PrepGridiron

DLS/SJC  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Will De La Salle avoid another OOS loss?

• No, another black eye for California
    • Yes...finally

Pops: No offense taken. I actually agree as I felt DLS was the better team much like I think SJB is better than STA this year but they both fell short on the above mentioned nights and that will never change. Unfortunately emotions play too big of a role in debating who should be placed where in the rankings.

For the most part you are correct about the culture and landscape of Tx football but where I differ is that there will always be several Tx schools that at any time during the year... be top ten worthy just like we have.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PrepGridiron said:

Speaking of which, this article appeared in USAToday about new SJC QB, Kevin Doyle. 

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/st-johns-doyle-adjusting-on-the-fly-as-the-no-18-cadets-play-at-no-7-de-la-salle

Nice read.   It's great to have a choice.  Good luck to him as that is one nasty motha of a schedule.   He better be treating the blind side OT well :).  

Very good articles.  Nice to have a little somethin' somethin' leading up to it.  This will be a good game.  I think DLS is going to have to dig deep.  If DLS has ever had a conditioning advantage, they'll need it in this game.  SJC will have to battle the travel, time diff, and the heat.  35-27 DLS in a slugfest.

10 hours ago, Pops said:

Don't mean to offend but believe DLS was better team that YEAR but not that night 

was a tough environment against a tough opponent -- imho that was the best DLS team that has ever been beat -- certainly had a case and won CP as #1 team, beating the consensus #1 in final game -- that team destroyed a slew of pretty good teams

i think the landscape is such that TX is likely to have fewer top 10s than CA/ FL, but more top 100s -- they're so anti private culturally in their state association that privates don't flourish, thus they get less super teams, but they have a lot of huge public schools and a rabid football culture -- they might have 40 or 50 of top 100 publics

I would agree whether it was the delay due to inclement weather, humidity, whatever. DLS fought hard but did not get the job done in TX. that night. But that certainly was not DLS best team ever. As far as them being the best 1 loss team, that they've ever had that seems reasonable.   

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

still scheduled to be 100 degrees at kickoff. hydration and depth will be important.

Ugh. This will be tough on the kids.  You make a good point about depth.  DLS's starting front 7 is pretty stout on defense, but I'm not sure what they have after that as far as depth goes.  The offense will likely be a typical DLS OL and RBs.  Again, not sure on the depth part though.  We know SJC will have some really big dudes, and probably a lot of them.  We shall see.....

With that heat it would be bad enough to be having to sit in the stands wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Going to be brutal having a football uniform and helmet on. Both sides will have to keep rotating players otherwise it will be like the DLS vs BG game where by the start of the 4th qtr. quite a few players for BG were bent over with their hands on their knees in between plays.  

11 hours ago, Pops said:

Don't mean to offend but believe DLS was better team that YEAR but not that night 

was a tough environment against a tough opponent -- imho that was the best DLS team that has ever been beat -- certainly had a case and won CP as #1 team, beating the consensus #1 in final game -- that team destroyed a slew of pretty good teams

i think the landscape is such that TX is likely to have fewer top 10s than CA/ FL, but more top 100s -- they're so anti private culturally in their state association that privates don't flourish, thus they get less super teams, but they have a lot of huge public schools and a rabid football culture -- they might have 40 or 50 of top 100 publics

Good post.  I've often thought that Trinity game cost DLS a MNC, and that may have been their best opportunity for awhile as the game is changing.  One thing I don't think I've ever seen anybody write on here in two years talking about it is I believe that pass Asiasi missed was the same pass he made in the state championship the year before.  Someone should confirm or deny on that.  But if confirmed, it's just kind of a what-could've-been-moment to think about.  In any case Trinity beat a good DLS team -- I don't really feel that way about some of the other losses.

Grid - Will you be headed out into the heat tomorrow night?  I think I'm going...

23 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

Ugh. This will be tough on the kids.  You make a good point about depth.  DLS's starting front 7 is pretty stout on defense, but I'm not sure what they have after that as far as depth goes.  The offense will likely be a typical DLS OL and RBs.  Again, not sure on the depth part though.  We know SJC will have some really big dudes, and probably a lot of them.  We shall see.....

How good/athletic are the DLS DBs? From video of last weelk's Orlando Jones game (link earlier in this thread), it looks like the SJC QB makes pretty good throws: long, sideline and crossing patterns.

Just now, almadenmike said:

How good/athletic are the DLS DBs? From video of last weelk's Orlando Jones game (link earlier in this thread), it looks like the SJC QB makes pretty good throws: long, sideline and crossing patterns.

They'll be good enough. They also play a bend don't break kind of defense, so I think they'll contain

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Grid - Will you be headed out into the heat tomorrow night?  I think I'm going...

>> 1DayPGA said: With that heat it would be bad enough to be having to sit in the stands wearing shorts and a t-shirt. 

I'll be there, driving up from San Jose.

It's my first time to see my HS team play since I graduated from SJC (many years ago). We're having a pre-game alumni event, too.  It should be a good game, as long as both teams handle the heat properly. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, almadenmike said:

>> 1DayPGA said: With that heat it would be bad enough to be having to sit in the stands wearing shorts and a t-shirt. 

It's my first time to see my HS team play since I graduated from SJC (many years ago). We're having a pre-game alumni event, too.  It should be a good game, as long as both teams handle the heat properly. 

That's awesome. Happy to meet up with any members of the board. Good luck to your school

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

In 2015, DLS was thought to have tgeir best team ever, and lost to a 2nd round loser in Trinity. Every team, every year from every state has weaknesses that can be exploited. Another reason why the DLS mythical dominance is absurd.

I believe one DLS person said this.  The rest said in the top 5 but not 1.  Then of course all the DLS haters took it and ran with it as tho it were gospel.  

7 minutes ago, almadenmike said:

Mike,

Very cool, and welcome to the board!  If you are interested, just bring your phone to the game as in the past we've coordinated more than one meet and greet using the game threads.

Should be fun.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

You must not read the daily diatribes of Pops and Aztec then.

You're bringing the streak up now. I could careless, because we know why that occured.

I'm talking about them being ranked in the Top 25 every damn year and the gazillion unearned MNCs because they beat one team from SoCal at the end of the year.

?????????