PrepGridiron

DLS/SJC  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Will De La Salle avoid another OOS loss?

• No, another black eye for California
    • Yes...finally

3 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

Right, but I read that the returners on the o-line, together with the new backs, meant that East wouldn't skip a beat.

The stream didn't work for me last week, but the score suggests that East doesn't belong in the same category as Bingham, which might have implications for where DLS (doesn't) belong(s). 

Agree.... stream only worked in first half for me too but the east/bingham result tells us most would short the de la salle stock being traded at a top 10 national team price. 

6 hours ago, PrepGridiron said:

That game wasn't actually played at DLS' field. East and Bosco were. Interesting though, the three losses (East, Lakeland, DBP) have all been decided in the waning moments of the game by a field goal or failed conversion. Not sure how much you can read into that, but if DLS loses, it will probably be close.

You could read that DLS struggles closing out games; which is required when playing good competition. The softies in Cali tire easily, thus benefitting DLS in state.

The verdict you ask? DLS is not great until they learn to not lose at the end of games.

You're welcome. ☺

1 minute ago, CCBlackhatter said:

You could read that DLS struggles closing out games. Which is required when playing good competition.

The verdict you ask? DLS is not great until they learn to not lose at the end of games.

You're welcome. ☺

I watched all three games live. IMHO those games were won by the opposing team more than they were lost by DLS. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mjd33 said:

It's Easy to get your kids to practice hard and buy in when playing a team that beat you few weeks earlier in mater dei. 

Harder to keep your kids attention and emotion up after the high of beating mater dei wears off plus next you know you are playing a team that should of probably lost to a team you beat 70-6 in Servite. Yes, that's 70-6. 

Maybe. But the SJB I saw wanted to make a statement against DLS. They wanted to put up all those points and execute well. Was the better opponent two weeks prior, sure, I'll agree. Did that mean they took DLS lightly? I respectfully disagree. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

I watched all three games live. IMHO those games were won by the opposing team more than they were lost by DLS. 

And before those games I'm sure everyone in California thought DLS was the better team and would win based on their mythical dominance.

This is the issue with Pops and others claiming DLS is always Top 25 and would win a state championship in every state almost every year since 1990.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CCBlackhatter said:

And before those games I'm sure everyone in California thought DLS was the better team and would win based on their mythical dominance.

Not sure. In each of those losses there was reasons to believe there were chinks in the DLS armor.

DLS should have lost twice before they lost to Bosco in '08. 

They had gotten their hat handed to them in '09 before the Lakeland loss.

They should have lost to Servite before the East game. 

There were definitely a lot of questions surrounding those teams and DLS was definitely not viewed as the overwhelming favorite going into these matchups.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mjd33 said:

First 5 weeks of sjc schedule prob hardest first 5 weeks for any schedule of all time. 

Orlando Jones - weakest of 5 but loaded with D1 players 

DLS- 3,000 miles away 

sjr home 

img in Florida 

sjb home 

FYI ... Here's a link to the Orlando Sentinel's story on St. John's 49-30 win over Jones High: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/highschool/os-sp-hs-jones-stjohns-football-0827-story.html

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 181pl said:

St. Johns is no joke. They always play IMG very tough. 

IMG's football varsity started competing in 2013. St. John's won their first meeting (in 2014), 35-2. (http://usatodayhss.com/2016/despite-age-differences-armour-bowl-opponents-img-and-st-johns-are-on-similar-paths)

However, the Ascenders dominated last year's "Amour Bowl" game, 35-14. (http://usatodayhss.com/2016/no-2-img-academy-fla-runs-away-from-no-18-st-johns-d-c)

13 minutes ago, almadenmike said:

FYI ... Here's a link to the Orlando Sentinel's story on St. John's 49-30 win over Jones High: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/highschool/os-sp-hs-jones-stjohns-football-0827-story.html

I didn't watch was only following along on maxpreps ....I second the lone comment on the article .... jones missed countless PATs and two point conversions. 

2 hours ago, PrepGridiron said:

Not sure. In each of those losses there was reasons to believe there were chinks in the DLS armor.

DLS should have lost twice before they lost to Bosco in '08. 

They had gotten their hat handed to them in '09 before the Lakeland loss.

They should have lost to Servite before the East game. 

There were definitely a lot of questions surrounding those teams and DLS was definitely not viewed as the overwhelming favorite going into these matchups.

In 2015, DLS was thought to have tgeir best team ever, and lost to a 2nd round loser in Trinity. Every team, every year from every state has weaknesses that can be exploited. Another reason why the DLS mythical dominance is absurd.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mjd33 said:

Sjb won the state title 2 weeks earlier against mater Dei.... and the week before that beat Corona centennial. They knew dls couldn't beat them and Played complacent and still were never not in control of the game. Went through the motions against dls..... checked the box and got the trophy. But they cleared the biggest hurdle (s) weeks prior. 

I hope your just trolling with this post.  If you really believe SJB was "going through the motions" in that game then you mos def did not watch.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

You could read that DLS struggles closing out games; which is required when playing good competition. The softies in Cali tire easily, thus benefitting DLS in state.

You're welcome. ☺

Lol.  Bless your little heart. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

In 2015, DLS was thought to have tgeir best team ever, and lost to a 2nd round loser in Trinity. Every team, every year from every state has weaknesses that can be exploited. Another reason why the DLS mythical dominance is absurd.

Ok. but that's not what the topic was. We were talking about the OOS games at home they lost. Those ones I think the other teams won. The trinity game i'd say it was a combo of DLS losing and Trinity winning. But this is silly talk. They were all L's

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

Excuse you!!!

trinity lost in the FIRST ROUND lol

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ATLien12x said:

trinity lost in the FIRST ROUND lol

Yet Trinity beat TX's state champs by 10 but DLS only by 5 (and in TX) and then only bc D. Asiasi couldn't hit a wide open receiver in the final moments of the game.

I still can't figure out whether that means that TX has a lot of really good teams at the top or a lot of really bad teams at the top.  

Given how often DLS's loss against Trinity is trotted out as evidence that CA football sucks, I guess it means that TX has a lot of really bad teams. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

I hope your just trolling with this post.  If you really believe SJB was "going through the motions" in that game then you mos def did not watch.  

I watched .... my point is do you think sjb got amped up for the DLS game as much as the cc or md game in playoffs ? 

Sjb knew dls couldn't beat them .... 

5 minutes ago, Mjd33 said:

I watched .... my point is do you think sjb got amped up for the DLS game as much as the cc or md game in playoffs ? 

Sjb knew dls couldn't beat them .... 

Hell yeah.

It was the Open Division Bowl Game, and it was against the most famous HSFB program ever. 

You can get amped up for other reasons, to show how great you are or to prove a point, etc.

Do you think Money got amped up for the Conor fight? 

Do you think Couture got amped up for the Toney fight? 

Of course they did.