Grayson defeats Hoover 35-26

PrepGridiron

Hoover vs. Grayson, who wins?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you got in this battle of 2016 state champs?

• Grayson Rams
    • Hoover Buccaneers

Let's get this going. This is a rematch from last year's 36-14 win for the Rams. Do the Rams take it again, or does Hoover come into GA and squeak out a victory. Grayson loses their coach and a strong crop from last year's class, but has talent in many of the other classes. Will Hoover's three headed backfield give their offense more firepower. Let's hear your thoughts.

Rankings from PrepGridiron.com Reader Poll as of 8/23.

I think it'll come down to how the Gainesville transfer QB DJ Irons performs. Heard Jkori the backup (junior) had a great fall so we shall see. I like Grayson's talent more across the board and I expect last week's scrimmage to help Grayson shake a bit of rust off as Hoover will come in with no scrimmage. 

I do think Hoover wants this game badly. That coach does for sure. Fiery guy. Losing by 22 at home last year didn't sit well with him and I expect them to be more prepared

I'll take Grayson at home by ten or so.  Give me 31-20

• Like 1

I look for a low scoring game.  20-24 to 14-17. Grayson win. Grayson scored 4 tds with only 25 yards of offense 3 tds were off special team break downs by Hoover. If Hoover can get a cheap td and win turnover battle game will be a toss up.  That's my opinion. Who knows Grayson could win 52-10 or Hoover 24-21.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

I'm thinking it won't be a blow out.  I like our D and special teams again.  The O still has some stuff to work out.  I thought about sending a can of Sticky Hands to the coach this week and then decided he might not see the humor in it.  (We had a bad case of the dropsies during the scrimmage with Douglas Co last week, at least to start with.)  There are plenty on this site saying Grayson will blow Hoover out and I just don't think so.  I could be a high scoring game or it could be a low scoring game but I expect it to be closer than most think it will.

And yes, Outlaw and I plan on meeting before the game.

Im very curious to see how Grayson performs under new HC Christian Hunnicutt.

Last year they were led by a legend... and that brought a lot of confidence with it.

But this year... Christian Hunnicut has only been a HC once before, and that was for 1 year, for a REALLY bad team. So we'll see.

57 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

Im very curious to see how Grayson performs under new HC Christian Hunnicutt.

Last year they were led by a legend... and that brought a lot of confidence with it.

But this year... Christian Hunnicut has only been a HC once before, and that was for 1 year, for a REALLY bad team. So we'll see.

True but it is pretty evident the boys will walk through fire for him so there's that.  I watched him overall manage the game/scrimmage last week and let his coordinators and position coaches do their thing.  I think that is a good thing as there is a far amount of continuity at that level.

4 hours ago, Fred said:

I'm thinking it won't be a blow out.  I like our D and special teams again.  The O still has some stuff to work out.  I thought about sending a can of Sticky Hands to the coach this week and then decided he might not see the humor in it.  (We had a bad case of the dropsies during the scrimmage with Douglas Co last week, at least to start with.)  There are plenty on this site saying Grayson will blow Hoover out and I just don't think so.  I could be a high scoring game or it could be a low scoring game but I expect it to be closer than most think it will.

And yes, Outlaw and I plan on meeting before the game.

Jalen Roach (number 15) is one to watch. That boy put on a show in the Douglas County scrimmage.

4 hours ago, AztecPadre said:

Pigging backing off what Atlien said, Grayson with a good advantage coming off a scrimmage is huge.  Did Hoover not have any sort of scrimmage?  Outlaw?  I say Grayson by 12.

Grayson scrimmaged a pretty bad team. And these things are tightly controlled. That aint gonna be any kind of difference.

13 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

Grayson scrimmaged a pretty bad team. And these things are tightly controlled. That aint gonna be any kind of difference.

Were you there?  It went more like a game than most scrimmages I've seen.  Other than kick offs, they pretty much went at it.  No coaches on the field, full on tackling, etc.

4 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

Grayson's offensive gameplan for Hoover may have to be  "running back by committee" due to Grayson's shaky QB play. Both of their quarterbacks are talented in their own way (DJ Irons is better), but after watching that scrimmage, it's best if they use their 3 running backs for now. 

Irons showed a tendency to run if he didn't see something pretty quick.  I will say that he runs very well.  There were a few times I though he bailed too quick and then got run down.

1 minute ago, Fred said:

Irons showed a tendency to run if he didn't see something pretty quick.  I will say that he runs very well.  There were a few times I though he bailed too quick and then got run down.

Hoovers going to win.

Just by the way you guus are skeptical of the QB play.. I can tell.

7 minutes ago, Fred said:

Were you there?  It went more like a game than most scrimmages I've seen.  Other than kick offs, they pretty much went at it.  No coaches on the field, full on tackling, etc.

The full scrimmage is online. Saw it and agree with Football Guy that besides the busted coverages for Jalen I didn't think Irons looked very good. That's why In my original post I think it's key he has a good game. 

Hoover has always been able to stop the run. Grayson is going to need to mix up and they obviously know that. Keying in on Iron's play

4 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

Hoovers going to win

No they're not. Grayson will by at least ten. They are the more talented football team, ECHS. This is Grayson. Believe in this program. They are going to perform at a higher level than they did against Douglas county. They also got to experience a game over Hoover. It's at home. 

Grayson is going to win this football game. And then they're going into Louisiana and winning that football game too. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ATLien12x said:

The full scrimmage is online. Saw it and agree with Football Guy that besides the busted coverages for Jalen I didn't think Irons looked very good. That's why In my original post I think it's key he has a good game. 

Hoover has always been able to stop the run. Grayson is going to need to mix up and they obviously know that. Keying in on Iron's play

He could have used some more time practicing this summer but you go with what you've got.  At least with his option to run strong, he can keep you honest.  He's good looking athlete for sure.  I think we can win but like I said I don't see a blow out, 7-10 points spread is my thought.