Court has ruled coach cant pray on field

HSFBfan

The Benny Hinn's of the world get away with crafting corporations that bring in millions tax free under the religious umbrella ( openly spewing their religious propaganda in the public domain ) while actually using s a large chunk of the funds for their own gain... yet an honorable hard working individual, who actually lives his life with the best of intentions with a positive influence on a highly influenced generation gets screwed.

Someone please explain the logic behind this. It is so far beyond the left that is its absolutely absurd.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sportsnut said:

You guy's call me liberal but I think prayer should be in school. It should be everywhere at anytime. All our players take a knee after their entrance. Pray, meditate, whatever you do. If the Pledge has God in it, we should be allowed to pray to him. Our money has it on it but we can't pray to him. He got us to the game safely. He gave the kids their talents. The ability to do anything came from him but according to man's law, because we are at school, we can't, 

Kiss Off

Trust me they will go after the Pledge next. 

36 minutes ago, Sportsnut said:

You guy's call me liberal but I think prayer should be in school. It should be everywhere at anytime. All our players take a knee after their entrance. Pray, meditate, whatever you do. If the Pledge has God in it, we should be allowed to pray to him. Our money has it on it but we can't pray to him. He got us to the game safely. He gave the kids their talents. The ability to do anything came from him but according to man's law, because we are at school, we can't, 

Kiss Off

What do you think about the ORIGINAL Pledge of Allegiance?

You know...the one that DIDN'T have "under God" in it......

Rufus>>

1 hour ago, Sportsnut said:

Kiss Off

Holy shit you are coming around. But you still voted for that pansy twice but look who the hell the GOP put up: lying john mccain and wimpy phony rino mitt romney. 

We still have public  prayer before every game at Mack Tharpe. I don't really feel one way or the other about it personally. I give them their moment. 

The problem with the religious types in this country is they don't want to reciprocate. If I gave them their moment, they should give me mine. Figuratively speaking of course. 

14 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

We still have public  prayer before every game at Mack Tharpe. I don't really feel one way or the other about it personally. I give them their moment. 

The problem with the religious types in this country is they don't want to reciprocate. If I gave them their moment, they should give me mine. Figuratively speaking of course. 

Good luck with that my man.  

Not sure how they can enforce a moment of silence.  During that moment, those who want to pray should pray.  Those who don't won't.   Nobody has to know about what they are thinking or praying.  Unless they advertise the praying thing and make it a focal point. 

Personally, don't care what they do or don't do.  Not sure why anyone would.  

Just now, World Citizen said:

Good luck with that my man.  

Not sure how they can enforce a moment of silence.  During that moment, those who want to pray should pray.  Those who don't won't.   Nobody has to know about what they are thinking or praying.  Unless they advertise the praying thing and make it a focal point. 

Personally, don't care what they do or don't do.  Not sure why anyone would.  

There is literally an invocation over the loud speaker here. Usually a teen religious leader from one of the churches. 

Like I said, I don't really feel one way or the other about it. I give them their moment. I listen as they pray for safety of the players etc., and then wonder what they think when players still get hurt and what not, but I remain silent and respectful in giving them their moment.

They seldom ever return the favor, which is why they suffer these legal challenges etc. Just my opinion.

If they were more willing to reciprocate, then the ones being offended and filing complaints may not have or feel the need to take legal actions. 

Just now, HawgGoneIt said:

There is literally an invocation over the loud speaker here. Usually a teen religious leader from one of the churches. 

Like I said, I don't really feel one way or the other about it. I give them their moment. I listen as they pray for safety of the players etc., and then wonder what they think when players still get hurt and what not, but I remain silent and respectful in giving them their moment.

They seldom ever return the favor, which is why they suffer these legal challenges etc. Just my opinion.

If they were more willing to reciprocate, then the ones being offended and filing complaints may not have or feel the need to take legal actions. 

I hear you.  I think all churches should either pay taxes or pay for health care.  If they do neither, then they should STFU about anything.  

13 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

I dont know about your states or areas but at all my sons games we say an our father over the sound system and both teams and fans pray along.  

Article said a "student observer" noticed him praying.  What a dick.  I'll bet if the whole team + coach went to mid-field and prayed it would have been ok. Maybe not.  

It seems like a complicated issue: the separation of church and state vs. freedom of religion. 

We want to keep religion out of our public institutions, but we want to protect our citizens' right to practice their religion.  

The judges know the law better than I do. But it's difficult for me to see why this particular action should be illegal. 

12 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

It seems like a complicated issue: the separation of church and state vs. freedom of religion. 

We want to keep religion out of our public institutions, but we want to protect our citizens' right to practice their religion.  

The judges know the law better than I do. But it's difficult for me to see why this particular action should be illegal. 

The laws sometimes have no common sense built in them.  And the fact that some people have nothing better to do.  

• Like 1

I think it isn't "illegal" until someone files a complaint. The reason it gets ruled against time and again, is a public school is tax payer funded, and believe it or not, some tax payers are secular and believe the government was intended to be. 

It does seem silly to file a complaint about a coach just taking a knee in the middle of the field. Until he said what he was doing, there could only be guesses that he was praying or whatever. It does also seem silly that so many people complain about a Kaepernick taking a knee as well though. Being a free country and all you know. 

It's only free if it's not offending you or me right? Not saying coach offended me, but he obviously offended someone. So he got what he got. Kaepernick offended someone too, so he got what he got too. 

I do see both sides of the issue though. On the one hand it seems silly to not let the coach have his moment, but on the other, it can seem to be a clear encroachment of religion upon government institutions. I kinda fall in line with he shouldn't make a public display of it on taxpayer owned property. 

7 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I think it isn't "illegal" until someone files a complaint. The reason it gets ruled against time and again, is a public school is tax payer funded, and believe it or not, some tax payers are secular and believe the government was intended to be. 

It does seem silly to file a complaint about a coach just taking a knee in the middle of the field. Until he said what he was doing, there could only be guesses that he was praying or whatever. It does also seem silly that so many people complain about a Kaepernick taking a knee as well though. Being a free country and all you know. 

It's only free if it's not offending you or me right? Not saying coach offended me, but he obviously offended someone. So he got what he got. Kaepernick offended someone too, so he got what he got too. 

I do see both sides of the issue though. On the one hand it seems silly to not let the coach have his moment, but on the other, it can seem to be a clear encroachment of religion upon government institutions. I kinda fall in line with he shouldn't make a public display of it on taxpayer owned property. 

Kap is getting screwed imo and I agree with his position.  Not sure he reads a NFL defense very well but in the right scheme he could be a competent backup.  

The appearance of praying is against the law?  Seems a reach to me and if I were to take a moment and kneel down I wouldn't be praying to GOD but I would in violation just the same.  Sometimes I'm even sleeping and it looks like I'm praying.  So...

I'm not a public servant but if I was I'm sure I would be sleeping on occasion. 😏

5 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Not all taxpayers are theists. But some are. So that in itself can't decide anything.

It's pretty clear from even a quick reading of the Constitution that its authors wanted to separate religion from public institutions; but it's just as clear that they wanted to protect religious practice. 

I don't see how we're protecting the right to practice one's religion by punishing a state employees who was otherwise in good standing from kneeling in the middle of a field and saying a quick prayer.

If I wear a cross to school -- I work at a public university -- should I be reprimanded for making a public display of my religion? Without any argument, it feels like that would be a a pretty clear case of the state's failing to protect my right to practice my religion. And as I write this, I don't see the difference between wearing a cross to work and saying a prayer after a football game. 

On 8/25/2017 at 0:22 AM, Belly Bob said:

Not all taxpayers are theists. But some are. So that in itself can't decide anything.

It's pretty clear from even a quick reading of the Constitution that its authors wanted to separate religion from public institutions; but it's just as clear that they wanted to protect religious practice. 

I don't see how we're protecting the right to practice one's religion by punishing a state employees who was otherwise in good standing from kneeling in the middle of a field and saying a quick prayer.

If I wear a cross to school -- I work at a public university -- should I be reprimanded for making a public display of my religion? Without any argument, it feels like that would be a a pretty clear case of the state's failing to protect my right to practice my religion. And as I write this, I don't see the difference between wearing a cross to work and saying a prayer after a football game. 

When I was employed by the state! They prohibited anyone from having any type of religious or political bumper stickers, on their private vehicles!

18 hours ago, ORabidOne said:

When I was employed by the state! They prohibited anyone from having any type of religious or political bumper stickers, on their private vehicles!

Depending on the nature of the job, I can understand the rationale for the policy.

But whether it's constitutional or not is an entirely different question. 

I'm not an expert -- not even close -- but I can't imagine its being legal to terminate someone who was otherwise in good standing for having a religious sticker on his private vehicle.