OT: Ban and Firing for Rules Infraction

PrepGridiron

Firing over minor rules infractions  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Should the coach have been fired?

• Yes
    • No

I think Sac-Jaoquin should pull their thong out of their Mangina and toughen up. 

This man broke a few small rules. He didnt hurt anyone. He was doing this for the betterment of his team. Yea it was probably best that he followed the rules. But he didnt do anything. Its not lile he was recruiting or getting illegal transfers. One thing Ive noticed is the CIF stays on Norcals ass.... didnt they ban Clayton Valley from the playoffs? 

But they arent investigating how these Socal Privates are staying so damn loaded or where all these transfers are coming from. I mean look Public to Public transfer is sketchy enough but you mean to tell me these kids can go Public to Private in a heartbeat and nobodies bothered to look at how he got the money or if someone recruited him? 

But you fire a man for Breaking a few small rules to help his team get better? 

Im glad to see where Californias priority's lie... 

Just now, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

I think Sac-Jaoquin should pull their thong out of their Mangina and toughen up. 

This man broke a few small rules. He didnt hurt anyone. He was doing this for the betterment of his team. Yea it was probably best that he followed the rules. But he didnt do anything. Its not lile he was recruiting or getting illegal transfers. One thing Ive noticed is the CIF stays on Norcals ass.... didnt they ban Clayton Valley from the playoffs? 

But they arent investigating how these Socal Privates are staying so damn loaded or where all these transfers are coming from. I mean look Public to Public transfer is sketchy enough but you mean to tell me these kids can go Public to Private in a heartbeat and nobodies bothered to look at how he got the money or if someone recruited him? 

But you fire a man for Breaking a few small rules to help his team get better? 

Im glad to see where Californias priority's lie... 

From what I've seen, NorCal is definitely strict on the rules. I'm sure someone smarter than me can expand on why there is a perceived difference between transfers in the NCS (as an example) versus the SS.

2 hours ago, Ararar said:

Yes he should be fired.He has broken these rules 5 times in 2 years obviously not having any regard for them.If everyone else has to follow them so does he.

These are petty rules though... 

Like hell out here he wouldve been fine. 

But he got fired for something so damn petty its senseless. 

Again if he was recruiting I'd understand. If he was physically or mentally abusing his players I'd understand. 

But he didnt do any of that...  

The CIF is out trying to crucify this man for trying to do his job! 

Meanwhile Socal is getting away with everything in the book. 

Now this is just an example situation: 

Lets say SJB and MD get caught recruiting or getting illegal transfers. 

Would you support them banning SJB and MD from the playoffs and firing their coaches?  

Or would you be against it? 

15 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

What gets me is the person that recorded the practice only to send it in to the commissioner.  Petty snitches.  Can't stand that shit. Yes he violated rules for using the wrong kind of pad?  Lol.  Lord help me.  

Its common... 

People are like crabs in a bucket. If one crab tries to get out to escape. Another crab will grab it and yank it back down. 

Because they hate to see another crab do what they cant. Or do better than them.... 

The CIF is stupid... and the school principal is even worse. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Ararar said:

Yes he should be fired.He has broken these rules 5 times in 2 years obviously not having any regard for them.If everyone else has to follow them so does he.

Agreed. Once or twice you could give him a break. But 5 x's, that's the coach saying f-it I'll do whatever the hell I want. 

On 8/23/2017 at 0:12 AM, PrepGridiron said:

@ThunderRam this is your neck of the woods. What say you?

This has been a hot topic on the NorCal board. I have mixed feelings about it.

On one hand, I understand the POV that these coaches should know and understand the rules, no matter how trivial, and be accountable when they don't. In this case, the head coach, Paul Doherty, and staff reportedly committed 5 violations in 2 1/2 years and were already on probation. When you're on probation, there's really no excuse for not ensuring that you cross all I's and dot all T's. You need to be letter perfect, and they weren't. And they put themselves in that position. Self-inflicted.

Having said that, I find it bush league that an angry parent or alumni or even a mole from another program filmed their practices with the sole intent on ratting them out. It's truly unfortunate that we now live in a day and age where anything you do can and very likely will be captured by a cell phone camera. It's beyond ridiculous.

Lastly, I'm disgusted by the post-season ban handed down because it doesn't at all punish the guilty party and instead only hurts the players, students, alumni and new coaching staff that didn't do anything wrong. Those that broke the rules aren't part of the program anymore. So what sense does it make to ban the kids from participating in the postseason? Their Seniors won't get this season back and they can't up and transfer to another school.

IMO, the only just action is to ban the former head coach (and possibly his staff) for a specified length of time, no matter where he/they may end up. The punishment should follow him/them. Sure, the CIF didn't fire Doherty and had Whitney High School's AD not done so -- he could still be the head coach there. But the CIF could make this a helluva lot easier and more fair by banning the head coach and staff from postseason play instead. If the school still intends to retain them, then they miss the postseason. But if they fire them, they then become eligible. It should be their choice. In this case, they made the choice to fire them so the CIF should do the right thing and allow these kids to participate should they qualify (they're supposed to be a contender for the D2 section title).

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, PrepGridiron said:

From what I've seen, NorCal is definitely strict on the rules. I'm sure someone smarter than me can expand on why there is a perceived difference between transfers in the NCS (as an example) versus the SS.

Yeah, NorCal and SoCal certainly seem to be playing by different rules. We get hammered up here in ways they just don't down South. Doesn't make much sense to me. But it is what it is.

A couple years back, a player named Cole Hannum transferred from Marysville HS to Nevada Union after a legal move and change of residence into NU's borders. However, the San-Joaquin Section commissioner at the time (Pete Saco) determined that he followed a coach and he was ruled ineligible for his entire Senior season. If Hannum had done the same in SoCal, I have little doubt he'd have been fine. Luckily, he still was able to land a scholarship to Sac State. But still, it's quite ridiculous up here at times.

15 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

But he got fired for something so damn petty its senseless. 

Again if he was recruiting I'd understand. If he was physically or mentally abusing his players I'd understand. 

But he didnt do any of that...  

The CIF is out trying to crucify this man for trying to do his job!

While I agree that the infractions seem to be minor and petty, let's be clear about one thing. The coach wasn't fired by the CIF or directly due to the multiple infractions. Whitney High's AD is the one that chose to fire the coach, which he claims was a very tough decision. But he could still be the head coach regardless of the CIF's decision to ban the football program from postseason play.

15 minutes ago, ThunderRam said:

While I agree that the infractions seem to be minor and petty, let's be clear about one thing. The coach wasn't fired by the CIF or directly due to the multiple infractions. Whitney High's AD is the one that chose to fire the coach, which he claims was a very tough decision. But he could still be the head coach regardless of the CIF's decision to ban the football program from postseason play.

Well the AD is a jackass... 

On 8/24/2017 at 0:36 AM, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Well the AD is a jackass... 

Not really. How many times can a coach violate a rule. He was on probation and his violations banned the team from playoffs. He needed to be canned. Just becuse the players like him doesn't make it ok to break rules. We all may think the rules are weak but they still have to be followed. 

On 8/24/2017 at 0:12 AM, ThunderRam said:

Yeah, NorCal and SoCal certainly seem to be playing by different rules. We get hammered up here in ways they just don't down South. Doesn't make much sense to me. But it is what it is.

A couple years back, a player named Cole Hannum transferred from Marysville HS to Nevada Union after a legal move and change of residence into NU's borders. However, the San-Joaquin Section commissioner at the time (Pete Saco) determined that he followed a coach and he was ruled ineligible for his entire Senior season. If Hannum had done the same in SoCal, I have little doubt he'd have been fine. Luckily, he still was able to land a scholarship to Sac State. But still, it's quite ridiculous up here at times.

I think there are more schools willing to challenge a transfer up north than Down south.Schools for the most part don't care if a kid wants to leave in the Los Angeles area although in the last two years IE schools have challenged major transfers and succeeded 

• Like 1