Extreme heat for Friday football games in California

BigDrop

Just now, golfaddict1 said:

Lol.  True.  Remember man hands lol.  For a show about nothing I refer to it very often.  

LOL.  The lobster breaking part was crazy funny. Lol.  This one always reminds me of the episode where the chick looks hot and then hella ugly depending on the lighting.  Forget the name they gave her.  Dang it.

31 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

As I type this "smoke and haze" is in the current and evening forecast for Concord.  112 is still predicted as the high for tomorrow.  Both are from Weather Underground.

"Smoke and haze?"  Can anyone who lives near there report what is going on?

Not sure. I thought it was possibly a fire. Could be smog like NotBigDaddy mentioned. Concord is in a valley, so if there is no wind from the Bay, smog can easily settle and sit like it does in the San Fernando Valley in SoCal. I heard one guy today describe it a bit like Las Vegas. It's really like a light brown cloud of haze just sitting above the skyline; can't even see Mt. Diablo from where I'm at right now.

2 hours ago, Gridiron Godfather said:

Just hopped out of my pool in Vegas and my pool water temp is hotter than it is in Santa Ana right now

From Accuweather @10:28 EST for Concord, CA.  

DAY

113°HIRealFeel® 114°Precipitation 0%

Very hot with blazing sunshine; extreme heat may be dangerous for outdoor activities

The sun sets @ 7:39 which is 21 minutes before the game is scheduled to start.  The air temperature will still be over 100 degrees.

This is not the Southwestern desert:  there will be some humidity with this.  And these are high school age kids who will be dressed in heavy equipment with a great deal of physical contact.  

I am asking the very serious question if excessive heat can preempt this game?

2 hours ago, BigDrop said:

The sun sets @ 7:39 which is 21 minutes before the game is scheduled to start.  The air temperature will still be over 100 degrees.

This is not the Southwestern desert:  there will be some humidity with this.  And these are high school age kids who will be dressed in heavy equipment with a great deal of physical contact.  

I am asking the very serious question if excessive heat can preempt this game?

Games in the Sacramento area have been rescheduled around the heat as of today.  Some got moved to later start times.  I guess the heat is really going to a factor.  More so that i thought.  I have not seen anything for the east bay as far as games being moved around to accommodate for the expected heat.  Im sure the coaches are telling the kids to start hydrating now. 

• Thanks 1

It won't be 109 when these games kickoff. It's the JV games that are mostly affected by this with a 5 or 530 start time. Many schools are cancelling their JV game or moving to another venue where they can start later and not have to compete with a Varsity team for the field. 

The Varsity games should be fine starting at 700 or 730. I've heard a few schools have moved their start time back to 800pm. 

The only Varsity game I've seen really affected is Folsom at Jesuit-Carmichael. Jesuit doesn't have lights so their home games are typically on Saturday afternoon. But their first 2 homes games, including this one against Folsom, was scheduled for 4:45pm on Friday --- right in the teeth of the heat. The game has since been relocated to Folsom under the lights. Jesuit gets the gate and is the home team. 

Btw, the weather here in Sac has been in the high 80's and low 90's for the past 8-9 days until ramping up this past Sat and Sun. One final heatwave, I guess. We haven't seen 107+ for a few weeks.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, BigDrop said:

As I type this "smoke and haze" is in the current and evening forecast for Concord.  112 is still predicted as the high for tomorrow.  Both are from Weather Underground.

"Smoke and haze?"  Can anyone who lives near there report what is going on?

There's a giant wildfire in Butte County (aka hella far away).

Unfortunately there's enough smoke and wind that you'd swear the fire was across the street.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, GloryDays said:

There's a giant wildfire in Butte County (aka hella far away).

Unfortunately there's enough smoke and wind that you'd swear the fire was across the street.

Flew in from San Diego to SoCo airport, thought I was flying over the SFV coming in. Got off smelled like a fire, figured a fire locally while gone. Then heard it was from Oroville? Offshore flow not moving that air out of the region.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Gridiron Godfather said:

Just hopped out of my pool in Vegas and my pool water temp is hotter than it is in Santa Ana right now

3 hours ago, BigDrop said:

From Accuweather @10:28 EST for Concord, CA.  

DAY

113°HIRealFeel® 114°Precipitation 0%

Very hot with blazing sunshine; extreme heat may be dangerous for outdoor activities

Talking about Santa Ana, not Concord

18 minutes ago, nascar624 said:

Been to Arizona and BIG difference between your dry heat and a more humid heat in Cali. I will take the hotter dry heat anyday.

We don't get heavy humidity here. 20-30% is high. I've been to AZ several times and was there last JULY. It doesn't cool down in the evenings there. Here, it does. I live in the foothills just outside of Sac, near most the SFL schools. It cools off pretty well most evenings due to the delta breeze. I typically can open my windows after 7 or 8pm, unless there just no air movement at all.

You can have the 117 degree low humidity heat that is still 100 late in the evening. I much prefer NorCal where it actually cools down in the evenings and you get some reprieve.

I honestly can't remember a year where heat was a factor like this to start off a season. I've seen games delayed or cancelled due to air quality from wild fires, but never a heat issue for Friday evening games. If it's happened, it hasn't happened often. A week ago it was 89-93.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ThunderRam said:

We don't get heavy humidity here. 20-30% is high. I've been to AZ several times and was there last JULY. It doesn't cool down in the evenings there. Here, it does. I live in the foothills just outside of Sac, near most the SFL schools. It cools off pretty well most evenings due to the delta breeze. I typically can open my windows after 7 or 8pm, unless there just no air movement at all.

You can have the 117 degree low humidity heat that is still 100 late in the evening. I much prefer NorCal where it actually cools down in the evenings and you get some reprieve.

I honestly can't remember a year where heat was a factor like this to start off a season. I've seen games delayed or cancelled due to air quality from wild fires, but never a heat issue for Friday evening games. If it's happened, it hasn't happened often. A week ago it was 89-93.

Lucky you. It stays in the high 90's come evening time where I live and I hate sweating, so yes I preferred the Dry heat I experienced in Az lol. Although if I had a choice, I pick somewhere it doesn't get much past 80 or drop much below 60, so that rules out both where i live and Az. lol

2 hours ago, Omaha Vol said:

More power to you then. You can keep it. I've lived in both environments and I'll take the high heat, low humidity any day over the alternative. That suffocating humidity is miserable! 

I've experienced 118 in Bullhead City, AZ and 116 in Baker, CA-both places felt like there was a flamethrower going down my throat with an, intense blistering heat lasered at the top of my head.  Humidity was irrelevant.  116 or 118 are insufferable.   A close friend lives in Bullhead City who moved from Santa Clarita (where it might have hit 105 on the hottest days) and regrets the move.  They tell stories about 123...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

I've experienced 118 in Bullhead City, AZ and 116 in Baker, CA-both places felt like there was a flamethrower going down my throat with an, intense blistering heat lasered at the top of my head.  Humidity was irrelevant.  116 or 118 are insufferable.   A close friend lives in Bullhead City who moved from Santa Clarita (where it might have hit 105 on the hottest days) and regrets the move.  They tell stories about 123...

Anything over 100 sucks. It's been 106+ the last couple of days where I live, and it doesn't cool down much at night(Usually does). 

• Thanks 1