PrepGridiron

DLS/SJC  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Will De La Salle avoid another OOS loss?

• No, another black eye for California
    • Yes...finally

1 hour ago, PrepGridiron said:

@NicholasMalibu what more can you tell us about SJC. I know they've got some offensive pieces in Doyle and Robinson and Jefferson to protect them but how are their receivers? doesn't casemento run a more pass oriented offense? what do they bring on defense? they've got the sherman kid and goode up front but what do they have on the second level?

Receivers are pretty talented. Best of the bunch are probably 4* WR Rakim Jarrett and 3* WR Quinten Johnson. Jarrett could be special. Both will play power 5. 

DB's a pretty good also. Not too sure what they are doing at safety, but the DB's are 3* DJ Brown(Virginia commit), Aman Greenwood(Boston College and Syracuse offers), and another FBS level underclassman DB whose name escapes me right now. They'll be fast back there. 

On the DL they also have OLB Okechukwu who I believe is committed to Arizona. I know he's offered and high on them. 

The LB's will be young. We will find out a lot about them Friday. They lost their 4* ILB Shane Lee to SFA. That one stung bad.

The back up QB is going to be very good also. Malakai Anthony(dual threat). 

They have a very good kicker. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, golfaddict1 said:

Or they get a nice W.  It's been awhile since they lost at home OOS (not sure when their last loss was at home actually).  

Last year to east

before that, lakeland '09

DBP '08

missiom Viejo '05

xlovis west '04

One before that was in 80s -- DBP legend is they broke a 20+ year home winning streak in '08 -- not true

2 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Or they get a nice W.  It's been awhile since they lost at home OOS (not sure when their last loss was at home actually).  

Last year vs East. Nevermind. Obviously it was answered way before me. Either way it starts late for y'all on the weak coast but you know you will still be glued to the tv. Lol

13 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Yea I goofed.  My bad.  Not sure why I thought the East game was in UT.  My brain was thinking Lakeland as the last loss.   

Whoever wins will have a nice W and these schools will be connected again when SJC plays Dematha (perhaps 2x) and DLS plays Bishop Gorman :).  

Don't forget SJC plays SJB in DC so there will be a real nice daisy chain.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

Don't forget SJC plays SJB in DC so there will be a real nice daisy chain.

First 5 weeks of sjc schedule prob hardest first 5 weeks for any schedule of all time. 

Orlando Jones - weakest of 5 but loaded with D1 players 

DLS- 3,000 miles away 

sjr home 

img in Florida 

sjb home 

7 minutes ago, Mjd33 said:

First 5 weeks of sjc schedule prob hardest first 5 weeks for any schedule of all time. 

Orlando Jones - weakest of 5 but loaded with D1 players 

DLS- 3,000 miles away 

sjr home 

img in Florida 

sjb home 

Agreed

thats 2 top 5 and 2 other top 10 ish teams in first 5 games, along with a lower ranked stacked roster 

6 minutes ago, Pops said:

Agreed

thats 2 top 5 and 2 other top 10 ish teams in first 5 games, along with a lower ranked stacked roster 

I don't think either dls or sjr are top 10 teams. I'd put Both prob in 20-30 range right now. 

Sjr tough game against DFB and obviously dls playing sjc so after this week we will know more. 

5 minutes ago, Mjd33 said:

I don't think either dls or sjr are top 10 teams. I'd put Both prob in 20-30 range right now. 

Sjr tough game against DFB and obviously dls playing sjc so after this week we will know more. 

I'm only going by what the existing polls say -- also why I added "ish"

sjr in top 10, although seemingly with no endorsement from the home team

dls dropped from 10th to 11th in comp this week -- whether right or wrong, everyone has them higher than you

if they lose to SJC, I'll agree with you -- if they beat BG, assume you'll agree with me -- we'll know soon enough on both

10 minutes ago, Pops said:

I'm only going by what the existing polls say -- also why I added "ish"

sjr in top 10, although seemingly with no endorsement from the home team

dls dropped from 10th to 11th in comp this week -- whether right or wrong, everyone has them higher than you

if they lose to SJC, I'll agree with you -- if they beat BG, assume you'll agree with me -- we'll know soon enough on both

Ever think the polls are wrong? 

What do we know .... 

dls returns lot of starters from a team that lost to East Utah. East Utah returned everyone and just got run out of the stadium by bingham. Can't consider dls top 10 right know. 

Sjr will be very solid but prob a legit skill position guy or 2 to be considered top 10. 

Even Bergen Catholic a legit D linemen or 2 away From being a top 10 team. BCs best d linemen was asked to leave a 4 star JR with very high ceiling. 

To me top 10 is elite of the elite. The STA's, MDs, img, BG, SJB etc .... they are the probable top 10 list which means only 5 spots up for grabs in the rest of the country..... think about that. Top 10 is the best of the best. Gotta think a Texas team (or 2) prob in that list. Grayson beat a good Hoover team so probably have to include them. Despite losing to BG, I still think dematha is probably at the back end of top 10. 

How many spots left 1-2? Don't forget Trinity KY is going to probably run the table after getting past warren central. They are prob in too toward back end of top 10. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mjd33 said:

What do we know .... 

dls returns lot of starters from a team that lost to East Utah. East Utah returned everyone and just got run out of the stadium by bingham. Can't consider dls top 10 right know. 

Sjr will be very solid but prob a legit skill position guy or 2 to be considered top 10. 

Even Bergen Catholic a legit D linemen or 2 away From being a top 10 team. BCs best d linemen was asked to leave a 4 star JR with very high ceiling. 

To me top 10 is elite of the elite. The STA's, MDs, img, BG, SJB etc .... they are the probable top 10 list which means only 5 spots up for grabs in the rest of the country..... think about that. Top 10 is the best of the best. Gotta think a Texas team (or 2) prob in that list. Grayson beat a good Hoover team so probably have to include them. Despite losing to BG, I still think dematha is probably at the back end of top 10. 

How many spots left 1-2? Don't forget Trinity KY is going to probably run the table after getting past warren central. They are prob in too toward back end of top 10. 

I can agree that DLS's top 10 ranking might be a little high until proven otherwise. But let us remember that more than half of their starters last season were sophomores or juniors. Sophomores and juniors that are highly touted going forward. And I know everyone jokes about DLS getting better by years' end, but they did last year.  You can't tell me that the team that barely beat SRV, Servite, Antioch...and lost to East was the same team that put up 400 yards and 33 points on SJB.

I personally think that DLS will handle SJC.  DLS's front seven is going to wreck havoc on SJC's offense.  SJC isn't running anything DLS hasn't seen.  If DLS can execute the veer, which SJC has likely never seen before, I predict DLS by 2 TDs.  I think everyone, minus the polls, are underestimating what DLS will bring.  Now it's time to put up!

24 minutes ago, Mjd33 said:

What do we know .... 

I'm not going to argue that DLS ought to be in the top 10 if that's what you're goading me into 

We'll see

i will say that your logic about east andnlast year and returning players and Bingham seems awfully convoluted

i prefer to simplify things and say DLS was no lower than 7th in final polls from '10-'15 and this team closer to those teams than 2016 when DLS was somewhere between 25 and 50 IMHO

i am familiar with elite teams as I've had an opportunity to see several up close -- IMHO, seems like there's a consensus top 5 and then about 10-15 good candidates for the next spots.  There could be more separation between #5 and 6 than #6 and 20 right now (how many points would you need to bet Grayson over IMG right now?)

11 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

33 points on SJB

Sjb won the state title 2 weeks earlier against mater Dei.... and the week before that beat Corona centennial. They knew dls couldn't beat them and Played complacent and still were never not in control of the game. Went through the motions against dls..... checked the box and got the trophy. But they cleared the biggest hurdle (s) weeks prior. 

18 minutes ago, Mjd33 said:

Sjb won the state title 2 weeks earlier against mater Dei.... and the week before that beat Corona centennial. They knew dls couldn't beat them and Played complacent and still were never not in control of the game. Went through the motions against dls..... checked the box and got the trophy. But they cleared the biggest hurdle (s) weeks prior. 

Yeah. That's it. Just like IMG was going through the motions with CC.  Don't give me that BS that they were just going through the motions.  They were down 7-0 within 2 minutes.  You haters kill me9_9

1 hour ago, Mjd33 said:

If you thought the read on the trick play on the kickoff was complacent, I'd hate to see SJB in serious mode. They were prepared and came to play that night. All business. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mjd33 said:

What do we know .... 

[...]

Did East return everyone?

If so, you make a good point here.

Now you've got me worried. 

4 minutes ago, Mjd33 said:

East biggest loss was  the stud rb graduated.

Right, but I read that the returners on the o-line, together with the new backs, meant that East wouldn't skip a beat.

The stream didn't work for me last week, but the score suggests that East doesn't belong in the same category as Bingham, which might have implications for where DLS (doesn't) belong(s). 

33 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

If you thought the read on the trick play on the kickoff was complacent, I'd hate to see SJB in serious mode. They were prepared and came to play that night. All business. 

It's Easy to get your kids to practice hard and buy in when playing a team that beat you few weeks earlier in mater dei. 

Harder to keep your kids attention and emotion up after the high of beating mater dei wears off plus next you know you are playing a team that should of probably lost to a team you beat 70-6 in Servite. Yes, that's 70-6.