Is 1988 Dallas Carter HS greatest team ever?

1DayPGA

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/_NqX_FBdLk-7peFl55RsAw/is-1988-dallas-carter-high-school-football-team-the-best-ever.htm

Great question by Max Preps and I don't think you can pick one without being bias. I think Dallas Carter had a ton of talent but if you looked at their 1988 season record they won one game by 1 point another game 7-0 and tied a game that season. For those reasons I would not pick them as greatest hs team ever. Other teams for consideration would be 2008 STA with all that talent or 2005 Lakeland. You could probably include Allen when they had their run with K. Murray at the helm. 2001 Long Beach Poly with their Fab 5 All Americans where I think all 5 were drafted in the NFL but they were beat by De LaSalle who had Maurice Jones Drew and company, perhaps DLS's  99 team with DJ Williams, Matt Guttierez, Kevin Simon, Derik Landri  etc. that went on to play in the NFL or get drafted could lay claim to the greatest hs team. Bishop Gorman with Martell at the helm and their undefeated season against a national schedule would sure be in contention. Along with Don Bosco Prep during their powerhouse years and let's not forget 2013 St. John Bosco a few years back when they had Rosen at QB and a host of talent on squad. All these teams and more could try to lay claim.

This question is definitely up for debate.       

I like Dallas Carter, but I've long felt the narrative and D1 recruits have over taken the on field play. Far from the only team where that's true and not uncommon in hs. If you ask me 99.99 of the high school teams that are mythologized around the country are overrated in at least some regard. There's quite a few teams in Texas that have been better than '88 Carter.

From reputation it must be the Gerry Faust's 1976 Moeller team which had 26 players receive scholarships including an even 15 who went major 1A.  Over three years almost every single player on that team had a football scholarship.  Over the next four years (four national championships in five years) it led Faust to become the head coach at Notre Dame.

The best high school team I have ever seen in person (from 35 years of heavy travel for business) is one of three:

1.  Gerry Faust's 1980 Moeller-his last year before Notre Dame.

2.  Ronald Curry's jr year at Mike Smith's Hampton, Va (1996?) when he was a first team All America in BOTH football and basketball.  They averaged almost 65 points a game and won the VA state title over an undefeated team by 60.

3.  Mike Pettine's 1998 Central Bucks West who I will argue may be the best Pennsylvania team ever.

I also saw Cleveland St. Ignatius blow out Berwick in their first game at Berwick and have long thought that Iggy's best year in the early '90's would have them included in any list.  One of the De La Salle teams and one of the Katy teams seem like they should be in this list, too.

Problem is that I can't imagine any of the three teams I listed losing to anyone else.  Of course there is also someone reading this who is going to say what about Valdosta (as noted above)?  Or St. Thomas Aquinas?  

Then, for its time, there was a Paul Brown team as Massillon that was unreal.

• Like 1

100 percent agree. While this is a fun kind of a subject to debate, there really is no answer. The best one can can ever come up with are the teams they had the experience watching in their area. After witnessing the 91 Poly squad play, I could never envision them losing to the 71 Valdosta squad for example... yet Valdosta may have been that good. I will never know because I never saw them play. I think the best we can ever hope  for is to rate the teams in the areas we know. As previously pointed out just Texas alone could probably debate a bunch of teams to rival Carter.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gospeeder said:

100 percent agree. While this is a fun kind of a subject to debate, there really is no answer. The best one can can ever come up with are the teams they had the experience watching in their area. After witnessing the 91 Poly squad play, I could never envision them losing to the 71 Valdosta squad for example... yet Valdosta may have been that good. I will never know because I never saw them play. I think the best we can ever hope  for is to rate the teams in the areas we know. As previously pointed out just Texas alone could probably debate a bunch of teams to rival Carter.

Exactly. Hell, we can't 100 percent know what the best team in the country is on a yearly basis. All-time? Come on....

2 hours ago, BigDrop said:

From reputation it must be the Gerry Faust's 1976 Moeller team which had 26 players receive scholarships including an even 15 who went major 1A.  Over three years almost every single player on that team had a football scholarship.  Over the next four years (four national championships in five years) it led Faust to become the head coach at Notre Dame.

The best high school team I have ever seen in person (from 35 years of heavy travel for business) is one of three:

2.  Ronald Curry's jr year at Mike Smith's Hampton, Va (1996?) when he was a first team All America in BOTH football and basketball.  They averaged almost 65 points a game and won the VA state title over an undefeated team by 60.

3.  Mike Pettine's 1998 Central Bucks West who I will argue may be the best Pennsylvania team ever.

I also saw Cleveland St. Ignatius blow out Berwick in their first game at Berwick and have long thought that Iggy's best year in the early '90's would have them included in any list.  One of the De La Salle teams and one of the Katy teams seem like they should be in this list, too.

Problem is that I can't imagine any of the three teams I listed losing to anyone else.  Of course there is also someone reading this who is going to say what about Valdosta (as noted above)?  Or St. Thomas Aquinas?  

Curry was an absolute phenom in hs. Wasn't he a 2 time A.A.. I really thought he was under utilized in the NFL.

I do remember Central Bucks West. Didn't they have a bruiser RB named Dustin Piccoletti. (sp) who later went to Pitt. Seems like after the late 90's CBW & Berwick for that matter were no longer national contenders. What happened?

30 minutes ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

Exactly. Hell, we can't 100 percent know what the best team in the country is on a yearly basis. All-time? Come on....

I agree, but it's kinda like playing the Lotto. It's fun to sit there and think about it. Esp. on the eve of the opening weekend for most teams.

3 hours ago, 1DayPGA said:

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/_NqX_FBdLk-7peFl55RsAw/is-1988-dallas-carter-high-school-football-team-the-best-ever.htm

Great question by Max Preps and I don't think you can pick one without being bias. I think Dallas Carter had a ton of talent but if you looked at their 1988 season record they won one game by 1 point another game 7-0 and tied a game that season. For those reasons I would not pick them as greatest hs team ever. Other teams for consideration would be 2008 STA with all that talent or 2005 Lakeland. You could probably include Allen when they had their run with K. Murray at the helm. 2001 Long Beach Poly with their Fab 5 All Americans where I think all 5 were drafted in the NFL but they were beat by De LaSalle who had Maurice Jones Drew and company, perhaps DLS's  99 team with DJ Williams, Matt Guttierez, Kevin Simon, Derik Landri  etc. that went on to play in the NFL or get drafted could lay claim to the greatest hs team. Bishop Gorman with Martell at the helm and their undefeated season against a national schedule would sure be in contention. Along with Don Bosco Prep during their powerhouse years and let's not forget 2013 St. John Bosco a few years back when they had Rosen at QB and a host of talent on squad. All these teams and more could try to lay claim.

What does talent hafta do with WINNING? In 1994, I watched a sparsely talented Valdosta team in the Georgia Dome, run through Quincy Carter lead Southwest Dekalb, like they were putty! 

33 minutes ago, Gospeeder said:

I don't want to disrespect the 71 Valdosta team but I just have hard time imagining they could hang with say last year's Bishop Gorman team. Just for the fact that nowadays there are kids that transfer, kids are bigger, weight training/conditioning, also plays a big part. I would say it's like trying to compare the undefeated 72 Miami Dolphins against last year's Patriots. I would go with the Patriots everytime. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigDrop said:

2014 Colquitt was more talented than THAT, and THEY didn't recruit shit outta the universe like Moeller did! On that Colquitt squad, was no less than FORTY scholie athletes who would sign in either 2015 or 2016! And while Gerry's boys were going DI at Merryland, Duke, Indiana, Illinois and the like! Colquitt's were signing with Navy, Arkansas, South Carolina, Tennessee, Ga. Southern, South Alabama, App. State, Middle Tennessee State, Kentucky, and Central Florida!

And not a DAMN one of the teams you mentioned, played with LOCAL talent! They try to make a mockery outta HIGH SCHOOL football! You people on the East Coast have NO concept of high school ball! Other than how many people you can recruit from far and wide! Those coaches couldn't coach the Colquitt seventh grade team! When Faust got to Notre Dame, EVERYBODY saw what a clown he was, when he had to go against OTHER teams who recruited on the same level as he did!

Why do you think that coaches in Ohio, Jersey, and Md. don't come SOUTH for a payday? It's because they KNOW that they are a FARCE! When this coach from Oscar Davis gets his Marietta team to the playoffs! He gonna find out he ain't IN ole Virginnie anymore!

And MASSILLON, with their NINE NATIONAL TITLES?xD Those clowns have never won a STATE TITLE on the field of play! 

And you don't think that 2015 Colquitt was not among, if not the best offensive team in national high school football history? You need to get that Northern bias outta your butt! How many of those teams you mentioned, played THREE playoff teams back, to back, to back, and scored 131 points? And these teams were a cummulative 39-1! Two being ranked in the TOP TWENTY FIVE of the frickin NATION! These were ALL on the road, 200 plus miles each! That 2015 Colquitt team set the all time GHSA big school scoring record, set by our 2014 team, at 715 points! And they weren't playing the sister's of the poor, like many of those Northern teams do for a majority of the season! DAMN CHUMP, Massillon never PLAYED but TEN game schedules! Are you FOR REAL?  Los Tigres only has 900 students!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You need to get offin that CRACK!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ORabidOne said:

2014 Colquitt was more talented than THAT, and THEY didn't recruit shit outta the universe like Moeller did! On that Colquitt squad, was no less than FORTY scholie athletes who would sign in either 2015 or 2016! And while Gerry's boys were going DI at Merryland, Duke, Indiana, Illinois and the like! Colquitt's were signing with Navy, Arkansas, South Carolina, Tennessee, Ga. Southern, South Alabama, App. State, Middle Tennessee State, Kentucky, and Central Florida!

And not a DAMN one of the teams you mentioned, played with LOCAL talent! They try to make a mockery outta HIGH SCHOOL football! You people on the East Coast have NO concept of high school ball! Other than how many people you can recruit from far and wide! Those coaches couldn't coach the Colquitt seventh grade team! When Faust got to Notre Dame, EVERYBODY saw what a clown he was, when he had to go against OTHER teams who recruited on the same level as he did!

Why do you think that coaches in Ohio, Jersey, and Md. don't come SOUTH for a payday? It's because they KNOW that they are a FARCE! When this coach from Oscar Davis gets his Marietta team to the playoffs! He gonna find out he ain't IN ole Virginnie anymore!

I bet you convinced them right there 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 1DayPGA said:

Good lists going back to '88, hard to compare eras but have to think the superteams are more modern phenomenon

you could go back just 5-10 more years and include Moellers dynasty years

dls has one other team in discussion in ''03 -- the team with Terrence Kelly in movie/ book/ life -- TJ Ward was a good role player (before getting injured) -- their highest D1 class ever

i think with the advent of IMG and the Uber recruiters in hot beds, that we'll regularly see those types of teams going forward