smaller and quicker D linemen got downhill and got pressure on the QB. PR's defense looks the best in years, and thats saying something because it's been their biggest weakness in past years. They were flying around and hitting kids, and they forced three redzone turnovers I believe. I have no doubt that PR is the number one 6A team in PA. Defensively wayne was playing man and blitzing all game.  Without getting consistent pressure that's a recipe to get 40 dropped on you from jurkovec and fast. BTW wayne players didn't shake PR players hands at the coin toss, that's a great way to piss jurkovec off and doing that isn't a very smart move as you can tell.

Regarding the transfers, Burns (from miami) didn't play because he has yet to practice with PR (he enrolled at school friday). There's a good chance he plays this upcoming friday, probably not starting yet but getting in the game often. White, the main RB you saw and the one guarding lchristian smith on defense (btw held him to 3 catches 28 yds) suffered a mild knee sprain in the first half and didn't return. He's day to day currently. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jack1234 said:

From  a PR perspective, that was probably our most dominant performance ever. We knew this team was gonna be special but to shut down wayne like that was impressive. Wayne's offensive line was massive but none of those kids could move well at all, PR's smaller and quicker D linemen got downhill and got pressure on the QB. PR's defense looks the best in years, and thats saying something because it's been their biggest weakness in past years. They were flying around and hitting kids, and they forced three redzone turnovers I believe. I have no doubt that PR is the number one 6A team in PA. Defensively wayne was playing man and blitzing all game.  Without getting consistent pressure that's a recipe to get 40 dropped on you from jurkovec and fast. BTW wayne players didn't shake PR players hands at the coin toss, that's a great way to piss jurkovec off and doing that isn't a very smart move as you can tell.

Regarding the transfers, Burns (from miami) didn't play because he has yet to practice with PR (he enrolled at school friday). There's a good chance he plays this upcoming friday, probably not starting yet but getting in the game often. White, the main RB you saw and the one guarding lchristian smith on defense (btw held him to 3 catches 28 yds) suffered a mild knee sprain in the first half and didn't return. He's day to day currently. 

Jack, nice post

so one transfer did play and had an impact

thankfully not season ending for White

good luck the rest of the year and keep us posted

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack1234 said:

Nice seeing you here Jack.  I thought Wayne got good pressure and there were a few holds that weren't called, but Jurkovec got away from it easily almost always. He needs to go ahead and call it a season and get ready to enroll early at ND:D

I loved what I saw from the PR defense.  Like you said, kids were flying around and bringing that noise.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack1234 said:

Good analysis .... welcome. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jack1234 said:

I thought PR played fantastic as well. The performance from Jurkovec was to be expected after what I saw from him last year against St. Ed's, but I found the defense far more impressive than last year's bunch. They were really laying some licks. Too bad we couldn't have seen PR-Ed's round two. That was the worst performance I've seen from a Wayne team in years. Did not match the intensity PR brought and couldn't respond to getting punched in the mouth. They looked completely deflated after those two turnovers deep into PR territory, and even the coaches looked panicked, making a horrific call to go for it on fourth down.   Couldn't even score on PR's backups which came in halfway through the third quarter. Wayne will have a lot of work to do to avoid an 0-2 start going on the road to a solid Olentangy Liberty team this weekend.  I can't imagine Wayne is this bad with the talent they have, but they have some soul searching to do. 

17 minutes ago, zulu1128 said:

I hope not...won’t be a great look for an OH  public scrub to roll a NJ public state champ. xD

i think it’ll  be a pretty competitive game. 

I saw McKinley in 7 on 7 have two stud WRs forgot their names .... WH apparently lost a lot to graduation. Can't see this being close. 

@Panama Redcan maybe give his opinion he'd know more than me? 

8 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

I truly don't know about the Solon / Twinsburg. Don't know enough about Twinsburg. What are your thoughts on that  one

Personally, I was a little disappointed that Solon did not dispatch of Aurora more convincingly last week (especially after getting 5 turnovers). Twinsburg returns a lot from last year's team which went 4-6 (but did upset a very good Hudson team), but If Solon does not smoke Twinsburg then expectations need to be tempered way back.