Massachusetts Thread

Adam Kurkjian

10 hours ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

Franklin Pierce. Maybe pushing it a little with the 'local,' since Franklin Pierce is New Hampshire.

I think their schedule is mostly filled up, too. Two Mass. teams stepped up from what I've been told: Mansfield and Lawrence High (not Lawrence Academy, which would have been big news).

Mansfield's first two games are going to be pretty big around here: BC High Week 1 followed by Everett. Mansfield will be good this year, returns a ton, but both will be challenges.

I can see Mansfield vs Everett, but I think Lawrence is in for a long day.

I’m curious as to why they would take this game.

• Like 1

It's official.

Everett QB Jake Willcox has transferred to Milton Academy and will reclassify to 2020, repeating his junior year.

For those scoring at home, since winning its second straight Div. 1 title, Everett has lost:

- its head coach

- its OL coach

- its defensive coordinator

- its blue-chip safety recruit with offers from basically everyone

- its starting quarterback who completed over 70 percent of his passes in 2017

... yet Everett will still be a top 5 team in the state most likely, in no small part because most of the best teams also lost quite a bit (but not nearly that much).

Things get very interesting now. Hard to say who the top team in the state will be. Milton gets a nice boost, for sure. They have a very good core that includes one of the best RB/OLB prospects in the country. Most of these guys will have two years together. Top half of the ISL will be very competitive.

But, best team in the state? Man, right now, who knows?

More big Mass. coaching news.

BC High coach and AD Jon Bartlett is stepping down as coach but will remain as AD. It's unclear at the moment who the successor would be.

BC High is a huge Catholic school that draws from a massive area, from Boston all the way to Cape Cod. Numbers are never a problem and for whatever reason they always seem to have an OL full of 6-5, 275-and-up kids.

We'll see what happens. As far as offseasons in Massachusetts go, this is one of the crazier ones in recent memory. It's not like other parts of the country with "transfer season," but a lot of coach and player movement at major schools.

The landscape has changed drastically in a very short amount of time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another transfer for Milton Academy, as Medfield's Mitchell Gonser (6-1, 200, WR/DB/ATH) is headed over and will reclassify as a junior. Not sure what his college potential is, but he'll be one of the best players in the ISL.

Milton is making a push for preseason No. 1 if you're combining NEPSAC and MIAA teams. Most of their best players will be juniors and sophomores, too.

We'll know more about how things stack up when a couple things happen:

— BC High picks a coach

— The transfers shake out

Until then, your guess is as good as mine.

• 1 month later...

Everything's gone bonkers in this state right now. All the "transfer season" stuff you see in other parts of the country has taken over here, too.

Zak Zinter, a c/o 2020 offensive tackle from St. John's Prep, is going to BB&N. He will not repeat a year like you can do in the ISL, although that's a draw for a lot of these kids. He was already receiving interest from D1 schools and got offered by BC at their camp.

Two of Marshfield's best players, Jackson and Casey Phinney, transferred and reclassified to Nobles, another ISL school. Casey is c/o 2021 I believe (hard to keep track), a LB, and was offered by Michigan.

An eighth-grader at BB&N (a 15yo 8th grader) got offered by Michigan, too. Tyler Martin is his name. He's a linebacker. Very good player.

Medfield High has now lost four players from last year's team to ISL/NEPSAC teams, including Mitch Gosner, who was its quarterback and will now play WR/LB at Milton Academy. He's also repeating his junior year.

Everett has picked up a bunch of transfers, too, but that's happened for a while now.

There are a lot of reasons for all the movement, and it varies vase by case, but the player and coach movement around the state has just been crazy.

Oh, and to piggyback off what MA Fan posted, the Malden Catholic game has at least created a good NL game. Everett will play BC High.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

Everett has picked up a bunch of transfers, too, but that's happened for a while now.

If I've asked this already, forgive me, in your opinion is Everett still the team to beat in MA this year? Even with some of the transfers you've mentioned? 

On 4/8/2018 at 3:44 PM, Adam Kurkjian said:

It's official.

Everett QB Jake Willcox has transferred to Milton Academy and will reclassify to 2020, repeating his junior year.

For those scoring at home, since winning its second straight Div. 1 title, Everett has lost:

- its head coach

- its OL coach

- its defensive coordinator

- its blue-chip safety recruit with offers from basically everyone

- its starting quarterback who completed over 70 percent of his passes in 2017

... yet Everett will still be a top 5 team in the state most likely, in no small part because most of the best teams also lost quite a bit (but not nearly that much).

Things get very interesting now. Hard to say who the top team in the state will be. Milton gets a nice boost, for sure. They have a very good core that includes one of the best RB/OLB prospects in the country. Most of these guys will have two years together. Top half of the ISL will be very competitive.

But, best team in the state? Man, right now, who knows?

Yep... makes the upcoming season a hell of a lot more interesting.

On 6/6/2018 at 4:04 PM, Omaha Vol said:

If I've asked this already, forgive me, in your opinion is Everett still the team to beat in MA this year? Even with some of the transfers you've mentioned? 

It's really hard to say. Depends on if we're factoring in the non-PG NEPSACs and how the rosters shake out. We'll know fast because they open at Xaverian and at Mansfield. Two good tests. I can tell you the kids are confident. But there was just so much turnover it's hard to expect the same type of team they had last year. I do think out of the two MIAAs, you'll see the top two go at it that first week in X-Everett.

• 4 weeks later...

Some transfer news...

— Two of Marshfield's best players, QB Jackson Phinney and LB Casey Phinney, transferred to ISL school Nobles. Casey has a Michigan offer.

— St. John's Prep offensive tackle Zak Zinter, who has a BC offer, transferred to ISL school BB&N (which might be the best team in the ISL).

— Price Stevens, a LB/RB from Bishop Sullivan Catholic, has transferred to Catholic Memorial.

— Looks like Ahmik Watterson from Science Hill (Tenn.) has transferred to Brockton.

I'm sure there are others, but these ones stick out the most at the most.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

Some transfer news...

— Two of Marshfield's best players, QB Jackson Phinney and LB Casey Phinney, transferred to ISL school Nobles. Casey has a Michigan offer.

— St. John's Prep offensive tackle Zak Zinter, who has a BC offer, transferred to ISL school BB&N (which might be the best team in the ISL).

— Price Stevens, a LB/RB from Bishop Sullivan Catholic, has transferred to Catholic Memorial.

— Looks like Ahmik Watterson from Science Hill (Tenn.) has transferred to Brockton.

I'm sure there are others, but these ones stick out the most at the most.

All types of high profile player transfers in Mass. I guess. The privates are trying to all step up their programs at the same time?

2 hours ago, NYHSFAN33 said:

All types of high profile player transfers in Mass. I guess. The privates are trying to all step up their programs at the same time?

It's gotten more and more prolific over the last few years, but I've never seen this many transfers as this offseason.

The NEPSAC teams have gotten a lot more aggressive. The fact that they can offer a reclassification year is not the whole thing, but it's a big part. Colleges like the fact that a kid can basically have a HS redshirt year before he gets to the next level.

• Thanks 1

A few things...

— From what I've been told, Ahmik Watterson from Tennessee (Science Hill) is either going to Brockton or Bridgewater-Raynham. Apparently he played with Brockton in their 7 on 7 league and put on a show. Needless to say, that's worth keeping an eye on.

— This is a big one. Isaac Seide of Melrose may be transferring to Everett. Seide was an All-Scholastic RB that led Melrose to the Division 4 state title last season. He was the Boston Globe's Division 4 Player of the Year last fall. If he's not the best running back in the state, he's at least close. He holds a UNH offer. This would make six Division 1-offered (FBS or FCS) kids in the senior class for the Tide. Again, stay tuned.

Right now, Everett has to deal with all the coaching turnover and the loss of mega-recruit Lewis Cine and starting quarterback Jake Willcox transferring out. But if Seide does in fact transfer to Everett, the Tide would have the best talent in the state by a fairly wide margin. They have the best combination of linemen in the state, and no one would be able to match their skill, either.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2018 at 6:00 PM, Adam Kurkjian said:

Some transfer news...

Does Nobles have boarding at all? New coach there had a ton of talented Canadian players at Episcopal.

4 minutes ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

I’m not sure on that. Maybe.

Is Nobles traditionally strong in football?  My best friend from college went there and played on the O-Line.  I love the kid like a brother, but to give you an idea of his athletic prowess -  as a senior he wouldn’t be starting on Bergen’s frosh team...

43 minutes ago, Hardcore Troubador said:

Is Nobles traditionally strong in football?  My best friend from college went there and played on the O-Line.  I love the kid like a brother, but to give you an idea of his athletic prowess -  as a senior he wouldn’t be starting on Bergen’s frosh team...

Nobles is not one of the traditional powers in that league, at least lately. They're starting to get some good players now, but over their past, their best kid would maybe be an Ivy kid. You're starting to see more ISLs get real players now, though.

Just now, Adam Kurkjian said:

Nobles is not one of the traditional powers in that league, at least lately. They're starting to get some good players now, but over their past, their best kid would maybe be an Ivy kid. You're starting to see more ISLs get real players now, though.

Very interesting, thanks!  Same phenomenon happening in NJ with the prep schools, 2 of them esp., Peddie School and Hun School.

• Like 1

Went to the Northeast 7 on 7's North regional today up in Exeter, N.H. Will go to the South one tomorrow in Easton, Mass. There is an East one at St. John's Prep in Danvers, then a final at Xaverian in Westwood with the 10 top teams.

Some quick-hitters:

— The best MIAA team there, by a wide margin, was Milton High. The Wildcats are in Division 4 and run the spread very well, so a 7v7 setting is perfect for them. If they have competent line play and a solid defense, they'll be very good, because their speed is hard to deal with for most teams up here.

— St. John's Prep looked OK, but was outclassed by Milton in the quarters. That said, 7v7 isn't really the Prep's game. They get their big linemen and lean on you for four quarters until you quit. Still, the Eagles won't be able to do that against everyone. Maybe some of their kids didn't show up, I don't know, but they didn't have the speed of the top teams at this event.

— There were mostly New Hampshire teams there, and host Exeter was solid even though it is a running team. There are a handful of top contenders up there this year, but not one dominant squad.

— Wahconah out of Western Mass. had a good day, advancing out of its group. It's a smaller school (Division 7), but will be solid for its size.

— No one is expecting much out of Amesbury, but it advanced to the semifinals and its kids were having a blast, throwing passes to linemen and stuff.

— Woburn had a solid day, and the Merrimack Valley Conference teams like Haverhill, Methuen and Billerica all showed well.

— The best team was Suffield Academy (Conn.), a Class A NEPSAC with post-grads. It won, 20-18, over Milton in the final, and has a junior quarterback named Tyler Van Dyke who already has a bunch of offers.

— BB&N out of the ISL also played well and lost to Suffield in one of the semis. The Knights are probably the favorites in the ISL right now.

— Heard another bombshell transfer rumor to Everett, but going to keep it under my hat for now. Safe to say that this transfer stuff isn't slowing down at all.

• Like 1

Northeast 7v7 South regional was yesterday. A few things:

— Dennis-Yarmouth has just reloaded. The Dolphins lost a lot from last year, but the kids replacing them did outstanding yesterday. They have excellent receivers and defensive backs, and the quarterback was on the money all day. I expect them to be very good again.

— The team that won, Scituate, lost to D-Y in the Div. 5 South final a year ago, but will be right back in the mix this season. Good quarterback and tall, athletic receivers. Beat some very good teams.

— Two Connecticut teams, St. Joseph (Trumbull) and Greenwich, played well. St. Joseph made the quarters before losing to D-Y, and Greenwich made the semis before losing to Scituate. Both quarterbacks on those teams were very good. Tall, big arms.

— Xaverian and Brockton were both in Scituate's group and neither had a great day. Xaverian was better, but lost by two touchdowns to Scituate and then couldn't keep up with D-Y in the playoffs. I still expect both teams to be fine when the pads come on. X rotated three quarterbacks and Brockton still is unsure of whether it is getting Ahmik Watterson or if he is going to Bridgewater-Raynham. That will be big either way.

— BC High didn't do very well, but it didn't look like the Eagles brought a huge group.

— King Philip also didn't do great, but the Warriors will be fine. They'll run the ball a lot, and their line will be bigger than normal.

— Mansfield had a solid day, along with teams like Duxbury, Foxboro, Bridgewater-Raynham, Whitman-Hanson, Barnstable (which made the final four), Stoughton, Canton, and a few others that I can't think of right now.

Comparing Saturday to Sunday, Dennis-Yarmouth, Scituate and Milton, in my opinion, were all terrific as the MIAA reps going to the finals coming up. I see all three as top 25 teams in the MIAA, unless I'm missing something. The clear best team was easily Suffield Academy (Conn.), but they have post-grads and won't play any  of these teams when the season starts.

• Like 1

Just got a call from a Brockton guy who told me that it's official: Ahmik Watterson will be playing there. Huge news for the Boxers. Their running game was going to be good regardless, and now they have another guy who can make a huge impact there. They have some good receivers, but they have an all-senior offensive line with a 6-4, 250-lb tight end. Look for a lot of full-house backfield sets. Supposedly Watterson will come as a junior and need a waiver to play as a senior.

• Like 1