Extreme heat for Friday football games in California

BigDrop

Games in the SRV area have been rescheduled as well.....

News

Information Related to Extreme Heat and Air Quality

The smoke and the haze that is affecting the San Ramon Valley right now is being blown this direction from fires in Butte County and Grass Valley. Due to the poor air quality and extreme heat predicted today through Monday, all SRVUSD outdoor activities including P.E. were moved indoors today and will moved inside again tomorrow.

In addition, to ensure the safety of our students, coaches, parents and community supporters, due to the extreme heat conditions and poor air quality, all indoor and outdoor SRVUSD middle and high school athletic activities, including all home, neutral and away practices and competitions, are cancelled starting today through Monday, September 4. This includes all CIF fall sports: cross country, tennis, football, water polo, golf and volleyball.

• In addition to our fall middle and high school sports, this cancellation applies to extracurricular and co-curricular activities involving marching band, cheerleading, color guard, pom and dance teams starting today through Monday.

• The only exception to this directive is that coaches or directors may meet with students in a classroom as long as the meeting does not include any physical exertion.

With poor air quality and temperatures predicted to rise to 111 degrees in the coming days, fields, courts, pool decks, golf courses and trails will rise to even higher temperatures. In addition, many indoor sporting facilities are not air-conditioned.

Our goal is to ensure the safety of our students, staff, parents and community. This decision was made with the full support of the North Coast Section Commissioner, Gil Lemmon. We have also been in communication with San Ramon Valley Fire District Chief and are monitoring the air quality.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BigDrop said:

Totally understand:  the extreme heat is statewide, even 115 in Palm Springs and 105 up around Santa Clarita.  San Jose with blistering heat, too.

I can attest to the blistering heat in San Jo.  Thank God its a 3 day weekend and the whole building is leaving work early so I can get down to Carmel and hit the beach for a few waves before having to leave for my sons game.  Even in Carmel its in the 80's!!!  Now thats unheard of. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pops said:

Am currently enjoying a mid 70s day in the San Juan Islands but just for an update that today expected to be a record in Concord with game time (8 pm) temp 90+

Not sure who this might favor -- maybe DLS just because they're bigs are smaller

Mid 70's but feels like 90.  Man, you get soft up here in the NW.   Was in Redding a while back and it was 115 or so and it felt like 140.

#charminultrasoft

3 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

Mid 70's but feels like 90.  Man, you get soft up here in the NW.   Was in Redding a while back and it was 115 or so and it felt like 140.

#charminultrasoft

Redding.  One of NorCals orphaned citys after the joined the central valley as being a huge meth capitol. Driven by it many times on my way up north but do not think I have ever been there.  Other than to stop for gas and piss. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1DayPGA said:

It is a scorcher today but there's no way to postpone this game. I feel bad for not only the players but the coaching staff, volunteers, and the band members. That's got suck wearing a band uniform in this heat. :$

Down here in Texas, the band just wears shorts and t-shirts when it's really hot.

2 hours ago, AztecPadre said:

Redding.  One of NorCals orphaned citys after the joined the central valley as being a huge meth capitol. Driven by it many times on my way up north but do not think I have ever been there.  Other than to stop for gas and piss. 

If you stop don't.  Interesting place if you are interested in watching people on the hunt for a $20 bag.  Lot of good people too of course but it is an interesting little city.  Lake Shasta is awesome though and well worth a week or two of camping right on the lake, you can even rent a houseboat which will come in handy in case you need to escape from the brown bears that are around. 

17 hours ago, nascar624 said:

Lucky you. It stays in the high 90's come evening time where I live and I hate sweating, so yes I preferred the Dry heat I experienced in Az lol. Although if I had a choice, I pick somewhere it doesn't get much past 80 or drop much below 60, so that rules out both where i live and Az. lol

Just curious, what area are you in?

I've always lived in the northeastern suburbs of Sacramento. Citrus Heights, Orangevale, Roseville, Rocklin. And I work in Folsom. While we certainly do get 6-8 weeks of hot 100+ weather, it consistently cools down most Summer nights. Mid-80's to low 90's on warm nights, but into the 70's and even sometimes high 60's when the delta breeze is really working well. That's why they built the new Golden 1 Center with hangar doors that open, to take advantage of that cooling breeze.

I thought you lived in this area or near it at least??

Granted, I'm fortunate to live in a somewhat elevated foothill area with no houses and only a greenbelt behind me which allows for the breeze to really hit. My friend in Roseville isn't as fortunate, but it still cools of quite well where he lives. Though he is from the Bay area and only likes to wear fall/winter clothing, so nothing is ever cool enough for him! :)

17 hours ago, Omaha Vol said:

More power to you then. You can keep it. I've lived in both environments and I'll take the high heat, low humidity any day over the alternative. That suffocating humidity is miserable! 

But we don't have high humidity here. That's the thing. We hit 107-110 during the worst couple of days of the Summer but are usually somewhere between 90-105 for most of the Summer with humidity at 30% or below. 50% is considered a dry climate.

When we hit those 107 degree days, it is usually with low humidity and it typically cools down in the evenings by 20-30 degrees. So we have exactly what you are describing. I couldn't live in a humid environment. It's not for me.

13 hours ago, aZjimbo said:

I guess global cooling is hitting Phoenix as we shiver at 107 degrees.

As I type this there is catastrophic flooding in India and Bangladesh with more than 1,200 who have died and several million out of their homes.  Terrifying experiences for the countries who are experiencing life changing weather and climate.

I must mention that my brother lives in Pensacola and he and his wife have experienced 26 inches of rain in a 24 hours period a couple of years ago where a significant part of Pensacola was flooded.  He tells the story that his house, which is elevated on an island like setting in the middle of his plot of land, was almost underwater from the extreme rain.  He also lived near Houston for several years and notes now that any mention of rain scares he hell out of him.

For myself I worry about several inches of rain.  26 inches, 50+ inches, the first floor high flooding of India and Bangladesh are nightmares.  

I must also mention that for $499 I took out Federal flood insurance on our house in Reston, VA today.  Serious.  We are in a low risk area but for me it is peace of mind.  There's a $250,000 limit on the payout and a $1250 deductible but it is cheaper than going to a therapist or a year's supply of Xanax.

4 hours ago, AztecPadre said:

I can attest to the blistering heat in San Jo.  Thank God its a 3 day weekend and the whole building is leaving work early so I can get down to Carmel and hit the beach for a few waves before having to leave for my sons game.  Even in Carmel its in the 80's!!!  Now thats unheard of. 

Carmel is one of the most beautiful places on earth.

26 minutes ago, ThunderRam said:

It's hot, no doubt. But is it really that hot? My wifes car always reads 4-5 degrees hotter than it really is. Cars retain a lot of heat.

Yeah I always feel the same about the car temps. Car showed 116 at one point  My phone said 110 and passed one thermostat at 113 around the same time as the 111! Got out of the car a bit later, felt pretty damn accurate. Anything over is 100 gross.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pops said:

Am currently enjoying a mid 70s day in the San Juan Islands but just for an update that today expected to be a record in Concord with game time (8 pm) temp 90+

Not sure who this might favor -- maybe DLS just because they're bigs are smaller

There is a GREAT wine shop in Anacortes that is well worth going out of your way for if you are into wine.  I am a huge fan of WA reds.  This may be the single best wine shop in the entire state of Washington.  Serious.  

Compass Wines in Anacortes:  https://www.compasswines.com/about-us/